Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

buried cache

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brainradio

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: buried cache Reply with quote

First - in no way is my question intended to attack anyone! I want some clarification on the "rules"...

Second - my question is a bit of a spoiler to the placement of a cache...

The cache of the month (Scooby) appears to involve a dig. I am new, but I understood that buried caches are not permitted. Is this an old or soft rule? If I can't find a cache is it possible I should be looking for loose dirt?

thanks
fallyn

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From geocaching.com

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not exhaustive):

* Caches on land managed by an agency that prohibits geocaches, such as the U.S. National Park Service or U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (National Wildlife Refuges).
* Caches that are buried. If a shovel, trowel or other "pointy" object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate.
* Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method.
* Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites or cemeteries).
* Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In the United States we generally use a distance of 150 ft (46 m) but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.
* Caches near or on military installations.
* Caches near, on or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These may include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

You wouldn't believe how many caches I have gone after, only to dodge traffic, lol. I personally like all caches, and if I came across a buried one, I would only want it mentioned in the listing that I need to bring digging equipment or given notice that I need to grow my nails. Wink
ertyu

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cache is question is grand fathered as it existed before that rule. However caches should not be buried as it can cause damage to the area.
brainradio

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandfathered - perfect, makes sense. thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: