Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSr Deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jleecollins

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Oregon 450 Reply with quote

I think I found a "Bug" with the Oregon 450 - a limit of the number of caches that you can have on the internal GPS memory.

I had loaded just over 1000 caches on the internal memory, with a bunch saved for our trip to Cape Breton yesterday. When we got there and wanted to start geocaching, I went to retrieve the cache information I could not retrieve any of the caches. Well at least we still had the Oregon 200 loaded up so used it.

Last night I moved all of the caches (they were in the memory) on the 450 internal memory to the memory card, I had put in the GPS and I could retrieve any of the caches that were saved.

So this is a problem you need to look out for while saving caches on the 450. I don't know what the maximum number of caches you can have in the internal memory, but there must be a limit.

It may have capability to load 5000 caches, but it looks like they have to be on the memory card
KeeGee

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Oregon 450 topo Reply with quote

Is the topo map of much use for geocaching? Looks like the topo version of the Oregon costs a fair bit more but I don't know if it helps here on the prairies.
ertyu

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest getting the detailed road maps (City Navigator) and then using the free Ibycus Topo maps for Canada. Also worth a mention are the Openstreetmap maps which are routable street maps, but not nearly as much detail as the Garmin ones yet.

Depends on your preference though.
jleecollins

PostPosted: Dec 25, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the Garmin Topo map for Canada when I bought the Oregon 200 last fall from Costco. So it was an easy load into the new Oregon 450
vsiedler

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Topo Canada maps are pretty good. They also include street information. That being said they are rather expensive. I got mine from an "alternative" source.
ESP Browns

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: GSAK Macro for Oregon Reply with quote

For all the new Oregon users, if you use GSAK - this is a super handy macro. Most handily, I find, is that it can show availability or attributes (like winter friendly) without going into the logs.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=7745&st=20&#entry112006
MissionMode

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified that script to work with my Delorme unit... it's really handy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: