Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBGA Cache Splash 2007
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grnbrg

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: MBGA Cache Splash 2007 Reply with quote

MBGA Cache Splash 2007

In the spirit of promoting the placement of new, high quality caches in Manitoba, the Manitoba Geocaching Association is proud to announce the 2007 Cache Splash!

Full rules can be found on the MBGA Cache Splash 2007 page.

The main component of the Cache Splash is a hider's scavenger hunt. You are given a list of requirements and must place caches that fulfill them, collecting points for each hide. Each cache hidden will only receive points for a single category, however, so be careful which one you select. Caches must be placed between May 1st and May 31st, and must be active at least until September 1st.

For those who have never hidden a cache (and for those interested in a refresher!) there will be a hiding seminar presented on May 1st.

At the end of the summer, there will be a wrap up event, and prizes will be awarded to Manitoba's most creative and prolific hiders. There will also be prizes for the larges container hidden, favourite cache and favourite cache name.

Watch this thread for updates and further details.

grnbrg

Last edited by grnbrg on Oct 05, 2007 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: WOW Reply with quote

I have to admit that as a prolific hider those 35 categories listed are overwhelming. Can we just get the judges to figure out which category they think best suits the caches we hide?
Lagavulin

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the deal is that the hider identifies the ONE category that best fits your hide? seems easy enough... for one cache Smile

now, how to hide 35 caches, one for each criteria... THERE'S the challenge.

really looking forward to this event - should be a splash!
ThreeTs

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Guess & Win! Reply with quote

Once again this year we are going to have a contest to "guess" the number of caches that get released during the month of May for the Cache Splash. The cacher who guesses closest to the number of caches published will win a prize as yet to be determined.

Please visit Cache Splash Guessing to register your vote. You can vote twice and must be logged in to the site to vote. You can view everybody's choice here: Results Votes will be accepted until May 12, 2007 11:59 CST

Last year during the May Blitz event, we had over 100 caches released during the month of May so let's see how well we do this year.

grnbrg

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Splash goodies! Reply with quote

There have been requests for apparel using the Splash logo.... So, here are a couple of t-shirts available through the MBGA Cafe Press store...

Black (other colours available) T, US$20.00

White "Value" T, US$10.00

Shipping is US$6.00 for the first shirt and US$3.00 for each additional shirt, and will take 2-3 weeks.

Enjoy!

grnbrg.

grnbrg

PostPosted: May 01, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: The Splash is on!! Reply with quote

Last year we placed more than 120 new caches as part of the May Blitz. Let's see if we can beat that this year!

I have created a MBGA Cache Splash 2007 bookmark list for all of the Splash caches. If you have a cache intended to count toward the Splash event, and it is not in this list, please let me know ASAP. If it's not on the list, I don't know about it. If I don't know about it, it won't get any points. Boo hoo!

grnbrg.

1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: May 06, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Clarification on Splash cache requirements Reply with quote

[3 points] Large cache (At least 5L).

A LARGE cache on geocaching.com is a 5 GALLON container not a 5 Litre. I have a cache currently hidden that is larger than 5 litres but not 5 gallons. Now I don't want to qualify for this 3 point hide but an wondering if I should be listing it as a LARGE according to the MBGA standards, which I'd like to since I think it is large in comparison to most Manitoba caches BUT it is not as large as a 5 gallon pail. Advice?
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: May 06, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quick question. I have two caches that I wish to place... both of which are already created, full of swag, and ready to be placed (well... I have yet to create the page on geocaching.com and submit it, but there should be no problems that I can see)... however, I'm wanting to place them for the joy of placing them, not for a contest or some such.

Now... the thing is that all of my caches are going to have a similar naming scheme (99.98% of people won't even realize it, but trust me... there is one... same one that all my TB's have too), which doesn't really fit the word "splash", nor do I offhand want the word "splash" in the name to begin with.

Hence... would anyone have any qualms with either (in no particular order) a) just placing them without being associated with Splash, or b) having the word 'splash' in the title, but in June or later renaming it as intended?

Just figured I'd get those few ponderings out of the way before I'm done placing them... although one of those may be up as early as the coming week... the other likely the week after, if I get lucky Razz

lizardo

PostPosted: May 06, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queen: Brian's been the acting senate I think when it comes to judging how well the Splash Caches fit their categories. He may have a differing opinion but... My opinion is that the cache you mentioned would qualify as large in the "Splash" contest. But the geocaching standard would be regular.

Kabuthunk: There is nothing saying your caches need to be placed as part of the Splash. Post away, dude, either one of your options is fine as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I plan on removing the word "Splash" from a couple of my caches when the contest is completed later this year.

1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: May 06, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re Large Reply with quote

I don't want it in the Large category but I'd love to list it as a large in the geocaching.com description asd a hint...Ah well I'll just do what I do. If you see a large of mine in the Splash event it will be a large MBGA size not a Large geocaching.com size. There is your hint.
Peter and Gloria

PostPosted: May 06, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabuthunk - since you only have 1 cache published, 100% will not notice a pattern.
If you want Splash in the name for the contest, you'll have to keep it there until the end of the contest on Sept 1st.

grnbrg - since the Splash rules are already published, you can't really change the 5 litre catagory, but MBGA should use the same size catagories as GC.com. The catagory shoud be "larger cache" since many regular caches are almost small.
grnbrg

PostPosted: May 06, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clarification on Splash cache requirements Reply with quote

1Queenand4Jokers wrote:
[3 points] Large cache (At least 5L).

A LARGE cache on geocaching.com is a 5 GALLON container not a 5 Litre. I have a cache currently hidden that is larger than 5 litres but not 5 gallons. Now I don't want to qualify for this 3 point hide but an wondering if I should be listing it as a LARGE according to the MBGA standards, which I'd like to since I think it is large in comparison to most Manitoba caches BUT it is not as large as a 5 gallon pail. Advice?

We decided that, for the purposes of the Splash, anything 5 litres or more would qualify as "large". If your cache is more than 5 litres, then it can be placed in any Splash category that requires a large cache. List it however you'd like on gc.com.

grnbrg.

grnbrg

PostPosted: May 06, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabuthunk wrote:
Another quick question. I have two caches that I wish to place... both of which are already created, full of swag, and ready to be placed (well... I have yet to create the page on geocaching.com and submit it, but there should be no problems that I can see)... however, I'm wanting to place them for the joy of placing them, not for a contest or some such.

(...)

Hence... would anyone have any qualms with either (in no particular order) a) just placing them without being associated with Splash, or b) having the word 'splash' in the title, but in June or later renaming it as intended?

As lizardo said, feel free to publish the caches without entering them in the Splash. There's no requirement to do so. And if you decide to enter them, there is no rule or requirement that is preventing your from naming them "Splash: Kab's Really Cool Cache". You'll need to leave the "Splash" in the title until September, as Peter mentioned, though.

grnbrg.

Georgia

PostPosted: May 14, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Murder Mystery? Reply with quote

One of the Splash themes is Murder mystery. Does this mean it has to be a mystery (unknown) cache, or can the cache be traditional with a murder mystery theme?
G Confused

grnbrg

PostPosted: May 15, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Murder Mystery? Reply with quote

Georgia wrote:
One of the Splash themes is Murder mystery. Does this mean it has to be a mystery (unknown) cache, or can the cache be traditional with a murder mystery theme?
G Confused

I don't think it needs to be a mystery cache. A traditional cache with a murder mystery theme would be fine.

grnbrg.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: