Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caching the Really Far North

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ztirnats

PostPosted: May 07, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Caching the Really Far North Reply with quote

Z'tirnats and Z'ad are going on a road trip! Well road and rail to be precise. We will be travelling to Churchill Northern Studies centre for 3 weeks in June.

One of the things that we were asked to do up there was to teach the school and the CNSC staff about geocaching, so there may be a few caches launched during our sojourn. At that time of year the sun is up for 20 hours, so caching from dawn to dusk is really a chore! If you wish to have a travel bug dipped in the frozen tundra caches up there while we are just let us know, we will be leaving June 12th.

Now you know where the cache I showed during the Cache hiding event will show up! I told you it would be a future Manitoba Geocache!

We will be asking for some supplies prior to heading up there to entice the Far Northerners to become MBGA members so be ready for the call!

Z
ChristinaP

PostPosted: May 08, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun!

I worked at a fishing lodge "up north" and I was up at 5:30 am and went to bed at 11 pm and never saw the sunrise or set in June. I would love to travel to Churchill and find your caches!

Christina
Shinook and White Juan

PostPosted: May 08, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that train still go through Pukatawagan? That is a fairly big community. It would be nice to see a few caches there as well.
slippery_1

PostPosted: May 09, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: University of PUK U Reply with quote

I seen your post, and no the train going to Churchill does not travel through Pukatawagon. The train from the Peg runs through the Pas, and then you have to connect with the new rail line assinippi Railway, owned by the Mathious Colomb Band (Puk).
But if you want some coins to take up North Let me know how I can perhaps find some travelers to send with you.
I even have a few coins you can place as prizes (unactivated) if you think that will help.
Keep in mind of GC's rule of being able to maintaine the cache if you are not from that area, they are very sticky over this rule.
I live in The Pas, and if you stop in The Pas on the way to Churchill check out the close proximity of two caches by the train station here...you may have an hour stop while they fuel the train...who knows we may even meet.
Ztirnats

PostPosted: May 09, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Slippery. We are very much aware of the maintenance criteria, that is why we will be having a workshop with the local CNSC as well as the local school. They are very interested in GPSr and Geocaching and are anxious to learn and launch there own in the area. We will be taking up potential cache containers, MBGA cache stickers, log books and anything else required for the local community to launch some caches. Then they will be on their own. As people come from all over the world it would be a nice addition to have more caches available in the far North. We would love to have some unactivated coins as prizes. Please e-mail us to arrange this.
Lagavulin

PostPosted: May 09, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to consult at schools up the bayline: thicket portage, pikwitonei, ilford, gillam. only ever took the train once from thompson to gillam because it left earlier than the plane... got there 5 hours AFTER that same plane would have landed :p

still, was nice.
enjoy your trip!

p.s.: when you're at the school in churchill, say hi to Terry Stover Smile
Ztirnats

PostPosted: May 10, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will definitely say Hi! Anything you would like for us to take we would be more than glad to. Not taking too much luggage so should have some room for extras.
netleyhunter

PostPosted: May 10, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad I wasn't into geo-caching 2 year ago. I traveled to Churchill with Manitoba Conservation to help band geese all the way from Churchill to York Factory. Flew up and down the coast in helicopter for almost 2 weeks. Could have put out a few geo-caches that only the most dedicated person could reach!! They would have been miles and miles from anywhere!

It's a beautiful area up there! You'll have a great time!
Ztirnats

PostPosted: May 28, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, things are progressing wonderfully! We have some great stuff contributed by Slippery_1, Dragonfreys and Mhz (Paula, just forget you saw that cache being worked on in my backyard, you saw nothing, nothing) Thank you thank you.

Churchill is embracing Geocaching with a passion, we are now set up for 6 different presenations with different groups! And we are going on the hunt for the one geocache that has been out for a year and still not found!

Leaving June 12.......... Think if we try real hard we can make 500 before we go?

DO not tick off the Polar Bears, for though art crunchy and go good with Ketchup!
Ztirnats

PostPosted: Jul 03, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all those that contributed to the Northern caching experience, watch for new caches and geocoins coming out of Churchill and heading all over the world!

We actually got to do 4 seminars and had people from about 12 different places throughout the world as well as the whole town of Churchill getting invited to a caching seminar! What a great time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: