Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenStreetMap Maps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ertyu

PostPosted: May 11, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: OpenStreetMap Maps Reply with quote

I recently noticed that OpenStreetMap has become much more detailed and up to date in our region. Thats a great start for a free map resource.

I also noticed that they accept GPS tracklogs to help improve information about roads and trails. I haven't dug into this more to figure out the entire process of how it gets used.

I further noticed that they have downloadable versions already converted into Garmin format to load onto your GPS. At 200MB for all of Canada it seems a little light. These are routable maps for the most part. I tried it out on the weekend and found that the functionality was quite good for Winnipeg and some rural communities, but other towns had very poor mapping. I suspect this will improve with time as they continue to import the Gov't map dataset.

References:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download
http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Magellan instructions are also available, but no download I noticed:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Magellan
MissionMode

PostPosted: May 11, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cool... it's even got the proposed route of the Chief Peguis Trail...
glacier_ice

PostPosted: May 13, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be interesting to keep an eye on, especially since OpenSource projects that get a lot of programmer involvement tend to catch up quickly.
MuStash

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ertyu and glacier_ice, your predictions were correct. Open Street Maps has expanded rapidly. The unzipped file for all of Canada is now 1 gig.

I loaded it onto my Oregon last night and it appears to work beautifully and it's free. The new Chief Peguis Trail is there. The Assiniboine Forest Trails which I submitted to OSM recently are there. Many of the new streets and trails in Waverley West are there. Simply the best Garmin compatible GPS map detail I have seen for the Winnipeg area. The roads are routable too.

Here is a link to OSM's wiki for downloading their map for a Garmin: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

Here is a link to where you can download their Canada map: http://www.osmmaps.com/canada.html

Now it's time to take them outside and use them...
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definitely noticed how good the maps have become since gc.com was forced to start using alternate map sets.

Thanks for the links. Been thinking I should update my map set.

Torossi

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuStash, thanks for the links. I just uploaded the Canada map to my Garmin Nuvi. Works perfect! Nice to have Waverly West updated! And you can't beat the price!
tedmukdyluk

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded a map version to an sd card (due to size) however my Garmin GPSmap62s doesn't list the map as a choice. I have it filed under a Garmin/ directory as per wiki instructions but no luck. The manual is no help either!
Any suggestions on how to have the GPS recognize a map on the sd card?
MuStash

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedmukdyluk wrote:
Any suggestions on how to have the GPS recognize a map on the sd card?

It might not be recognized if it has the same filename as the one on the internal drive.

Try changing the OpenStreetMaps filename on the SD card to "gmapsuppOSM.img". That works on my Oregon.
tedmukdyluk

PostPosted: May 01, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success story! Thank you MuStash for your help, much appreciated!
MuStash

PostPosted: May 04, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuStash wrote:
The roads are routable too.

Now that I have used these maps for awhile, I have found that they were not reliable for "follow the road" navigation.

Some attempts crashed. Others gave some strange results. However direct line navigation still works fine.
ertyu

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I dove into fixing up a trail on the map I noticed was wrong and out of date. It certainly wasn't the easiest or most intuitive thing to accomplish. But the changes did immediately appear.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I'm back from holidays, a couple of observations.

I had a technical glitch where Minneapolis and then to the West inlcuding Fargo and Grand Forks were not street level detail. Was weird, but not a huge problem as I didn't spend much caching time in the affected areas.

A positive is the trail level details. Last night while doing a Night Cache in Assiniboine forest, I was impressed that not only were the major trails published, but even a couple of minor trails that petered out into a deer trail.

Someone local took the time to map that and upload it. Thank you! (Whomever that was.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Off-Topic Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: