Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Imagery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les roux

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Sat Imagery Reply with quote

After one of the latest updates, geocaching.com switched to MapQuest for the "Map it" function instead of GoogleMaps. Am I the only one who can't find an option to get the Sat Imagery in the background with the cache overlay? I thought that the option 'MapQuest Aerial' would do it but no. Nothing. Just a blank background.

It's funny to see that my iPhone App still uses GoogleMaps, even after the last update about a week ago. Question
ruylopez

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you are out of luck unless you live in the US since MapQuest doesn't have the same sat imagery as Google.

You can still get sat imagery for an individual cache if you scroll down to the Google Maps map on the cache page.

If you want the old sat imagery, I run a pocket query and export the caches from GSAK into Google Maps.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely not enjoying the switch to MapQuest. I find it to be slow to load.

From GSAK to Google Maps...

I don't see Google Maps as an export option. What are the steps you do?

ruylopez

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a nice macro here that does the trick:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?s=2835181a56c587a05ef86f96b009b41b&showtopic=5477&st=0&#entry156979

Personally I like the above export better than the Geocaching maps (both old and new). As usual someone else did a better job than the people at Groundspeak.

Also, I believe Groundspeak is in the process of building their own tile server to speed up the loading of the new maps, but they haven't said when it will be finished.
KeeGee

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this link to a Greasemonkey userscript on the Groundspeak forums. It adds in a bunch of map options to the new maps, including satellite view. It works fine with Firefox, haven't tried it with Explorer.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/125926
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: