Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Road Trip

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sky Rookie

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Summer Road Trip Reply with quote

HI all,

I'm embarking on a very long road trip to Alaska from Houston this summer. As I ponder return trips I was looking at several of the Canadian Providences. I was considering making my way Eastward through the north part of your country. While I see caches along my very long route I don't see any in Nunavut that are accessible by car. Is this true? I can't scroll through the entire providence though, it takes way too long. Is this one providence I'll have to skip?

Thanks,
Sky Rookie
John
ertyu

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really drive to the territory of Nunavut, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highways_in_Nunavut for some info.
Wagonmaker

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John,

That sounds like an epic road trip! Hope you'll be able to stop by here in Winnipeg, MB on your way, for a few caches.

A couple things that you might find helpful:
- Canada has 10 provinces (not providences) and 3 territories (Yukon, Northwest Territories, Nunavut).
- The three territories are very sparsely populated (especially Nunavut) and as such, don't have extensive road systems like in Canada's south, or in the US. Communities are few and far between and 99% of the access between them is by air.
- Sparse population up north means even sparser caching populations. Ergo, fewer caches.
- You'll find the provinces (at least the southern halves of them) have road systems (and the caches that pop up along them) similar to the US.

It does look like you might have to miss out on finding a cache in Nunavut, unless you want to hire a plane or an ATV.

If you have any questions about caching in Manitoba, let us know here! We are happy to help out!

-Wagonmaker (Wayne)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: