Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caching in Manitoba Parks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, people sure do read what they want in logs:

Quote:
Promise cache was located close to private property where the owner was uncomfortable with extra traffic and often sicked (sp) his german shepherd on people. Also, well defined trails to the cache were evident.

Promise was placed on an existing trail neighbors clearly use to enter the park. The two “german shepherd” logs were from over two years ago and were posted by people approaching the cache from outside the park.

Tracama

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Ontario Provincial Parks/ Hiding Geocaches Reply with quote

In the early 80's, I worked for Visitor Services at Kettle Lakes Provincial Park near Timmins. My supervisor was the assistant superintendant of the park and he would have been delighted with the possibility of introducing campers to geocaching. He not only wanted visitors to enjoy their stay, he would have liked the educational aspect of the search. Our park enjoyed a high attendance of campers and many people returned year after year because of our recreational program. Geocaching would add to the enrichment of getting to know the park. I was very surprised to have read jleecollins's post (my brother) that geocaching has been banned in Ontario Prov. Parks. What has happened in the last 30 yrs?
jleecollins

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geocaching has been banned in Ontario Provincial Parks for probably 5 years or more.

There are some geocaches in Ontario Provincial Parks but they are grandfathered. In fact the oldest cache in Ontario "Deer Bait" "GC2B4" is in Short Hills Provincial Park by St. Catharines, Ontario.

That is why when I spent the summer of 2009 in Manitoba, it was great to be able to geocache in the provincial parks, even better since there was free admission program going on.
cacheatnight

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ontario Geocaching Association is trying to work with Ontario Parks on the geocaching issue. Our new executive has this as a top priority. Is there anything the MBGA could share with us as we work through the issue in Ontario?
Xplorer and Ramblin Rose

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Cache placement approvals in the Whiteshell. Reply with quote

Very Happy Just wanted to mention that we've been happy with Whiteshell Provincial Parks in regards to allowing our caches. This morning, I received an email around 10 am that my cache applications had been received and within an hour, they were approved! Can't get much faster service than that.... Ramblin' Rose
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, sounds like whoever approves caches in Manitoba parks is starting to take it seriously or something nowadays. I haven't kept up with the issue much, but last I heard they were taking weeks to respond to cachers, if ever, and were generally disabling caches in bulk and seemingly at random.

Glad to see that they're allowing some of them, and actually being faster about it. Guess they realized that this technology is actually bringing people INTO the parks and is a benefit more than anything else.

MaDHouse125

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late here because hadn't had experience but I thought I'd put my own two cents in.

We got approved in September after about a 3 week wait for 3 new caches in the Whiteshell. I felt that considering the fact that we put these applications in during the fire/travel restrictions that the turnaround was pretty good.

I think the guidelines Manitoba conservation has in place are reasonable and well thought out. They strike a nice balance in terms of protecting wilderness areas, respecting property, safety, wildlife management, and everybody having a good time.

One really positive benefit is clear. If you can get cachers into the parks and on the trails, more people get to appreciate what these parks and natural areas have to offer. And more people will hear the message about conservation. I've seen a lot more of the Whiteshell since I started caching as I look for new trails to go on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: