Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello, fellow MB cachers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eg50

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Alright! Reply with quote

From one newbie to another I just want to say, Way to Go!! I'm still feeling high about my first and second finds. Nice to meet another newbie. eg50 Very Happy
SKIL101

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

Thought we would drop a line to introduce ourselves. We saw an article in Travel Manitoba and decided that this would be a great family hobby. WE ARE HOOKED! The kids love it even though they are only 2 and 4, our 4 year old daughter actually found our last cache (our 25th one).

Looking forward to future Manitoba events (is there a winter hunt in the future?)

Thanks for all the advice on all the forums.

Lars and Shaena
NovaToba

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Hello Everyone Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I'm Pilotmounders (the S is for when my wife & daughters are with me). I've been GC since Thursday last week & I'm hooked. I got interested after hearing about GC on CJOB show "The Drive" when the head of the Fort Whyte Center was on discussing the topic & I was very interested in trying it out. My wife surprised with by purchasing our first GPS unit & we've been going hunting ever since. I even managed to get my co-worker hooked on it after discussing it during a coffee break. I've already made my first 2 FTF & I see why it's so exciting.

I'd like to say a big thank you to 2 members that have helped me by answering my questions out of the blue & pointing me in the right direction, they are MHz & Tedmukdyluk. I look forward to meeting them sometime out on the trail as well as all of you at some point.

Cheers & happy hunting,
Pilotmounders
AKA-Christopher Brewster
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, congrats on your first FTFs!

Always good to hear the excitement of new cachers. Of course, for some cachers, that excitement never stops. Smile

I also encourage you to visit the Chat Room on occasion. A number of folks chat in there during spare time. Sometimes caching comes from the chatroom, other times it's great for Q&A sessions.

Happy caching!
ohmic

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Pilotmounders and welcome to your next addiction!
You can also meet other cachers by coming to geocaching events like the one on September 9 at Don Pedro's restaurant or on September 19 at the Turdle Ranch for some Jenga fire action.
Oh and BTW, I work at Oak Hammock Marsh, not Fort Whyte... Smile
jleecollins

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Bye for now Reply with quote

I can't believe that it has been over 6 months since I have been in Manitoba, but my contract work in the city is wrapping up at the end of the month. I will be heading home (Marathon, ON) on Friday Oct 30 for a while or until I finally get a new permanent job.

Anyway I would like to thank everyone that has made me feel welcome while geocaching in Manitoba especially at the various events that I have attended. There are a lot of great geocachers and great caches in Manitoba, some of them especially hard and frustrating to find at times, but help is usually available, if you ask for it.

I have almost managed to double my cache finds since I came to Manitoba on April 21 (when I think I had ~1490 finds) to the point where I found my 2900th cache tonight (Beaudry Nights) Geocaching has pretty well occupied my spare time in Manitoba and kept me from going more crazy then I am already. II have seen areas of Manitoba while geocaching that I have not seen in 40 years since I went to High School in Manitoba. I even managed to get my sister Tracama back out geocaching on a regular basis.

There are so many memorable caches that I found while I have been out here, it is hard to point out any in particular, so I will say that all of them have been great.

So if you are even passing through Northern Ontario taking the Lake Superior Route, try to look for some of my caches - there are only 120-125 actives caches of my still out there. There is even 2 caches that still have no find (they have been out for 2.5 years now.

So thanks again for the friendship that everyone has given me during my stay in Winnipeg.

Jim
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a safe journey home. Thanks for the entertainment while you've been here. Smile
tedmukdyluk

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, glad you enjoyed your stay here in Manitoba. I noticed that you were really piling up the finds! My wife and I with our jr cacher in tow, had the privilege of making some finds with you at the "Cache My Ashern" event. We really appreciated your caching skills and persistence plus the couple of hints were a great help too! Take care and have a safe trip home.
wissmans

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Resurrecting an old thread Reply with quote

Was looking to see if there was a "Hello!!" thread and found this one and thought I would breathe some life into it.

We started geocaching as family just before the snow started falling last fall, we just logged out 16th find today as we figured it was warm enough to enjoy at least one good hunt. Our 12 year old is all about the secrecy of the hunt, but my 4 year old will still yell out "I havent found it yet" lol. Maybe this spring she will get into making her treasure hunts more secret.

Over the winter we have picked up some cammo tape and containers, so expect 1 or 2 more new treasures in Winnipeg once we get ready to hide them.

Thanks everyone for providing us so much fun.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to another family! Smile

I think many of us have the same issues. My 7 year old now manages to stay pretty stealthy, my 4 (almost 5) year old not so much. When they are together, it's almost better to send them looking in the wrong direction so attention gets drawn to where their noise goes. Lol

Keep an eye out for events that are family friendly, like the upcoming May the 4th Be With You Flash Mob. A great opportunity to meet other geocachers and share in the fun!

wissmans

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glacier_ice wrote:
Welcome to another family! Smile

I think many of us have the same issues. My 7 year old now manages to stay pretty stealthy, my 4 (almost 5) year old not so much. When they are together, it's almost better to send them looking in the wrong direction so attention gets drawn to where their noise goes. Lol

Keep an eye out for events that are family friendly, like the upcoming May the 4th Be With You Flash Mob. A great opportunity to meet other geocachers and share in the fun!

Thanks glacier_ice, we will do that. My son is a big fan of Star Wars so that may make the day that much more special for him Very Happy
NovaToba

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all, checked all over the forums and this seemed like the only place for this or maybe I'm the first to do this but hard to believe I am. When I was introduced to GC as mentioned above, I had a difficult time coming up with a trail name. For the past five years I've been known as my communities name PilotMounders and things have changed. At the start the whole family would go out but now life has changed some what. Wife is busy with her other hobbies, oldest daughter has moved out & going to college in Wpg & that left just my youngest daughter & I to hit the dusty trails when ever we can. She has been getting very good at making some of the tougher finds, better than I have and have spotted some I've looked over. So I've been thinking it over & spoke to a couple other members at a previous event about changing my trail name & creating her own account as one day she will move out & start her own family and will or will not continue caching. So with that said, I've changed my name & all caches placed over to NovaToba. I was born & raised in Nova Scotia and moved to Manitoba when I was 21, two more years & I'd have lived in both NS & MB equally. The Toba stands for the back half of Manitoba.

So daughter who turned 13 this year and can have FB & her own account here as well thought about her trail name and what it should be. She chose the name KeBeR as a mixture of her name in real life. I'm guessing later in life she may or may not change her name as she ages.

Just wanted you all to be aware of the changes as we do try to be as social as we can & attend as many events when time allows. We enjoy being members of the MBGA and as such wanted you all to know.

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff! I like the new names!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: