Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GSAK on multiple computers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: GSAK on multiple computers Reply with quote

If you travel and want to use GSAk on your desktop and your laptop, this is a tip for you.

I've been doing this successfully for the last number of months and it's been working like a charm. I've been using a single GSAK database synchronized across multiple computers (desktop PC and two laptops) using Dropbox . It works great for traveling as I don't need to worry about trying to manually sync the databases on each of the computers I use. Dropbox automatically syncs for me, all I do is connect my GPS to whichever computer I need to use and I'm good to go.

Dropbox is a website and program that allows files to be stored and syncronized both locally and in the online cloud.

Below are the instructions, pasted from a post on the GC.com forums about how it works.

The first step is when you install the Dropbox program. Make sure to install the local file to c:\dropbox if you're using a PC. If you're using a Mac, you'll have to adjust for yourself.

Dropbox installs a local folder on your PC. Everything you place in this folder is uploaded automatically to Dropbox. (or if offline the next time you connect to the internet) The next time you start your other PC, all updated data is downloaded to the dropbox folder on that PC.

Here's what you need to do with GSAK (change paths depending on your setup)
Copy everything in your GSAK data folder to a subdir in your Dropbox folder.
Open GSAK and change datadirectory in GSAK to your dropbox folder:
Tools --> Options
Application data is in my case C:\Dropbox\GSAK data
Database folder is in my case C:\Dropbox\GSAK data\data
Automatic backup is in my case C:\Dropbox\GSAK data\Backup

I recommend to move your Dropbox folder to a non default location you secify yourselve (C:\dropbox for example) because the default location may be different depending on the OS you use (XP, Vista, Win7). This might cause problems with certain GSAK macro's if they use absolute paths. Putting your Dropbox folder in the same location on every PC solves the problem.
This can be easily done from within the Dropbox gui.

what you should know:
Verify that Dropbox has synced files before opening GSAK (takes just a few seconds)
When closing GSAK verify that Dropbox has synced files before shutting down the PC
Never use GSAK on two PC's on the same time

If you decide to try this for yourself, you'll need a Dropbox account first. Use this link Dropbox and we both get an extra 500MB of storage.

GentlePurpleRain

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to give this a shot.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. Have fun!
oakbank24

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this as well but I find it works best if you stop the Dropbox sync before you startup gsak. When you leave gsak turn the sync back on. If I leave sync on, sometimes gsak crashes.
GentlePurpleRain

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've found that pausing the sync while using GSAK is a good thing. It can also conserve bandwidth, since some of the database files being synched are not tiny. If they sync every time you update the database, you could be sending those large files back and forth multiple times.

Also, I can vouch for the fact that using identical paths for the Dropbox folder on both computers is a good thing. I tried using the default (in my Users folder) on both computers, where my username was different on each computer. GSAK got very confused.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing to remember to do is give your laptop time to such when you first turn it on after a period of non-use. Lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: