Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oregon 450 trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brainradio

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Oregon 450 trouble Reply with quote

This has happened twice. I have a handfull of caches loaded on my 450. I load a few more and find that the original batch are all gone and only the most recent writes remain. Stranger still... When I then write a GZ that I "lost" I get a message stating that this cache is loaded - would you like to overwrite?

Anyone else seen this?
burchil

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen on my Dakota 20 when I added a GPX file with a space in the name (I think it was a space but could have been something else - was last summer).
jleecollins

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that this may be related to an incident I had earlier when I was loading my caches onto the GPR. I got out of the problems by loading the caches to the memory card in the GPS.

This may be related . I posted this on the GPS Deal Post back on Dec 23:

"I think I found a "Bug" with the Oregon 450 - a limit of the number of caches that you can have on the internal GPS memory.

I had loaded just over 1000 caches on the internal memory, with a bunch saved for our trip to Cape Breton yesterday. When we got there and wanted to start geocaching, I went to retrieve the cache information I could not retrieve any of the caches. Well at least we still had the Oregon 200 loaded up so used it.

Last night I moved all of the caches (they were in the memory) on the 450 internal memory to the memory card, I had put in the GPS and I could retrieve any of the caches that were saved.

So this is a problem you need to look out for while saving caches on the 450. I don't know what the maximum number of caches you can have in the internal memory, but there must be a limit.

It may have capability to load 5000 caches, but it looks like they have to be on the memory card"
brainradio

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read that post, but I only had 40 loaded. Lots of room left.
jleecollins

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already try loading them on the memory card to see what happens.
junglehair

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, this is a common problem with the Oregons. When you load a file, it is best to turn the GPS on before you leave the house and make sure that the waypoints are actually there. If the unit freezes at some point, there is a good chance that they are not loaded.

Tromelin had an issue on day when I tried to beam a cache to him, and both our units froze. When we rebooted, we had both lost all the waypoints we'd loaded. What a pain that was.

The files are still on the GPS, they just won't load into memory. Apparently if you just go in and change the file name slightly, then it will load again the next time you turn on your GPS. Of course, that's assuming you have access to a computer and the connector cable when this happens to you.

Hope that helps. Garmin really needs to find a fix for this issue as it is quite annoying.
brainradio

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2011 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - yes i have learned to work around it. Not a huge deal but I was sure I had done something wrong.
MuStash

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Oregon 450 during a Boxing Day sale as a second GPS.

I cannot get it to display cache names on the map except for the individual cache that the GPS is navigating to. Otherwise all I get is the various cache icons regardless of the zoom level, no names. I use GSAK to send the query's database to the GPS. I send the database as "geocaches" not "waypoints". I have the Oregon setup to show the most detail.

Does anyone know if all cache names can be displayed on the Oregon's map? If yes, any suggestions on what I should do to make it happen?

Last edited by MuStash on May 30, 2011 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Happened on 62 too Reply with quote

We had this happen on our Garmin 62 the other day too. It had been working so well before that.
Sad
MuStash

PostPosted: May 30, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading my previous post I realized that I had made a mistake and have now corrected it. It should have referred to an Oregon 450.

I have now discovered a way to display all of the geocaches' names on the Oregon's map. It can be done by sending them twice from GSAK. Send them once as geocaches. This will include all the geocache information so that you can read it on the Oregon. Send the same GSAK database a second time, but this time as waypoints. These waypoint names will be displayed on the map if you have the appropriate settings within the Oregon enabled.

The geocache information appears to be held within a file named "geocaches.gpx" on the Oregon. The waypoint information appears to be held within a file named "waypoints.gpx" on the Oregon. The two files do not appear to conflict with one another.
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: May 31, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your perseverance MuStash, Iíve followed your procedure and itís nice to have the names on the map, but at the same time it also seems to add a closed treasure chest symbol over top of the ďcache typeĒ icon. Iím not sure which Iíd rather see; cache type icon or name. Have you been able to overcome this?
MuStash

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you asked OBG. For the waypoint send, I changed all the symbols to City (Small) and that replaces the treasure chests with small green dots which are pretty easy to ignore.

I have saved both the Geocache and Waypoint send options with names like OregonGeocaches and OregonWaypoints so that I can retrieve them from the drop down menu quickly.
MuStash

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't run into any problems with cache info disappearing like you mentioned brainradio. But if I learn anything useful about that, I'll post it too. Happy caching!
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again MuStash, Iíll give that a try.

Brainradio Ė I havenít had that problem, I sometimes have over 2000 geocaches loaded and when spot checking they all seem to be there. Maybe you have exceeded the 200 gpx file limit [see below].

Junglehair Ė I have found the most convenient way to check what caches are loaded is to disconnect the GPSr, start it up so that it can load the caches into its working memory, then hook it up to the computer again and look at the caches on it in BASECAMP [pick on devices-Oregon 450], BASECAMP will tell you how many caches it has loaded. I do this with my NUVI also, especially if Iím going away on a distant caching trip.

From the Oregon wiki;
http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching#FAQ-GC4.) How many geocaches can I load onto my Garmin Oregon?
GC4.) How many geocaches can I load onto my Garmin Oregon?

The Oregon 300 and 400 support up to a maximum of 2000 geocaches (in addition to the 1000 waypoint limit). The Oregon 450 and 550 support up to 5000 geocaches. All Oregons support a maximum of 200 gpx files. If you exceed either the geocache limit or the file limit the Oregon will warn you. If you exceed either limit, caches will be omitted from your Geocache list and it is not predicable as to which caches will be dropped.

GC5.) Can the Garmin Oregon load geocaches from multiple gpx files? Is there a limit?

Yes, but there is a limit of 200 gpx files. If the gpx files are overlapping (i.e. contain the same cache) then only one instance of the cache will show up on the Oregon.

Note: If you use "Send to GPS", each time you click "Send to GPS" this downloads one gpx file to the Oregon. Over time these files can accumulate and result in caches not being loaded if you exceed the 200 file limit. You should periodically delete gpx files in [OR drive]:\Garmin\GPX that are no longer needed and/or use Pocket Queries as described above.

GC6.) Does the Garmin Oregon have a gpx file size limit?

Yes. If the total size of all gpx files exceeds 8MB-10MB the Oregon may fail to display some or all of the geocaches that these files contain. The exact limit has not been characterized yet. Typically, if you use PQs this limit will never become a factor because PQs only contain 5 logs per cache keeping the file sizes smaller. However, if you use GSAK and do not limit the number of logs to 5 you can end up with very large gpx files that will cause this problem
MuStash

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OBG. There's a lot of good information there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: