Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cross border caching.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinook and White Juan

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Cross border caching. Reply with quote

We are planning on going to Minnesota on easter weekend for some caching. I have never driven across the border in about 10 years so I am not sure of the regulations. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cached over the border many times and have not had a problem.

The border officials on the way down will question you on what your purpose in going to the states is ... it's up to you whether you want to mention geocaching or not. I normally say I'm going shopping or on vacation or something.

For this year, you won't need a passport to drive over the border, but you will next year. For now, you will need to make sure you bring proof of citizenship (birth certificate) AND photo ID (driver's license).

Coming back, I've never claimed anything I've found in a cache or travel bugs. I'm trying too hard to tap dance out of the actual purchases I've made.

All in all, you shouldn't have any problems.

bevro

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your significant other changed her named, be prepared to be harassed by the Cdn customs on the way back because the birth certificate doesn't match the license. Or bring a marriage certificate. Sometimes customs can be really prissy.

Or just bring a passport if you have one.

If you are out of the country for more than 48 hours, you can bring back $200 Cdn in duty free goodies (includes alcohol and tobacco).
Dutch 53

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have done caching south of the bourder lots of times. Like Dani said just tell the border people that your going for some R&R or shopping. Saying you are going geocaching could cause you some delays if you get an uninformed person asking the questions. They do not like anything that is different. Confused
FoodNinja

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going down too on the 6th to see Blue man group in fargo. planning on caching down and returning through peace gardens and brandon on the way back. I have never had any problems going down. I dont ussualy mention geocaching. One note though if your bring back any turdle juice have the size in volume recorded of all bottles on a piece of paper when you hit the return port, it will speed up your re-entry.
slippery_1

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perks up---TurdleJuice?

someone squeezed a Turdle and got juice instead of Eggs? Twisted Evil
Pilotmounders

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch 53 wrote:
We have done caching south of the bourder lots of times. Like Dani said just tell the border people that your going for some R&R or shopping. Saying you are going geocaching could cause you some delays if you get an uninformed person asking the questions. They do not like anything that is different. Confused

Yes I should have read this post last week. I decided to head for caches from Rock Lake,ND to Langdon,ND as they're only 30 miles from home base, I live 10 mins from border crossing. So daughter & I show up to US POE Sarles,ND & state the purpose of our 4hr trip is to Geocache from RL,ND to Langdon,ND & the guard asks what is GC, so I explain the best way I can, then she asks is this permitted to happen across international boundries, I say of course it is there are like 900k all over the world, she then tells me she wasn't talking to me but to her supervisor standing in the dark shadows of the customs booth. I couldn't see him from my car. He says as far as he thought it should be okay as he's heard of it before, but decided to look it up online before proceeding. She then asks what happens when you find what we're seeking, I said we log our find & take something if we choose & if so we have to leave something of equal or greater value. Then I had to explain my geobag as the 3rd officer was searching the vehicle and wanted to know all about my swag & what not.

So after 15mins of questions & answers, vehicle search we were permitted entry and on the hunt. Next time I cross there I'll have to ask if any of them have gone Geocaching, how could they not be interested it sounded fun to me Wink

ertyu

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emerson crossing doesn't seem to have an issue with the explanation of geocaching, but often something simpler like going for a hike or a picnic or the more obvious shopping is a better idea. Anything that is common and is actually what you are planning to do.
junglehair

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am going on a shopping/caching trip, then I'll just saying I'm going for shopping. If I am strictly going for caching (ie. going to be heading back over the border in a few hours without any shopping bags in the car), then I'll tell them I'm going geocaching. A simple explanation of the game usually suffices. I've never gone into the whole take something and leave something part of it though as that would open a whole new can of worms. I just tell them I search for the hidden containers and then sign the log book as proof that I found it. Some seem to find it interesting, some look at you like you have two heads. Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: