Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hula-baloo at West Hawk

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHz

PostPosted: May 16, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Hula-baloo at West Hawk Reply with quote

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=033b0786-496f-4d5b-a7cd-c4d9980a1097

Swap the palm trees for pine trees and done your best Hawaiian shirt and come on out to the Southern Whiteshell for a Hula style BBQ potluck!

See you all on June 14, 2008!

MHz

PostPosted: May 27, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten to thinking about what games to play and have come up with GPS Projection Croquet! The size of the course and how many flag poles are on the course will vary and I may make the course cover more ground than just the beach just to make it interesting. But here's some of the basic rules I've come up with so far. Let me know what you think or just give me some ideas on how to improve it.

GPS Projection Croquet Rules

Object:
Players will take turns navigating a course composed of 6-15 numbered flag poles. The course will take you back to the flag pole you started at. First player back wins. The number of people on the course at one time will vary according to how big the course is and how many want to play.

Player supplied game requirements:
GPS capable of waypoint projection or a GPS and compass.

Rules of Play:
1. A player will estimate a distance and heading to the next flag pole from where they currently are on the course. They will then project a waypoint and walk to that point. This is a standard turn.
2. A player can say they have tagged a flag if the projected waypoint places them within arms reach of the flag pole so that they can “tag” it.
3. Flag poles must be tagged in order, Start, 1, 2, 3, ….., Finish. Tagging a flag pole out of order ends the player's current turn.
4. If a player tags a flag pole, they may take another turn to get the next flag pole.
5. If a player’s projected waypoint puts them within arms reach of another player so that they can “tag” the other player, they may choose to bump that player or take an extra turn but not both.
6. To bump a player, the player doing the bumping gives the other player a heading and a distance (0-200m) that the bumped player must project and move to before play resumes. If the player being bumped runs into the defined edges of the course, they stop at the course edge and go no further.
7. After bumping another player, the player doing the bumping is considered “dead” and cannot bump another player until after they have tagged the next flag pole.
8. There is a maximum of 2 extra turns can be taken by tagging either a player or a flag pole. If the player tags a 3rd flag on their 3rd turn, their turn is done regardless.

Definition:
Arms reach: From a standing position, the player must be able to reach out and touch the flag pole or other player. Feet must stay on the projected waypoint spot. Players may not lie down to reach their targets. Player’s being bumped may attempt to avoid being tagged but likewise, cannot leave their spot on the course.

MHz

PostPosted: May 27, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add one more rule.

If a normal player projection leads them to the boundary of the course, they will stop at the defined boundary and go no further.

I've got that type of rule in there so no one needs to go into the freezing cold water and stand there or play in traffic etc.

MHz

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a nice long chat with my brother who was down to West hawk last weekend and is going down this weekend as well. As of last weekend only the very back part of the campground closer to Miller's Beach was still closed. He thought the rest would be open by this weekend but he'll check for me. Sections A, B, C were for sure open and he said he saw someone camping in section E. So likely D would be open as well. It's the rest of the back sections that are still in question.

Also the new washrooms and the pay solar heated showers are open for business! These are located between sections A and B close to the potluck site!

MHz

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we good to go as the parks have told me that only a couple of sections are still under renos but that there are no reservations for them. Now if only the weather would co-operate!

I'll see you down there rain or shine!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Events & Contests Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: