Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GSAK Update to 8 - is it worth it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
burchil

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2011 1:43 am    Post subject: GSAK Update to 8 - is it worth it? Reply with quote

I have used GSAK a lot in the past but over the last year less and less. With the additional API support it looks interesting/useful.

Has anyone updated already and has it changed your caching life?
ruylopez

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using GSAK 8 when the beta version was released and I love it. I hardly have to use Geocaching.com anymore, which is great. I can do everything I need from GSAK with the new API support (log my cache finds, download pocket queries, maintain my database of caches, etc.).

I'm sure you can give it a try for free for 21 days and see for yourself, but I highly recommend it.
Trove Chasers

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated as soon as it became available and love it as well. I have used GSAK constantly since we won a free copy back in 2007 and love it. I use search filters on all caching excursions and would not know what to do without it.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2011 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth every penny. Haven't explored some of the new API features, but even as a tool for sending to the GPS, it's still valuable.
burchil

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the posts here and elsewhere I figured the nominal upgrade cost from 7 to 8 was worth the try. Less than going out for Christmas lunch with co-workers and it will probably last longer. Now I just have to figure out how the API additions work. Logged my first caches through GSAK today. I might just have to go back to using GSAK. It was really helpful in the past (before Dakota) when names, comments, type and terrain all had to be truncated.
netleyhunter

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for logging power trail caches also!
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

netleyhunter, can you provide some details on how you did that? That could be of interest to many people.
ruylopez

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=287095

There are other similar threads. The above one sums it up nicely.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! That's a big help, for sure. Nice use of the api.
ruylopez

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use it to log your normal finds. Most GPSrs produce a file of all the caches you have marked "found" or "not found". You can import that file into GSAK. GSAK will have a list of all the caches and then you can edit each log. GSAK brings up the cache description for each log that you enter a found or DNF for, which is nice for remembering the cache. You can then write a nice log (instead of just a default template) and publish them all from GSAK, which I find much nicer than using Geocaching.com.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I log my finds from Cachesense (Cacheberry) on my Blackberry. With the live API, it logs it on the fly right from the field. Definitely a great way to do it but it does take that extra few moments, even to do the "TFTC" style logs.

This other method will be very handy for future power trail logs. Now, if only I can plan a trip to visit E.T. and have Mrs. Ice be okay with it... Smile

netleyhunter

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a group of able bodied people to do it. Our group took 2.5 days to finish it and that was going pretty much all day from 8:00am - 2:00am. Stopping only for a proper dinner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: