Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phoenix, AZ caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hockey_family

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Phoenix, AZ caches Reply with quote

Hey everyone, were going on vacation to Phoenix and were wondering if there are any good places to cache down there. Were in Peoria.
Thanks! Very Happy
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, send a message to MissionMode, he's down there right now.
Old Billygoat

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do some pocket queries by dates you will find several old caches placed in 2000, 2001, etc. Great for ruylopez’s Jasmer challenge caches.
MissionMode

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's why my ears are so itchy.

Good places to cache might be too simple a question.

You've already cached many of the places I have there. My parent's condo is on the other side of town, though... so I don't know how handy my other suggestions will be.

Down near Apache Junction there is a place called Lost Dutchmen state park. There are a lot of nice easy caches there and its a great place to hike and visit. There is an "old mine" there called Goldfield (the truth of which I'm no longer certain due to a few comments I overheard last week) which is a fun tourist attraction, and there is even a new cache right in the tourist area there. I only noticed it once we were leaving. The area around Goldfield has seen a dramatic increase in caches since I was first there 2 years ago. Even a short powertrail less than a mile south.

Past Goldfield on the same road you can find your way to an old ghost town called Tortilla Flat. There are a couple of caches in town and a fun saloon to have lunch in. Between Lost Dutchmen and Tortilla Flat is a river / lake system called Canyon Lake. You can rent canoe and kayak there and if you were inclined there are a few Terrain 5 caches you can only reach that way. My family took a patio boat and we didn't want to bring it close enough to get any of the caches.

I have completed a fair portion of a powertrail that runs along South Recker Road in Mesa. There are about 100 fairly easy caches and you could probably get most of them in about 4-5 hours. I think I have 60 of them now. Also in that area, but further West in Gilbert on E Guadeloupe Road (at Lindsay) is Freestone District Park. We went there because they have a good skate park, but there also happen to be a variety of other things to do and about 10 caches. A beautiful place and a nice 90 minute walk.

Of course you and I have talked about Sedona and Bell Rock. TechDeckPerson really wanted to climb Bell Rock so we made it a destination this year. However we only made it about halfway up. Still a great hike and an amazing view, but clearly a lot of other people of all ages are more sure of their footing than I am. Sadly that meant I got neither of the caches there. In retrospect I might have been able to reach one. I thought it was higher than we went but I'm no longer sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: