Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boy Scouts can get a free 30 day premium membership @ GC.Com

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Boy Scouts can get a free 30 day premium membership @ GC.Com Reply with quote

I hope this applies to Canadian scouts too:

Celebrating 100 years of Boy Scouts - Boy Scouts can get a free 30 day premium membership at Geocaching.com

Groundspeak, owner and operator of Geocaching.com, has offered a free 30 day premium membership to Geocaching.com for every Scout and Scouter (a $5 per person value).

Special Offer from Geocaching.com

candaceandwill

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to my knowledge.

Boy Scouts of America is celebrating their 100th anniversary in 2010, while Scouts Canada celebrated theirs in 2007.

The two organizations are very separate and very different...we are co-ed, they are not....amongst their other issues. Smile

Quote:
Information about activating free trial Groundspeak Premium Memberships is included in council Get in the Game! starter kits.

As a Scout leader here, we would not have access to this.

Thanks for bringing it up though!

jleecollins

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Canadian Scouts and Geocaching Reply with quote

As being Scouter for 1st Marathon Cubs and Scouts for 8 years and most recently working with the 1st Transcona Cubs and Scouts, I would agree with "candaceandwill", different organization, different situation and would not be applicable to Canadian Scouts..

But I did introduce geocaching to our Scouts and Cubs in Marathon in 2004 by hiking to the first cache placed near Marathon (now archived). We even had an geocaching event as part of our tree plant in 2005. One of our activities in the Fall of 2008 was hiking to Sturdee Cove near Marathon and we did maintenance on my series "Hike to Sturdee Cove" (10 caches). We also had set up 3-4 different caches with scouting theme (1st Marathon Cub Park Cache", "1st Marathon Scout Forest" and one 1.2 km north of our scout camp in February 2007 which has not been found yet).

Also on our way to the Canadian Scout Jamboree in Taracouta Scout Reverse north of Marathon, we geocached there and back while we travelled to the jamboree. We also did the geocaching activity during the jamboree.

I have also worked with the Thunder Bay area Scouts and Cubs for a geocaching activity at one of their area camps in 2007.

I think it is a great activity for scouts and cubs and naturally goes with their outdoor activities.

Jim C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: