Manitoba Geocaching Association


 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

deleting DNFs after getting smileys??

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nunavut Taidy



Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Location: Rankin Inlet, Nunavut

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: deleting DNFs after getting smileys?? Reply with quote

Very Happy Hiya! I've been going back to some of my DNFs for second, third, and 47th looks and finding the caches. What if anything is the usual practice: do people keep their DNFs on the cache page, making the cache logs intact (with DNF notes and Found it notes) for the history of the cache, or do people remove their own DNFs in favour of the subsequent Found it? Is there an inherent benefit in keeping the DNFs? Diolch (thanks), from Northern Canada.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ertyu



Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 553
Location: Winnipeg

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all logs, including DNFs should stay, no point in rewriting history. They keep a log of your attempts and the difficulty. They might point to a previous issue with the cache or maybe your feelings about not finding the cache or issues searching for it at particular times of day or year, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Nunavut Taidy



Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Location: Rankin Inlet, Nunavut

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ertyu wrote:
I think all logs, including DNFs should stay, no point in rewriting history. They keep a log of your attempts and the difficulty. They might point to a previous issue with the cache or maybe your feelings about not finding the cache or issues searching for it at particular times of day or year, etc.


Good point, thanks ertyu!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kabuthunk



Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Posts: 262
Location: Winnipeg

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there's a scant few caches that have a requirement of having 100 DNF's logged. I think there's one in Manitoba, but the 100 DNF isn't an actual hard requirement, but I'm pretty sure others are.

In either case, I rather like having a full record of my trials and tribulations with a cache.

_________________
Ia Numtaru, ia Lammia, ia Asaku, ia Pazuzu.
Ia Zixul zi Azkak. Ia Gula zi Pazu. Alal uggae Utukuku Xul. Ia Ia Pazuzu.
Ia Ningursu ia ia Umduggu. Shemti Shebui Nehenkau. Addu Nergal Arrallu.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Hakliva



Joined: 12 Sep 2010
Posts: 28

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabuthunk wrote:
I rather like having a full record of my trials and tribulations with a cache.


Dito!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nunavut Taidy



Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 19
Location: Rankin Inlet, Nunavut

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakliva wrote:
Kabuthunk wrote:
I rather like having a full record of my trials and tribulations with a cache.


Dito!


True, true. Thanks folks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MissionMode



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 110

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabuthunk wrote:
Also, there's a scant few caches that have a requirement of having 100 DNF's logged. I think there's one in Manitoba, but the 100 DNF isn't an actual hard requirement, but I'm pretty sure others are.

In either case, I rather like having a full record of my trials and tribulations with a cache.


Is this still active? The recent changes to the guidelines specifically prohibits this type of Challenge.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ertyu



Joined: 25 Apr 2005
Posts: 553
Location: Winnipeg

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissionMode wrote:
Kabuthunk wrote:
Also, there's a scant few caches that have a requirement of having 100 DNF's logged. I think there's one in Manitoba, but the 100 DNF isn't an actual hard requirement, but I'm pretty sure others are.

In either case, I rather like having a full record of my trials and tribulations with a cache.


Is this still active? The recent changes to the guidelines specifically prohibits this type of Challenge.


Yes, its not actually a challenge though, but if it were, it would be grandfathered
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
glacier_ice



Joined: 16 Aug 2007
Posts: 754

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Geocache owners enjoy seeing DNF's in their logs, especially if the cache is a creative or rather challenging (evil) hide. It's all part of the fun of each individual Geocache.
_________________
"So do they sometimes hide caches in dog poo like this?" "No, that's real poo. You might want to put that down."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dios



Joined: 14 Jan 2012
Posts: 3
Location: Land of Coldness and Sunshine

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissionMode wrote:
Kabuthunk wrote:
Also, there's a scant few caches that have a requirement of having 100 DNF's logged. I think there's one in Manitoba, but the 100 DNF isn't an actual hard requirement, but I'm pretty sure others are.

In either case, I rather like having a full record of my trials and tribulations with a cache.


Is this still active? The recent changes to the guidelines specifically prohibits this type of Challenge.


SSshhhh...a reviewer may be listening!

Anyway - as to the original question, yes, keep the DNF post up. Finding it one day doesn't change the fact that tyou didn't find it on another.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

GPS
Central Landsharkz MBGA 5th Anniversary Geocoin GPS Wolf Hunt