Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gps'r poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: RE: gps'r poll Reply with quote

We use a Garmin 12 and a Garmin GPSMap 76S primarily. We also have an Ipaq for keeping logs and use GPXViewer to take cache info in pocket queries with us. The 76S is loaded with Topo Canada maps for areas we aren't familiar with.

Lagavulin

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd post my gear...
I picked up a Lowrance iWay350c with my airmiles. LOVE it. Found a few caches with it, then picked up an older Garmin 12xl on eBay. Between the two, they serve my purposes. I also have my trust Toshiba 330e Pocket PC with the exported html files from GSAK to do the paperless thing.
ChargerDad

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin GPSmap 60Cx...... wouldn't trade it for anything else!

junglehair

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChargerDad wrote:
Garmin GPSmap 60Cx...... wouldn't trade it for anything else!

I'll second that! I love my 60cx.
Oldson

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Magellan eXplorist XL is the unit of choice for me, it took the place of my old one the Magellan 315.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's my turn to introduce Lucy and Ethel, my GPSr's ...

Lucy was my first GPSr, purchased when I started caching back in 2002. She's old enough that I can only show her in sepia-tones.

She's a Magellan GPS 310. Back in the day, she was state-of-the-art technology. She has the ability of storing 500 Landmarks (now known as waypoints). She stopped working at one point, and I had to go into semi retirement from geocaching.

I then acquired Ethel from a co-worker. Ethel was a step up (or two) from Lucy, a Garmin eTrex Vista. She had mapping capabilities (oooooo).

Soon after Ethel came to live with me, I found a way to fix Lucy. I then had the two to work with. Although, I tend to use Ethel pretty much exclusive, I find Lucy comes in handy when trying to narrow in on a cache. Lucy is getting board-and-room with my friend, ava_ad0re.

In addition to Lucy and Ethel, my friend Mr. Reachy comes in handy when trying to get my hands on any skaven-esque cache.

I think if I get a compass, I'll have to name him Desi ... or Mr. Pointy.

Here endeth my tale of my GPSr fambly. Wink

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: RE: gps'r poll Reply with quote

Dragonfreys wrote:
We use a Garmin 12 and a Garmin GPSMap 76S primarily. We also have an Ipaq for keeping logs and use GPXViewer to take cache info in pocket queries with us. The 76S is loaded with Topo Canada maps for areas we aren't familiar with.<br><br>

Whoops that's a bit dated. We now use a Garmin GPSMap 60cx as well, with the 12 as backup. We use the GSAK html for cache pages on the Ipaq and keep notes on the 60cx or Ipaq.

burchil

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a few - but only basic mapping (if any) and no colour in the lot. I have an early GPS 12 which I really liked for work in the field. Unfortunately I smoked the powersupply - currently being fixed as a RRC project. My next was GPS76 - It floats and fit the bill, I thought for paddling. Really slow in the cold and tends to go through batteries. I bought a GPS 60 from funds from a course I taught - this is the GPS I normally use. It had to be sent back once for repair under warranty. I ran a course a few years ago and someone showed up with a Lowrance - no idea how to get through the menus so bought an IFinder Pro on an end of run sale. I have briefly owned a Magellan 300, Geko 201, and GPS 60CS but they had to go back.
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin 60 CX over here :}
MHz

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the GPSmap 60CX to my collection and love it too! My Garmin GPS V is now installed in my truck tracking system and my very old Garmin GPS III Plus is being played with by Gord who is enjoying the better satilite acquistion it has over his Etrex Venture.

Course none of these beat his Outback that tells him where to drive his tractor in the field. http://www.outbackguidance.com/product/specifications.asp
Now if only we could find a nice light 12 Volt battery to carry with us, the Outback would give us amazing accuracy on the hunt !

MHz

migoyin

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Migo got an Explorist 400 for christmas because he loves hiking but often gets lost. He stumbled on geocaching online one day... so then we both gave it a try and absolutely LOVED it.

We are actually considering investing in a couple of the Rino series GPS units so we can both keep in touch when camping/hiking... does anyone have experience with these units?
Georgia

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Christmas present was a Magellan Explorist 500LE.... oh boy, on sale!
I only know the half of it, but I guess I will catch on in time. There needs to be more hours in the day Confused

1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Etrex Legend Cx ? Reply with quote

We're thinking of buying one of these guys. We just can't swing the Garmin 60Cx so...this is what we like the look of - how much are additional maps for cities? Is it true that the basemaps are the same in all the Garmin Products? Do you think we should buy this one?
lizardo

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: I'm confused... Reply with quote

What are you thinking of buying?
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Subject line Reply with quote

Garmin Etrex Legend Cx. Sorry it was in the subject line. It is more affordable than the 60cx for us. So we were wondering what Legend users thought about it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: