Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logo for Mega Event: GeoVenture 2010: Heart of the Continent
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junglehair

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Homecoming slogans appears to be "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" That could be a workable title
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junglehair wrote:
I'm starting to think we need to throw out the "Heart of the Continent" part of our slogan. We want to keep the word "Home" in there to tie into the 2010 Homecoming, but "Heart of the Continent" isn't really necessary and I think it's making the logo design more complicated.

I like "Heart of the Continent" ... not only does it give you geographic representation of where we are, it denotes a feeling of familiarity. I don't thinkwe need the word "home" on the logo or coin, but we should make it known on the website that this is part of the homecoming celebrations. Maybe tying the two together ... like "Heart of the Continent" on the logo with a catch phrase of "Home is where the Heart is" on the website ... and just to add verbosity to it, you could go with "Home is where the Heart of the Continent is" ... but then we'd need a HUGE geocoing for that one.

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although we may get sponsored by Homecoming 2010, this isn't their event, it's a geocaching event. We should avoid using their slogans. We should have our own.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is the "Come get your blood sucked in Manitoba." Wink
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glacier_ice wrote:
Well, there is the "Come get your blood sucked in Manitoba." Wink

Oh god... that brought to mind a related logo:

Manitoba: Full of suckers

Methinks that one may be misconstrued however Razz.

Although, I wouldn't go throwing out the mosquito idea entirely just yet. It lends itself to being a cutesy mascot, as an alternative to the beaver, which is in my opinion overused in advertising as a whole due to it being on the nickel.

And while we may well be known (not in a good way) for the mosquitoes, I've noticed that something that's capable of making fun of itself tends to get more appreciation than avoiding whatever issue. So the mosquito could work for us in that respect.

I'd almost suggest using snow somehow, but since the event doesn't take place in winter, it'd just seem odd.

BUT... conclusion of sorts: I think the smaller aspects should be decided upon solidly before attempting a logo design. With too many variables, it just makes deciding difficult. So we should pick the mascot if there's going to be one, and the slogan (since Junglehair put forth changing it).

In that respect, I'd probably avoid 'you ain't seen nothing yet', since for 1, that almost seems to be a more southern dialect, and 2, in my mind it makes it seem like we're trying to out-do all other mega-events.

'Heart of the continent' I didn't think was bad offhand. Albeit, what may be an amusing design is what I've attached... but keep in mind that I'm generally not considered 'normal' by most anyone who knows me Razz.

heart.JPG
 Description:
Ridiculously crude design, made with nothing more than some poorly edited clipart online and mspaint. Yeah, my programs for image editing suck.
 Filesize:  17.64 KB
 Viewed:  345 Time(s)

heart.JPG

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Kabs was saying about using the mosquito poking fun at our 'infestation' was pretty much what I had in mind when I created that.

Having said that, here is logo option #4. "Heart of the Continent" is easily added to this one as well, just not used in this rendition.

I went for the Red River Oxcart as another symbol of the region that isn't overly used.

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops! Now that I'm more awake, I just realized that the back wheel is missing. I forgot to turn that layer back on. Smile

(Good thing this is just a rough draft.)
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed the problem.
MHz

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally came and read the forums and found this thread.

Could do a bison looking for a cache and to make Junglehair happy could have him wearing a moose helmet like they have at Montana's? MBGA is turning 5, so he should have a B-day party hat! Laughing

Actually I like the beaver critter Turdle-femme came up with.

To throw another critter out there that is little used is the Great Grey Owl.

Course, I'm always partial to using any furry critter in logos.... You can make them into whatever pose you need at the time.

Can't say I'm fond of the ox cart for the same reason I mentioned for the bison coin... it blocks too much of the MBGA logo. Maybe if you hung the logo on the side of the ox cart like a banner it would work better.

plumbrokeacres

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you guys can make it a reality! I would defiantly come down for it haven't been back since moving to BC 3 years ago.

Here is my submission:

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Grey Owl I can do too. Flying and talons grasping the MBGA logo could be neat.

But if the only thought with the Ox Cart is the visibility of the MBGA logo, that can be moved too. Won't work as a banner across the side as it would be still partially blocked by the wheel, which doesn't address your blockage concern.

However, I can switch the 2010 brand with the logo and go to a two tone MBGA logo 'brand' on the ox and put the 2010 in the cart.

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but aside from the grey of the mosquito and the brown in the ox, I've been using the MBGA logo colours. This is why the designs share similar traits.
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now have several great logo designs to choose from! In order to pick a winner there will be an open vote.

** Please submit your final logo design (or designs) to this thread by Sunday November the 8th.

** Voting will occur on the GeoVenture 2010 mega event web site. The web site is not yet built, but once it is, it will be linked from this thread. The voting close date has not yet been determined and will depend on the mega event web siteís availability.

As the mega event is an entity unto itself, the event logo should not prominently feature the MBGAís logo. Also, please avoid using any copywrited or trademarked material. Keep in mind that the winning logo will become the mega event Geocoin design.

Thanks to everyone who has submitted a logo and good luck!

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bison with Moose Antlers was requested. Smile

HoggerJeff and the Piglet

PostPosted: Nov 02, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glacier_ice wrote:
Here's the evil idea. Smile

Oh YES!!! I vote for EVIL!!! Nothing like truth in advertising!!!

OK... back to earth - replace the skeeter with a buffalo. *Sigh*
junglehair

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better late than never, but here's another idea I've been kicking around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Events & Contests Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: