Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache Effect Top Reasons why Caches are Rejected

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohmic

PostPosted: May 07, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Cache Effect Top Reasons why Caches are Rejected Reply with quote

Top reasons a cache is refused?

1) Proximity - the 161 meter rule. Of course for newbies and folks that do not like puzzle/multi caches this can be a major issue.

2)Additional Waypoints not added to puzzles and multis. This is now a requirement when these types of caches are submitted. The method I like used is;
Name each waypoint the name of the cache. The Waypoint Lookup Code should be "Stage2", "Stage3", and so on, and final for the, well for the final stage. The Prefix Code should be something like "S2", "S3" and so on. Please name the final prefix code "XC". Then, make sure you hide the waypoint.

3) Caches located near schools, railroads, airports, and military bases.

4) For newbies - no home coordinates so I can't tell how far away they live from the cache.

5)Caches that are placed outside of a reasonable area for maintenance where the owner has someone willing to maintain it but doesn't mention this on the cache page or in a reviewer note.

6)Puzzle caches that require a download in order to solve the puzzle.

7)Commercial banners on the cache page. This includes "podcachers" because it has recently come to Groundspeaks attention that they solicit for donations.

AND - Although a cache usually isn't refused if the cache owner submits a 1 terrain cache they need to put the wheelchair attribute on the cache page. Terrain one is reserved for wheelchair accessible caches.

I'll probably think of other things I wish I had mentioned but that is what comes to mind in the spur of the moment.

Thanks for asking for my input.
Cache Effect
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: May 09, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 161 meter rule... is there an easy way to test a set of coordinates and see how close the nearest caches are (aside from having to set your home coordinates to the test, check nearest caches, and then set it BACK to your normal home coordinates)?
grnbrg

PostPosted: May 09, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabuthunk wrote:
With the 161 meter rule... is there an easy way to test a set of coordinates and see how close the nearest caches are (aside from having to set your home coordinates to the test, check nearest caches, and then set it BACK to your normal home coordinates)?

No. Because some multi-cache and puzzle stages (and finals) also count in the 161m rule, and those won't show up in any search.

GC.com has a "search by co-ordinate" option in it's searches -- http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx which helps, but your only real option is to email the reviewer and ask them... I'll usually set up a rough cache submission with all of the waypoints set, and ask "Does this look ok?". Make sure you're clear that it hasn't been placed, though, or you'll end up with a published, unplaced cache. Smile

grnbrg.

ertyu

PostPosted: May 09, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can do what I do and find all the caches so you know where they all are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: