Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the Norm?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: What's the Norm? Reply with quote

Hi people

I recently launched my first TB. It is "FLASH" and I won him at the draw at the first "geoswarm" mob event back in the fall as some of you may remember. Anyhow, I am not too familiar on the workings of the typical TB lifespan and evolution.

I placed FLASH in his first cache a short time ago. I then planned a trip to the pub so i figured I would take him out of that cache and bring him to the pub as he would stand a better chance of getting snagged. I had dropped him in a cache that was not likely to be seen until spring.

Well...here's the thing. When I returned to get FLASH just two days after I dropped him, he was GONE already! Confused I was happy about that, and was ready to see WHO retrieved him, and where he would be off to next!

But nobody seems to have retrieved him! Crying or Very sad

Usually, when I grab a TB, I will indicate right away that I have picked it up, even if I hold on to it for a while. As was the case with Kab's Balls! Embarassed I held on to those until poor Jaypeg had to slap my hand! Razz lol

My question is this? Is it NOT unusual for someone to retrieve a TB and just keep it without announcing they took it, with the intent of eventually dropping it in a cache somewhere? Or has FLASH met an early demise, without even having LIVED yet?

Like any good Ma, I'm just worried about my boy! It's a big cold world out there! Cool
Butterfly

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, In simpler terms Which one of you Geo Scoundrels ran off with my boy FLASH? 'Fess Up you lily livered varmint! Put 'em up! I'll fight ya with one paw behind my back! Mad

I'm a TB newbie! Just a bit of an eager beaver I guess!
Cool
ertyu

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen of TBs in the past year or two:

- They are logged perhaps half the time
- They move for a brief bit then sit around for a long while
- They frequently get stuck in people bags
- They are more likely to be missing than be exactly where they were logged
JayPeg

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can shed some light as to the whereabouts of Flash. Skaven and I went out caching awhile ago and discovered a Flash. Skaven has it in his possession but has not logged any finds for the past month. I spoke with him yesterday and he should be getting caught up before the weekend. He has been swamped with work lately. He will be heading to Germany on Saturday so Flash maybe making a trip overseas. If not Flash may spend some time in TB prison.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FANTASTIC!

Thank you Ertyu for your input. I tend to agree with you about the pattern. I wonder if it is that some people do not realize what they are to do with a TB?

Jaypeg! That is AWESOME news! I am relieved. And I sure do HOPE Skaven will take Flash overseas! That would be perfect! What a sendoff that would be for my first Travel Bug! And I hear the infamous 'Mischief' might be in Germany as well! Flash is on a mission to track down the troublemaker you know? Wink

Thank you for clearing up this mystery! I will really need to learn to relax more! Rolling Eyes Cool
lizardo

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Flash is found! Reply with quote

Jaypeg, perhaps you could explain to skaven the Risks involved with picking up a travel bug and not logging it. I realize he is busy travelling the World, but after all, *butterfly* was worried about her poor travel bug. And furthermore, his Dominationof this travel bug is preventing others from enjoying it.
At any rate, we all appreciate you mentioning this to skaven. And I am sure he will place it in a cache soon.

too subtle? Laughing

JayPeg

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question let me get this right... you are upset that he is holding someone else's TB without logging it. I don't need to explain anything about caching to Skaven.

As far as I can tell the RISK is on the owner when they send the TB out into the WORLD. The fact that he was and is willing to move a TB, potentially to another country, is a plus. His DOMINATION of the TB does not prevent the enjoyment of another cacher, as 99% of the time they do not know of the TB until they open a CACHE.

As I was told once before "sometimes life gets in they way of what we enjoy." Skaven will FINISH his reports for work before he does geocaching, after all, the reports pay the bills.

THIS SUMMER things will start to slow down a bit and he will be able to focus more on caching.

I believe that was just as subtle. Laughing

Butterfly

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now what are you 'boys' up to? Rolling Eyes All this talk about DOMINATION has me wondering if you guys are in need of some discipline! Cool

I'll let your ladies know! They can fix you!

Twisted Evil Especially YOU lizard man! I wouldn't tangle with that one of yours! Laughing Wink
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I had a good chuckle from reading between the, er, CONQUESTS of your prose. I do have one question. Should someone be sending the ARMY after Skaven?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Trackables Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: