Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More than 500 geocache Pocket Query - good system for MB.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: More than 500 geocache Pocket Query - good system for MB. Reply with quote

If anyone is still kinda batting around ideas to get more than 500 different waypoints... I've come up with the perfect "set it and forget it" type solution. Well... for Manitoba, anyway Razz.

It's still technically not 100% set-and-forget, but significantly less tweaking than the date method, where one PQ will consistantly get more caches in it, and the other won't.

Yesterday, I decided to play around with PQ's again. I figured I'd attempt to find a way to get 900 PQ's onto my Garmin (the internal-memory max being 1000, since like... 95% of my memory card is full of maps ). I picked 900 so I'd have room to play around with personal waypoints, as well as leave room for my "specifically winter-friendly" list of about 80 caches. Again, I wanted to avoid the 'date' method, do to it's constantly changing nature.

Hence... I decided to try to work with cache size. I attempted to play with cache-type once, but could never get a relatively even balance when using two PQ's, but cache size was a new playing field.

I basically kept trying different combinations, different numbers per PQ (totalling 900), and then previewing it, going to the last page, and seeing how far the furthest one from me was. If I could get the two distances to near-match, things would be good.

And thus... I got a near-perfect balance between the two. Since I decided to go with 900 specifically, it gave me a bit of room to play with the amount per PQ as well, to even things out. I've found that (at least in Manitoba, anyway), if you go with 400 Virtual, Regular, Other, Unknown (or 400 VROU as I called it), and 500 Small, Large, Micro (listed as 500 SLM), they near perfect balance eachother out.

The VROU ended up being 291.4 km away for the furthest point it reached. The SLM was 296.1 km for the furthest. Technically, I could have probably tweaked it to 498 and 402 or so... but 500 and 400 are just nice, round numbers .

BUT... yes... my objective had been reached. Since I'm going by cache sizes, it's going to be an average percentage of each size over the 900 total. Hence, as more caches are added, they should have at least approximately the same percentage of types added over time... thus not needing to tweak it as much.

So... just thought I'd share my tale with anyone else looking to want more than 500 geocaches in their PQ, and not want to work with date.
Peter and Gloria

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With over 1000 caches in Manitoba, using dates is the best method to capture all caches. Tweaking is rarely required.
These date haven't been tweaked since before PBD did all his archiving in Oct.
PQ 1 - Jan 01 2000 to Apr 22 2006 445
PQ 2 - Apr 23 2006 to Sep 21 2006 473
PQ 3 - Sep 22 2006 to Dec 31 2007 132
When PQ 3 gets close to 500, then the dates could be tweaked to get PQ 1 & 2 back near 500.
junglehair

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always just run a PQ of 500 caches around my home coordinates and update it once a week or so. If I am travelling outside of that radius, then I will run PQs for the location I am going to and a PQ along the route if necessary.
ertyu

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

junglehair wrote:
I always just run a PQ of 500 caches around my home coordinates and update it once a week or so. If I am travelling outside of that radius, then I will run PQs for the location I am going to and a PQ along the route if necessary.

Is it predictable which caches get excluded when you hit the 500 limit?
junglehair

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ertyu wrote:
junglehair wrote:

Is it predictable which caches get excluded when you hit the 500 limit?

I believe it just goes by distance, so the closest 500 matching your search criteria is what is sent to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: