Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache Crush 2007! (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that we should consider a staggered release for the caches to make it easier on the cache reviewer...
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Cache Crush Reply with quote

Worked well last year so another would be great.

HIGH PRIORITIES That 1Q4J see...
Love to see more hidden rurally - every 1/2 mile or so especially. Cache density in rural areas - what a great thing that would be. How else can we entice you city folk to visit us hicks in the country...

If we could reward people it would be for...
MAJOR points for city cachers hiding outside city limits!!!!
Major points for caches that will remain cacheable ALL YEAR LONG. FLOOD, WINTER ETC.
Extra points for great swag.
Extra points for those who create and hide 3-4 caches along a route just to improve the fun in a section of Manitoba highway.
Extra points to those cachers who make available (Long-term) transportation such as canoes or 4X4's or bikes etc. to find their unique caches...
Points to those who PLAN cache events within the hiding/finding period that cachers of all ages can attend.
The-Stuntman

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of another "blitz" type event.
I think the name cache crush sounds as though you find the cache and step on it.
I would like to suggest "Cache Splash"
A points system that rewards unique, unusual, scenic or just plain fun caches gets my vote.
Placing a bad cache just to boost your hiding points should be frowned upon.
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring has Sprung!

I’m a fan of releasing the Cache-Crush caches through the month of May. Some other associations have arranged with the cache approvers to release the caches all at once, but it gets quite crazy and I think it’s over too quickly. It’s good if you want to have a FTF race – but I think the idea here is challenge Manitoba cachers to put out a lot of quality caches.

I like all the ideas to encourage hiders to put out fun caches. As this is primarily a hiding event, I think awarding “bonus points” for caches that go the extra mile is a great way to recognize the top hiders at the end of the summer.

-5 points for a film canister in a conifer Laughing

Of course the more “bonus categories” the more difficult it becomes for the “officials” to keep track of the score. One possible way around this is to leave it up to the hider to let the score-keeper know if they think their cache rates bonus points.

Some other feedback from last year was the voting system had too many categories. For my two cents, I think having lots of prizes for “most hider points” and keeping voting down to one or two categories (Favourite Cache and Best Log Entry for example) ensures more of the top hiders come away with prizes!
MBeans

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. I'm working on a new cache to release in May. Do I need to have "Blitz" or "Crush" in the name or can it just be released in May to be part of the cache crush?
ThreeTs

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBeans wrote:
I have a question. I'm working on a new cache to release in May. Do I need to have "Blitz" or "Crush" in the name or can it just be released in May to be part of the cache crush?

Good question. I'm leaning towards a "Yes" and it will likely be SPLASH that you have to have in the name. We have not confirmed any rules yet so I can't say for sure. Stay tuned for full details to be released in early April. Dancing

1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: MBGA SPLASH Reply with quote

Well we're gearing up for our spring hide-a-thon again - found a number of good spots. So can we start listing beginning of May or what? We want to list ours quick and then get to finding instead of hiding all month this time so ...No rush or anything. Give us the go ahead and we're gone!
slippery_1

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel this year I may not be able to compete with this crunch time, and even be competative to even a slow turdle, whom I might add came behind me the slippery_1 of the north last year. Even with his cheating he came in and even making caches up in two or three parts last time he could not keep up to the northern guy who just followed the KISS method.
So I will move over, but not enough to allow the pokey turdle to win without at least an effort.
grnbrg

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: MBGA SPLASH Reply with quote

1Queenand4Jokers wrote:
Well we're gearing up for our spring hide-a-thon again - found a number of good spots. So can we start listing beginning of May or what? We want to list ours quick and then get to finding instead of hiding all month this time so ...No rush or anything. Give us the go ahead and we're gone!

Ok, here are the preliminary rules and categories. These may change slightly before the event starts up, but this should give you an idea...

The MBGA Cache Splash event is to be a "hide scavenger hunt". There will be a range of requirements published, and each cache published must meet the requirements of one category. Each category has a score, and the most total points wins.

The current draft rules:
In order to qualify for points in the "MBGA Cache Splash" event, caches must:

• Be published between 12:00 am, May 1st and 11:59pm May 31st.
  • Have the word "Splash" somewhere in the title.
  • Include the html code provided at <link to site> at the bottom of
    the description. We will (probably) be providing a web form that will provide some custom html that can be cut and pasted into the description.
  • Meet the requirements for *one* of the "Cache Splash" categories.
    Caches cannot be be in more than category.
  • Must be active until September 1st. Caches that are muggled must be promptly
    replaced.
  • Caches that are found to not meet the stated category requirements
    will not be counted.
  • There is no limit to the number of caches that may be placed in a
    given category.
  • Categories specifying a minimum distance to a neighboring caches will be confirmed when published, but will not be disqualified by subsequent hides within the stated minimum radius.
  • A cacher who places his or her first cache will earn a 10 point bonus.

The current draft list of categories and points is as follows:

1. 2 Points -- Container made of plumbing parts.
  2. 2 Points -- Hidden in a pine tree. (-2 points for a spruce tree.)
  3. 2 Points -- Multi cache hide.
  4. 2 Points -- Puzzle cache hide.
  5. 2 Points -- Special equipment required.
  6. 3 Points -- “Splash" themed cache.
  7. 3 Points -- Cache hidden at least 500m from a paved road.
  8. 3 Points -- Homemade container. (No ammo can, L&L, Altoid tins, etc)
  9. 3 Points -- Large cache.
  10. 3 Points -- More than 10m above ground.
  11. 3 Points -- More than 50km from your home co-ordinates.
  12. 3 Points -- Multi-Puzzle Cache hide.
  13. 3 Points -- Nighttime only cache.
  14. 3 Points -- Place a TCDNMB (Trans Canada Highway Manitoba) or a YLHDMB (Yellowhead Manitoba) cache
  15. 3 Points -- Regular cache within 10m of a paved road.
  16. 3 Points -- Regular urban anti-cammo cache. Container must be brightly coloured, and within an urban centre. (Urban parks are ok.)
  17. 3 Points -- Rural cache 20km away from it's closest neighbor.
  18. 3 Points -- Swimming or wading required to retrieve cache.
  19. 3 Points -- Urban cache 2km away from it's closest neighbor
  20. 3 Points -- Urban cache hidden in plain site which is visible from 20metres away
  21. 3 Points -- Wheelchair/stroller accessible cache.
  22. 3 Points -- Winter friendly hide
  23. 3 Points -- Wooden container.
  24. 4 Points -- Cacher Tribute themed cache. A cache dedicated to your favorite cacher. (Please ask the subject of the cache for permission, first.)
  25. 4 Points -- Difficulty 5 cache hide.
  26. 4 Points -- In an Rural Municipality that doesn't currently have a hide in it
  27. 4 Points -- Large cammo'd cache. Must blend with surroundings. No cammo tape allowed.
  28. 4 Points -- Murder Mystery themed cache
  29. 4 Points -- On the ground, away from any structure or object (buildings, trees, bushes, etc) taller than 15cm.
  30. 4 Points -- Puzzle cache with no text in the description.
  31. 4 Points -- Teach the finder to use a feature of their GPS.
  32. 4 Points -- Terrain 5 cache hide.
  33. 4 Points -- Underwater cache.
  34. 5 Points -- Earth Cache
  35. 5 Points -- Terrain 5, Difficulty 5 cache hide.

Again these are draft. There may be some slight changes before they become official. But this should do for now.

We are considering prizes for guessing the number of caches placed, largest container placed, favourite cache, favourite cache name.

grnbrg.

TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slippery_1 wrote:
I feel this year I may not be able to compete with this crunch time, and even be competative to even a slow turdle, whom I might add came behind me the slippery_1 of the north last year. Even with his cheating he came in and even making caches up in two or three parts last time he could not keep up to the northern guy who just followed the KISS method.
So I will move over, but not enough to allow the pokey turdle to win without at least an effort.

The slow Turdle’s been repowered this year so might be able to go even deeper into the jungles (aka swamps) of Manitoba to drop caches

Now don’t be jealous Slippery of my skillful optimization of scoring methods last year Mr. Green Only two of my “blitz” caches were multistage-puzzle-large hides for 50 bonus points Your plethora of KISS-caches are calling me to le Pas and I just might have to have a road trip and find them this summer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: