Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Milestones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernie_bert_elmo_grover

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Milestones Reply with quote

Am really missing the monthly milestones that used to be published on the MBGA webpage: "Milestones achieved in <month>".
It was a great way to congratulations MBGA members who had reached milestones during the past month and to let others know how their fellow cachers are doing, numbers-wise.
Would like to see that re-appear regularly.
Please......
Trove Chasers

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Milestones Reply with quote

ernie_bert_elmo_grover wrote:
Am really missing the monthly milestones that used to be published on the MBGA webpage: "Milestones achieved in <month>".
It was a great way to congratulations MBGA members who had reached milestones during the past month and to let others know how their fellow cachers are doing, numbers-wise.
Would like to see that re-appear regularly.
Please......

As ertyu would say, "Where's the 'Like' button?" Seems like the whole MBGA site is a little out of date. Maybe too much focus on twitter and Facebook and not enough on the standard media that everyone relies on?
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about groundspeak introducing new technologies (challenges for example) that make it hard to run our existing scripts to pull information from their site. And how about lack of documentation and transition on the website from former to new people who are not familiar with the technology. If anyone has the technological know-how to help transcend the issues, we're all ears.

And ... how about contacting the MBGA directly instead of these forums? hmm? It's probably easier to have issues addressed than having people vent without taking any initiative.

Instead of just complaining, stand up and help out.

Keep in mind that all members of the executive are volunteers and have their own lives. They're doing their best. If you're not happy, step up and do something about it!

I have been trying to focus our techologies back to basics and trying to shift focus away from the new media until we can get everything back up and running. However, I am only one voice.

This of course is my own opinion and I am not speaking for the executive.

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things on the website have been slow to be updated or fixed because we lack in active volunteers who have a solid understanding of PHP and other web technologies.

Dani and iamstig are doing what they can to figure things out and get us going, but some of the API changes at Groundspeak have thrown the proverbial monkey wrench into things. Most notably, at the moment, the scripts that parse the information and give us the milestone lists. (The only other way to do the milestones is manually. At ~ 1300 members, going through the stats of each and every cacher to see if they reach a new milestone each month would be be extremely time consuming.)

In our MBGA membership, if anyone knows of or are a web programmer (especially with PHP) please email Dani, Iamstig or myself if you are able to and willing to offer your services. We do need it.

Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a Facebook or Twitter account. I can only assume that I have been, and will be, missing out on a lot of announcements and events. And sorry Dani, I am too computer illiterate to be of any help in fixing the problem.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OBG, so far, unless I've missed something, if an event has been published, it has been cross published on geocaching.com and Facebook. (Over the last year.) This is to try to spread the word as much as possible.

So if you have been following new publications on geocaching.com, you haven't missed anything.

Not everything has, unfortunately, made it to MBGA's website for a bit now. As some of the software updates happen, we want to change that and have all 3 major forms of communications to the members covered.

Twitter is less of a publishing form of communication and more of a running commentary. You can follow all of the MBGA's tweets right on the upper right corner of mbgeocaching.ca's main page. It always shows the most recent two Tweets, but clicking on 'more' will give you a much longer timeline of comments and announcements.

Hope that helps.

MHz

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glacier_ice wrote:
OBG, so far, unless I've missed something, if an event has been published, it has been cross published on geocaching.com and Facebook. (Over the last year.) This is to try to spread the word as much as possible.

So how come the events are not listed in the calendar on the MBGA website any more?

MHz

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Billygoat wrote:
I do not have a Facebook or Twitter account. I can only assume that I have been, and will be, missing out on a lot of announcements and events. And sorry Dani, I am too computer illiterate to be of any help in fixing the problem.

Geocachers come from all walks of life and different levels of computer literacy. The simpler things are the better so you can appeal to a wider audience and actually have voluneers willing to help run things! To maintain one website is a huge undertaking but to maintain multiple websites (facebook and twitter) is in need of staff!!!!!

From my perspective, I can see the club website is lacking a lot of what it use to have.As an example, no point having a calendar front and center of the home page that has nothing in it!

I can't see branching out to other websites when the main website is neglected.

It's a one stop place to go for all things MBGA...or at least it should be!

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... the use of social media wasn't intended to shift the focus away from our own website. It was intended as an overall enhancement to increase the exposure to a wider audience. The drifting from the website just happened, unfortunately.

MHz is correct. The website should be the second point of reference for official MBGA events (after www.geocaching.com listings) and social media should either enhance that or redirect the traffic back to the website, cache page, or both, as originally intended.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (of Geocaching and social media). What would Milton Berle say, I wonder? Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: