Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most favorited Manitoba cache(s)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hockey_family

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Most favorited Manitoba cache(s)? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what the most favourited MB cache is? As far as I'm concerned "Give My Regards To Broadway" is the most favorited with 47 fave points. I may be wrong though??
Thanks!
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That can be pretty subjective. Favourite points are fairly new, so in many cases, the most favoured don't have favourite points because many people haven't gone back to give past finds some points.

We have a list of Featured Caches http://www.mbgeocaching.ca/flexinode/list/4 that has some of those old ones. Give My Regards to Broadway is amongst those.

That reminds me, at some point, we need to add a few more to this list. Smile

Hockey_family

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That reminds me, at some point, we need to add a few more to this list. Very Happy

Yes, I think that would be a good idea because newer caches like "Crypsis" and "Tricky Monkey Strikes Back" have many favorites as well as 2012 caches like "community cache" have gotten may favorites in a short period of time.
Speaking of creative caches, I think it would be cool if we start doing Cache of the Month again because then it would make MBGA members aware of the awesomest and creative caches in MB.

Another thing: Wouldn't it be cool if you could sort out the most favorited caches in your PQs or in GSAK.
ruylopez

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can most certainly sort by favourite with GSAK. Just click on the favourite column on any open database.

You can also do it right on Geocaching.com:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=65&sortdir=desc&sort=fav
Hockey_family

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Clue Jr - THE FINAL was published at the end of January and already the 9th most favorited cache with 35 favorites! Well done ernie&bert&elmo&grover!
crackerjackie

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing Cache of the Month, but it died off because it requires the CO to respond with a write up on the cache of theirs which was nominated. I was waiting for three responses from COs and nobody got back to me.

I would like to come up with another way to do this based on nominations, fav points Vs. number of finds, and age of cache, and not have to get a write up from the CO. (I would need GSAK help to do this as I cannot get fav points to show;they are all zero)

Also, hardly anybody nominates caches, which makes that part really tough.

I should also mention that Cache of the Month was added to Featured Cache if it wasn't already up.
Hockey_family

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe what you could try is every month you could post a poll with 5 caches or so that people have really been liking (by favorite points) and then we could vote for our favorite one and the cache that has the most votes after __ days gets cache of the month.
Just a suggestion.
crackerjackie

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, I just wish cachers where a little more active in the forums. I am not sure how many people would vote.
ertyu

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to weigh favourite points against number of premium finders, that's why the percentage was added to the favourite stats. Otherwise you end up giving more weight to frequently found caches, unless that is what is intended. While the favourite points are certainly an indicator of caches that stand out, I can't say they are always an indicator of a good cache in my books.
Hockey_family

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we could try doing a test poll and see how many cachers vote in a week to have a feel of how many people wound vote? And we could tell cachers that we know to vote and so on.
ertyu

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crackerjackie wrote:
I was doing Cache of the Month, but it died off because it requires the CO to respond with a write up on the cache of theirs which was nominated. I was waiting for three responses from COs and nobody got back to me.

I would have to say that if the CO can't even be bothered to reply, then the cache is not worthy of being featured. To me that demonstrates that they aren't going to reply to emails from finders or perform maintenance in a timely manor.
crackerjackie

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no ertyu, we are talking the best caches and the best cachers, so don't speak to hastily. I think it is a matter of them being too busy to do a writeup and choose a picture and then forgetting about it until I email again.
Getting responses from COs for cache of the month has been like pulling teeth since I took it over. Didn't you have to ask more than once for a writeup when you were doing it?
Hockey_family

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've looked at the list of the most favorited MB caches and about 90% of the cachers who've hidden those caches are cachers that WILL respond but the thing is, that people don't WANT to do writeups on their caches and get a picture and stuff like and THATS the reason that there not responding.
I wouldn't want to do a writeup on my cache. Would you???Shhh

Anyways, should we try the voting method and see how it works so we can get Cache of the Month back up and running.
ertyu

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey_family wrote:
Well, I've looked at the list of the most favorited MB caches and about 90% of the cachers who've hidden those caches are cachers that WILL respond but the thing is, that people don't WANT to do writeups on their caches and get a picture and stuff like and THATS the reason that there not responding.
I wouldn't want to do a writeup on my cache. Would you???Shhh

You don't want to write a line or two about why you hid the cache, what's special about it, a favourite log, a story that involves the cache, what you find interesting about it or the location, etc.? The cache description and writing about it can be a valuable part of the quality of the cache. It shouldn't be hard to give a brief explanation of why this is a cache you would like people to find.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: