Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm offended ... am I wrong

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kruzrrr

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: I'm offended ... am I wrong Reply with quote

This is a log entry was left in my cache and it annoyed me.
Am I just being to sensitive?

"Very dismal cache contents. Took the geocoin, left Tim Horton's gift certificate."

You insult my cache, you insult me!
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just shows you care! Besides, they were unhappy with the contents - not the cache. You donít have much control over what people trade (remove) over time.

Iíd be happy finding a coin!
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Slightly Abused now Lightly Amused! Reply with quote

We've received lots of interesting and not always flattering comments. We especially enjoy the easy walk up cache comments like "needs new log sheet - all wet" kind. Sometimes cachers are too busy with little ones etc or on business trip and we understand but sometimes we think - Um well why don't you take that wee little walk back to your vehicle and find some scrap of paper and add something dry for the next cacher to find.

Join the slightly abused club and just choose to change it to lightly amused! We agree that many of our caches end up having a junky feel to them quite quickly. That is called poor trading and thats life. But we really do notice when cachers clean ours up or swap up and improve the game! And we LOVE those people a lot. Peter and Gloria are excellent cache doctors as are Xplorer and Ramblin' Rose. Tobey of 3T's has also helped us out and lately FoodNinja rescued a cache of ours. Cache and Cary is another one of those and the list could go on and on and on...We've luckily had more great classy cachers visiting ours than the few that complain - and they are usually new to the game and once they get to know the faces behind the pseudonym everything changes and they'll all go the extra mile.

So smile and be thankful for the Tim Horton's cert. Probably it was the kids that were disappointed and the parents were dragging them along for the fun of it.

A hint to the parents who have disappointed kids - let them steal something from your own swag bag if there is nothing good in a cache.

And also we apologise for back in time when we were newbies and complained. Newbies usually hate micros because there are no traders. And it wasn't long ago that we were a bit whiney. Thankfully even new cachers grow up!
Jimbo 2

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=24eb4242-9859-4f46-a94a-31432a0d04ee

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
The people who posted that comment have found most (If not all) of your caches. They must not mind them too much.

My Lee River cache gets the odd bit of negative feedback, I try not to take it personally. I'll probably replace the cache container with a more suitable one.

One of MY beefs is caches that are TOO full. I've seen 'em packed so tightly that travel bugs get damaged. Also it's hard to be "stealthy" if you're having to spend 10 minutes trying to re-pack a cache container.
slippery_1

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one today which wasn't very flattering.
Nice part about being the listing owner, you have the power to delete...which I did...promptly left them an email if they didn't like the area, not to come back.
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Yikes Reply with quote

I've never deleted yet but have emailed asking to change logs if the comments are too revealing. Email ,and therefore the logs, tend to read harshly since you can't hear humor in the tone and you can't see if the person logging is doing so at 4 a.m. etc.
kruzrrr

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already mellowed my attitude after taking the time to mull it over. I oalso know the logger has yet to place a cache so knows not what is involved in placing caches. So I'm going with that grain of salt thing and letting go.Confused
I just had me Irish temper kick in when I first read the log and seeing the word dismal in the description.
Now I have returned to my happy place and will no longer imagine cruel and unusual punishments.
polarbeardiggers

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes the happy place!, its a beautiful place to visit, perhaps its time to come out and play ?.
Shinook and White Juan

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about geocaching is the places it takes you. The swag is secondary, but many cachers expect great swag in a great cache and sometimes come out disappointed because the swag did not meet their expectations. Unfortunately, this is how some remember a cache no matter how great the spot it took them. Fair trade is promoted but much of the time, not followed. If I recieved a comment like that in one of my caches (which I have) , I would want to check it out to see if it is a legit comment before I deleted the cachers log etc. No sense in getting offended over it.

Just my 2 cents.
lizardo

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polarbeardiggers wrote:
Ah yes the happy place!, its a beautiful place to visit, perhaps its time to come out and play ?.

I vote "yes"!

kruzrrr

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the my cache time too much.
I won't give up my GPS unit
And like a movie quote, "you can have it when you pry it from my cold dead hands!"
Ok maybe I'm being just a little dramatic!
But I plan to cache for a long long time and I feel quite strongly about that.
I also know that there will always be little annoyances here and there.
So on a good day I'll ignore it and on a bad day I'll vent. Then I'll continue on my merry way.
I appreciate hearing from everyone, and hearing your views.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: