Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WAAS Updates and GPS Launch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ertyu

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: WAAS Updates and GPS Launch Reply with quote

The Winnipeg Ground Reference Station for WAAS has gone online recently. What this means is that we should get much better WAAS corrections for GPS. In simple terms, more accuracy for WAAS enabled receivers.

WAAS Service Expanded into Canada and Mexico

This week also saw the successful launch of another IIR-M style GPS satellite. Always good news to have more and newer satellites flying.

Launch Info

Not that long ago the new stationary satellites that transmit the WAAS corrections were brought into full service and the old ones turned off. Both of the new WAAS satellites are also capable of operating as a GPS positioning satellite and both are currently doing so, although they aren't subject to WAAS corrections yet. More good news as we get additional tracking sources which are almost always in view.
Ztirnats

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically what you are saying is that we have less excuses than we used to?
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and sunspot activity is damn near zero right now... so we can't even say THAT'S causing our DNF's.

I guess I'll have to start getting less DNFs for the next while Razz

ertyu

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 32nd satellite was set healthy and added to the almanac today, #32, I was able to track it this afternoon. This is the largest gps constellation EVER.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating! Thanks for the great reading Ertyu!

Mighty kind of them to be continually enhancing our sport! Cool

Glad this thread got a bump up. I had not seen it until now...
ertyu

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FCC has started testing a 3rd WAAS satellite for North America. It's located at 98 which is nearly due south of here and should be the highest elevation satellite available. All that should mean we get WAAS signals easier, plus the satellite can be used as a normal GPS satellite for additional tracking. Not sure if the WAAS signal can be used during testing or if most units firmware will support it, the GPS component is set unhealthy for sure. Anticipated in service date is Jan 2011.
angelcastaneda

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I retroactively blame all my DNFs on the lack of WAAS?
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: OLD CACHE WARNING. Yet another Attribute needed? Reply with quote

I'm kind of anti-ATTRIBUTE since I believe it is just another clue for the clueless. We so seldom get a chance to look at the actual page. Just download the bulk caches and off we go. And they don't have attributes I really could use like flood friendly. Shouldn't there be an attribute for SUMMER friendly only? Many of our island caches are great in winter but useless without specialized equipment in summer.

Ironically anything hidden previous to better WAAS will have co-ordinates based on the old style so...new cachers may have no excuse but those of us who refuse to update our old ones (heh heh) now maybe it will make it more difficult for newbies who trust their better signal at old caches? YES OR NO.

Whatever. I'm chuckling as I write this so no one needs to delete their cache that has all the attributes added. Would be fun to do though - create a cache with ALL the negatives. Does the space one have a ZERO gravity icon?

I'd like one main attribute icon that shows a flipper, snowshoe, ladder, swimsuit, gloves that states BE READY 4 ANYTHING- you are a cacher for heaven's sake! I'd add that to ALL of mine in a minute. Stealth needed is an amusing one if you think about it and if you have ever watched anyone caching from a distance.
ertyu

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wonder if they foresaw this, one of the existing WAAS satellites has gone out of control, but remains in service, not sure if it is still properly usable? This would be the more distant of the 2 satellites, at 133degrees and further west. It shows as sat #48 (Garmin) or 135.
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Very Interesting Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates Steven. I am so uninformed in this technology but it is fascinating reading. I can handle wonky signal for caches but hate to think it affect airplanes. Wonder what the Polish crash relates to? I read too many CIA spy books to think it is accidental that the whole Polish leadership dies on one plane while the pro-Russian Polish opposition leader takes a different flight. Pilot error blamed. Maybe following a Magellan GPSr?
ertyu

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This satellite wouldn't be in view for the area where the plane crashed. The satellite covers North and South America, while WAAS is good only for North America.
ertyu

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I just noticed that the new 3rd satellite will be using #133 or #46 depending on receiver.
ertyu

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The faulty WAAS satellite will be usable for only 2-4 weeks more. They are trying to get a replacement enabled quickly, but it will likely be months before they can do anything.
wauchope

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reciever only uses one waas satelite at a time anyway,either 138 on the east coast or 135 on the west coast.
135 is a little more accurate as it is closer to us but the new one at 98 degrees will diffinately help the farm gps systems and maybe our little units.
you got to consider our little handheld units are good for 2 meters, maybe 3 ,so if your geocaching always keep in mind that error possibility.they just have little antennas,always consider interference from water bodies,trees,power lines, buildings or anything that just might reflect a signal.
you want perfect accuracy of one inch then you need some expensive equipment,try several thousands of dollars will get you RTK which is a ground station with precise known cordinates.
ever see suveyors with those tripod setups with an round looking object about the size of a cereal bowl on top? well thats just thier attenna the rest of the equipment sitting there is very expensive plus they have to buy a subscription just to use that equipment. try trimble.com ,theres even a fun tutorial you can try
wauchope

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced that one of the two WAAS GEO satellites will drift out of usable orbit within two to four weeks. Earlier this week, Intelsat announced it had lost control of its Galaxy 15 satellite that hosts the WAAS SBAS transponder used by the FAA.

The FAA says it is monitoring the satellite, but that failure is imminent. When G-15 is out of usuable orbit, WAAS will be disrupted for users in northwest Alaska. The rest of the WAAS service area U.S., Canada, Mexico will operate normally but will be reduced to a single point of failure with only one WAAS broadcasting satellite remaining (PRN 138).

for more info go here
http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/augmentation-assistance/news/failure-imminent-waas-geo-satellite-9841

it always pays to check sources,sorry folks I gave out some wrong info

I was at a trimble seminar and the instructor told us 135 was the better sat to lock on to ,well she was wrong as 138 is the best one for accuracy as far as farmers are concerned.they are fast tracking the new Waas sat.
yesterday I was trying to use 135 and my gps was giving me all kinds of grief till I went back to 138
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: