Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

European map GPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: European map GPS Reply with quote

Any of our caching friends got an older model GPSr kicking around with European mapping installed, specifically Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels that they'd be willing to lend Joker 1 and I for a 10 day trip we are taking? Or access to some mapping that we could pop over onto our Garmin GPSr?
GentlePurpleRain

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenStreetMap has some decent maps.
There's a simple-to-use website here that will let you select the areas you want and will create the necessary file for you. Then you just download the file and load it onto your GPS.
I've used it a few times with good results.

Depending on where you're travelling, the OSM maps can be a little sketchy (the routing especially sometimes has issues), but overall I've found them pretty decent.
MuStash

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I have Garmin City Navigator Europe NT 2009 on a plug and play preprogrammed data card. The card is a micro SD card with an adapter. I am quite sure that it will work in any Garmin GPSr that accepts a data card. I originally used it with my GPSmap 60CSx. I just tried it today with my Oregon 450 and it works fine in it too. I checked out the detailed streets in Amsterdam and am jealous now ܰ

I think all you would need is the data card. You are welcome to borrow the card and one of the GPSs too if you'd like.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the vote for OSM. Switched my GPS (before it was broken) over to OSM and have been quite happy with the results. It even shows walking trails in some places, like Assiniboine Forest. As long as someone (who uploads their tracks) has been there, the maps get updated. Free!
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add... that's free but the volunteer contribution is invaluable and appreciated.
MuStash

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to have both OpenStreetMaps and Garmin City Navigator maps on a single GPSr. With map setup, enable the one you want to use.

I really like the OSM map display. However, around Winnipeg, OSM is poor for turn-by-turn navigation. On the other hand, City Navigator works very well. The other problem with OSM in Manitoba is that once you're outside the Perimeter you quickly lose detail. It's nice to have as many back roads as possible for caching. That said, OSM is constantly improving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: