Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Caches in Rural Municipalities Reply with quote

Thanks for the idea burchil, here's the breakdown by rural municipality. Interesting to note that (92/130) 71% of RM's have had a cache placed in them.

-- Edited by Dragonfreys at 18:36, 2006-12-08

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Winnipeg Greenspaces with Active and Archived Caches Reply with quote

Okay this was requested by a few people and probably will be quite helpful for cache hiders around Winnipeg. It's a high res map showing where all the active and archived caches in the Winnipeg area are in relation to city greenspaces (provided by burchil - thanks). One limitation to consider is that only the first stage of multis and pseudo point of puzzles are indicated. That being said it is probably a very handy guide to where there are green spaces devoid of caches (all those yellow coloured parks).

This is a low res overview, the high res can be found here.

Oh, I see I forgot to add a scale bar and lat/long graticule to the map. I anyone really want those on there let me know.

-- Edited by Dragonfreys at 18:49, 2006-12-08

grnbrg

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

New toy!!

I saw a program called GeoQO mentioned in the Groundspeak forums, with a brief description of it's features. It's a waypoint management program with some manipulation and analysis features. *Very* new, though, and while it does work well, it's currently command-line only, and sparsely documented. It took me the best part of a day to get it set up and running. But (to me) was worth it. Not sure I'll continue to use it, but it was fun to play with.

Anyway, the feature that caught my eye was that it could export *.kml files that would create a density map in Google Earth. I'm impressed.

Winnipeg Cache Density

Click for full size

grnbrg
Jimbo 2

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

Linky no worky for me.....

slippery_1

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

So people in your learnet opinons...what area per capita had the largest growth of caches in 2006?

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

Do you see that dark blue area near city center in grnbrg density map?  My house is at the top spike of the blue patch.  Now you know why it's been so hard to get my 5km radius!

ohmic

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

Awesome job on the stats, Dragonfreys. Very interesting. The next question: Is how often can/will you uptade these stats? Is most of the legwork done and it's just a question of updating once in a while or will it require inputing all the data all over again every time you want to update? It would be cool to see the progression over time from now on. Perhaps set a goal for Manitoba, let's say to reach 2000 caches by December 07. The stats could be used kinda like those big thermometers used for fundraising. Just an idea.

You think you have it difficult Dani, try living right in the middle of the blue spot. It makes for less driving around though...

ohmic

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

Here a good example of a stats page. This is taken from the geocaching-quebec page.

http://www.geocaching-qc.com/index.php/Statistiques

Only in French, figures...

grnbrg

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Winnipeg heat map update. Reply with quote

Well, here we go with the most recent data:

(Click for a larger image.)

signalantenna

grnbrg.[/img]

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: May 20, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

ohmic wrote:
<P>The next question: Is how often can/will you uptade these stats?

I was thinking I would update them when we get to 2000 active caches. It would be good to automate the process but it is a bit too specialized at this point to set up. It will be interesting to compare the second 1000 caches with the first.
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Aug 15, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Cache Type Placed up to 15 Aug 2008 Reply with quote

Thanks to Peter for the dates to pocket query out the current active caches and a big thanks to TurdleEggs for the query of archived caches. Here are the latest stats now that we have cleared 2000 active caches and are nearly at 3000 placed caches.

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Winnipeg active cache density and caches in parks Reply with quote

Click for larger images.

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Manitoba active cache density 15 Aug 2008 Reply with quote

ertyu

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the stats. I was looking over the park density and noticed some changes since last time. Assiniboine Park and Forest have declined, while Harbourview, Crescent Drive, Kings and Maple Grove have increased. I'm not sure thats correct though as Assiniboine Park at least as more caches in it than ever afaik.
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Aug 16, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ertyu wrote:
Thanks for the stats. I was looking over the park density and noticed some changes since last time. Assiniboine Park and Forest have declined, while Harbourview, Crescent Drive, Kings and Maple Grove have increased. I'm not sure thats correct though as Assiniboine Park at least as more caches in it than ever afaik.

Hmm, the park layer I have for Winnipeg doesn't have names. If anyone has a GIS layer of Winnipeg parks with the names I can spatially join the caches to the parks and break out the stats by year placed compared to archived. Similar to parks at the provincial level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: