Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where should I take a first time geocacher in Winnipeg?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
angelcastaneda

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Where should I take a first time geocacher in Winnipeg? Reply with quote

Yesterday, I tweeted that my first cache hide had been published. Shortly after, a fellow Winnipegger replied to me, and said she had become interested in geocaching about two years ago, but had never done it.

Long story short, I invited her to tag along with Shawnssica, SeptemberLily and yours truly this weekend, so we could show her what it's about.

Now, there are a LOT of caches in Winnipeg that I just love, but I'm having a hard time deciding whether I should take this person to a cache I haven't found yet (so she gets the full experience) or to one that I already know the location of, so I can make sure it's one that will be worth her time.

Question to you: Where do you normally take first time geocachers? Is there a specific area that you would suggest?

Thanks in advance!
MissionMode

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As somebody still fairly new I'd say go for a cache none of you have been to that's a decent size and winter friendly, perhaps that hasn't been visited in a few days so the geotrails aren't completely fresh.

Consider whether the person wants a hike or a quick grab. I was going to recommend GC2240Q the Frozen Swamps of Almey but I see that Shawnssica has already been there. Of course, you haven't been there and with the warm weather it won't be there much longer.

Maybe GC1RWVC Garbage Hill Memories. It's better to do this one in Winter.

If you want a longer walk and don't mind deep snow (really) then I really enjoyed my walk to GC12DXD Must Be Nuts and once you find the cache you will say "hey cool cache" - mind you the cache itself is a micro I think so the reward is mostly the cool container.

Or pick one of the easier finds near the gate in Birds Hill. Those can be either a quick grab or a long walk depending on which you choose. They are beautiful year round, have decent swag, etc.

Clearly I have favoured the north east because I live there.
angelcastaneda

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MissionMode. I'll look into those caches.
58squared

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Assiniboine Forest between Grant and Wilkes or La Barriere Park. We prefer areas like this to the "urban jungle". Have a good time.
Shawnssica

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissionMode wrote:
I was going to recommend GC2240Q the Frozen Swamps of Almey but I see that Shawnssica has already been there.

That was a fun trudge, but Jess didn't make it out to that one. (I was flying solo after a dentist visit) Also I see that k61 disabled the listing and picked up the ammo can for the summer, so it's really off the table!

Thanks for the other suggestions - we've found that clusters of caches just off the beaten trail are perfect targets for those "What do you want to do? / Nothing really... Hey, want to go find a few caches!?" afternoons. Now that it's not minus thirty out there, it'll be even easier to get J out to some parks Smile

-Shawn
MHz

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Forks area is another great place to cache.
MissionMode

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnssica wrote:

That was a fun trudge, but Jess didn't make it out to that one. (I was flying solo after a dentist visit) Also I see that k61 disabled the listing and picked up the ammo can for the summer, so it's really off the table!

Yeah... my list was very "point in time" as I assumed they were heading out that week. It would be completely different now. Neither of the suggestions I made is really good right now since those areas are no longer frozen and now more swamplike - which is the opposite of "good for beginners".
ohmic

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Marsh (as in Oak Hammock Marsh) is always a good place for beginners as I can also do a little intro to geocaching workshop in the theatre (as long as I know ahead of time) before going out to find some of the 36 caches available.
A lot of the caches at the marsh are best suited for beginners and faily close to the Centre and easily accessible but a few will require some longer hikes on the trails or some thinking and researching to solve.
angelcastaneda

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ohmic I hadn't thought of the marsh. I just took a quick look at the live webcam, and it seems like a nice area. Thanks for your reply!
Pa_Bottle

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also Assiniboine park and the zoo. Alot of nice differents size and style of caches in there.
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Go RURAL Reply with quote

In my humble opinion I think rural caching is just a riot, easy with bigger caches. I recommend the Selkirk drive to Lower Fort Garry (just did it), a Morden- Winkler run, Whiteshell caching and I think doing a lovely drive to Morris and caching along the 75 can be fun too (we just have to replace a few post flood yet)! All told though the micros add numbers in Winnipeg and I love them - the truly great caches are LARGE AMMO cans hidden in just outside the city in parks. Another amazing run which might ruin you for Winnipeg caching is doing a Trove run to Portage!

All in all we still believe any cache you FIND is a great cache!!!!!!
The others you have reoccuring nightmares over for years or dismiss as unimportant. That missed AMMO can in the Black Hills @ the Goldmine is still haunting me as everyone before and after had an easy find...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: