Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

deleting DNFs after getting smileys??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nunavut Taidy

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: deleting DNFs after getting smileys?? Reply with quote

Very Happy Hiya! I've been going back to some of my DNFs for second, third, and 47th looks and finding the caches. What if anything is the usual practice: do people keep their DNFs on the cache page, making the cache logs intact (with DNF notes and Found it notes) for the history of the cache, or do people remove their own DNFs in favour of the subsequent Found it? Is there an inherent benefit in keeping the DNFs? Diolch (thanks), from Northern Canada.
ertyu

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all logs, including DNFs should stay, no point in rewriting history. They keep a log of your attempts and the difficulty. They might point to a previous issue with the cache or maybe your feelings about not finding the cache or issues searching for it at particular times of day or year, etc.
Nunavut Taidy

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ertyu wrote:
I think all logs, including DNFs should stay, no point in rewriting history. They keep a log of your attempts and the difficulty. They might point to a previous issue with the cache or maybe your feelings about not finding the cache or issues searching for it at particular times of day or year, etc.

Good point, thanks ertyu!
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there's a scant few caches that have a requirement of having 100 DNF's logged. I think there's one in Manitoba, but the 100 DNF isn't an actual hard requirement, but I'm pretty sure others are.

In either case, I rather like having a full record of my trials and tribulations with a cache.

Hakliva

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabuthunk wrote:
I rather like having a full record of my trials and tribulations with a cache.

Dito!
Nunavut Taidy

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakliva wrote:
Kabuthunk wrote:
I rather like having a full record of my trials and tribulations with a cache.

Dito!

True, true. Thanks folks
MissionMode

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabuthunk wrote:
Also, there's a scant few caches that have a requirement of having 100 DNF's logged. I think there's one in Manitoba, but the 100 DNF isn't an actual hard requirement, but I'm pretty sure others are.

In either case, I rather like having a full record of my trials and tribulations with a cache.

Is this still active? The recent changes to the guidelines specifically prohibits this type of Challenge.
ertyu

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissionMode wrote:
Kabuthunk wrote:

Is this still active? The recent changes to the guidelines specifically prohibits this type of Challenge.

Yes, its not actually a challenge though, but if it were, it would be grandfathered
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the Geocache owners enjoy seeing DNF's in their logs, especially if the cache is a creative or rather challenging (evil) hide. It's all part of the fun of each individual Geocache.
dios

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissionMode wrote:
Kabuthunk wrote:

SSshhhh...a reviewer may be listening!

Anyway - as to the original question, yes, keep the DNF post up. Finding it one day doesn't change the fact that tyou didn't find it on another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: