Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Dakota

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ertyu

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Garmin Dakota Reply with quote

Garmin just announced a new series of outdoor GPSrs, the Dakota series.

It looks like they are cheaper, cut down version of the Oregon series. Something to consider if you are in the market.

Garmin Dakota
junglehair

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Perhaps they realized the Oregon was over-priced. Too bad the Dakota 10 doesn't come with a micro-SD slot. I'm not a fan of the electronic compass option, but looks like you have to order that model if you want the micro-SD.

The Oregon isn't really that big of a unit. I wonder why they felt the need to come out with a smaller sized version of it.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, @ 850MB without an SD slot, that's still loads of memory for most users.

The questions I'd have is, what is the accuracy compared to the 60CX. (The Oregon didn't fare that well) and how visible is the screen in daylight? (Again a failing of the Oregon.)
devildawg

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone using one of these units?

My GPS seems to be on the fritz and I am looking at a new one.
I think this may be an option but have read limited reviews as there are not that many out there that differ from the Garmin write-up.
I am wondering about screen visibility, ease of use, and battery life.
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve wanted to get a paperless Geocaching GPSr for awhile, and now that Peter and Gloria have put out a WhereIgo cache it’s time to just do it. I like my 60CSx and want to stick with Garmin, but am not sure which one; the Oregon 300 or the Dakota 20. They both have micro SD slots and electronic compasses. The Oregon’s is 2 axis and the Dakota has a 3 axis compass, which might even work. I keep my 60CSx’s 2 axis compass turned off. The Dakota is smaller and may be harder to use the touch screen buttons, but I tried them both at Wholesale Sports and they seem comparable in use. The Dakota 20 is $360 with a 2.6 inch screen and the Oregon 300 is $376 with a 3.0 inch screen so price is not a factor. The Colorado 300 is nice, but is $500.

Anyone have any hands-on experience with the Oregon or Dakota that could offer me some help in making my decision? Even any advice gleaned from researching paperless caching would be welcome.
burchil

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eTrex Vista Cx was having issues. It was held together with rubber bands and some problems with co-ordinates. Usually OK for paddling but not great for geocaching. If it ever lost satellite fix it would have errors up to 1km (but still show accuracy of ~10m). My partner noticed the rubber bands and bought me a Dakota 20. I have had a lot of fun in the last few days.

The online help is pretty limited with regard to the Dakota but the Oregon pretty much works the same internally and there is lots of information on the web about working with the Oregon.

If you want WhereIgo the Dakota does not support WhereIgo cartridges.

I have had good time to fix, accuracy, maintains good satellite lock.

I use my GPS for a lot of other things where either Garmin or NMEA communication is important and my existing software (GPS Utility mostly) does not do live connections (Sad).

The geocachaching is nice in that it loads everything up (2000 caches) but I am disappointed that Geocaches and Waypoints are not mixed. I have to do some more checking but editing/maintaining Geocaches (e.g. fixing co-ordinates) must be done from a computer editing the gpx file. GSAK works well.

The transition between finds/caches/sites is not as smooth as

I like the touch screen and I hope that with this being a fairly mainstream technology it will stand up. The down side is using with gloves or mitts is not easy.

It works in the cold Smile - or at least as cold as it was today when skiing.

I noticed the speed was a little weird at walking speed jumping from 4-6km/hr.

I still need to update my City Navigator for use with this unit but topo-maps (Ibycus and Garmin) both work fine.

I don't use the compass (first thing I do is turn it off) but the altimeter has been useful on my Vista.

The screen is pretty good (not as good as 60Cx) but better, I hear, than the Oregon. In low light conditions it is hard to see but I have not had to use the backlight much. Although when I did I had to turn it up fairly high.

There is lots more but this I think is a start - pretty random thoughts so far.
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input; since I want to be able to get into the WhereIgoes I am disappointed the Dakota doesn’t support them. I was at Wholesale Sports yesterday and got to handle both of them, but I guess now it will be the Oregon for me.
I’d like to talk to you if you make to Saturday’s event.

BTW – I see that the Oregon300 is $376 at GPS Central, $390 at Wholesale Sports and $445 at Cabella’s.
burchil

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect to be there Saturday (at some point) and will bring my Dakota 20 along. I think Junglehair? also got a new Oregon so that is a possibility.
ertyu

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An updated Oregon 450 was just announced

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=63349
jleecollins

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this one will be better to read in the sun.

There is also a 450T just released
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon, but I may wait until Jan 22 when the 450 is available and I can read some user reviews to see if the screen really is brighter, with the same or better battery life. I am also hoping to get a lot of info on the Dakota and Oregon on Saturday.
Trove Chasers

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Garmin Oregon Reply with quote

Oregon 200 sells for $299.99 at Costco and includes the $151.00 Topo Canada Software. This unit does not have Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units) capabilities. The other differences from the 300 or 400 is there is no Electronic Compass or Barometric altimeter, no 3D Map view and only 24MB of internal memory. We have found that this unit does everything that we need it to, including Wherigo capability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: