Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache Salvaged from Assiniboine Park

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stonagal

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Cache Salvaged from Assiniboine Park Reply with quote

A longtime cache in Assiniboine Park (Tall Timber - GC16KEM) is about to be archived, as its host tree has been cut down by park staff, and the CO seems to be inactive. Fortunately, park staff discovered the cache and took it with them before cutting down the tree. The Assiniboine Park Conservancy's Forestry Supervisor made a GC.com account (arboristapc) and gave us a heads up about what happened on that cache's page, leaving contact info in case the CO, or anyone else, wanted to get it from him. I contacted him and arranged to pick it up today. The container is now in my possession, and it still contains the most recent logs and tradeables.

I post this for two reasons. 1) To give a shout out to Sean Thomas of the Assiniboine Park Conservancy, to the whole MBGA. 2) To ask what, if anything, should be done with the salvaged container? Is there precedent for this sort of thing? Assuming the CO doesn't re-appear, I was planning on reusing it in a future cache.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff!

A couple of options, of course.

You could ask OCC to archive it and hold on to the cache for a period of time before recycling the cache into a new hide.

The other option is to relocate the cache a little bit to the south into the tree line. It appears there may be some space to work with. You could then maintain this cache under the current owner's name and after a time if the CO doesn't return, ask OCC to start an adoption procedure as it would be considered an abandoned cache.

The bonus to the second option is that it keeps an older cache alive.
The bonus to the first option is that it opens a spot in that area, possibly for a slightly larger cache in that treeline.

ertyu

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on situations like this: The cache is the property of someone else and you shouldn't do anything with it without their permission. If a cache owner is not maintaining their cache, it should not be put on life support, it should be left to run it's course and be archived when the need for maintenance is not addressed.
Stonagal

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your insights. I have decided not to try to re-place it, and allow it to be archived (assuming the CO doesn't suddenly reappear). I'll hang onto the container for a while and perhaps one day recycle it in a new hide if the CO seems to be gone for good.
4elements5senses

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are to relocate the cache in close proximity to the original hide and then follow through with attempting to adopt an abandoned cache. It is my opinion that we are losing our older caches at a rapid rate and that we should try to preserve them. If time and distance are an issue for you, I am more than willing to take the task over of attempting to do the above.
GroovyPinkSocks

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: archiving the cache?? Reply with quote

I agree with 4Elements5senses, I would like to see our older caches "taken care of" as we are losing to many to quickly,
ertyu

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to see all caches maintained, new or old, but for those that aren't they need to be dealt with. Caches cannot be adopted without the owners permission, even if they are effectively abandoned. http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=54
4elements5senses

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the useful link ertyu, however my reply continues to be the same. My offer to relocate the cache in close proximity to the original and then pursue a transfer or adoption of the cache from the CO stands.
candaceandwill

PostPosted: May 02, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke to the wife of the CO yesterday and she will have him log in and sort this out.
Stonagal

PostPosted: May 07, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cache Chameleon archived Tall Timber this evening. In her words, "It appears that this cache is no longer being maintained. I am archiving the listing to free up the location for a new cache."

I still have the container in my possession. If harvwallbanger resurfaces sometime in the near future, I will be happy to return his container. After a certain amount of time though, I think it makes sense to reuse the container in a new cache.

My thoughts on the preservation of old caches: I affirm that we should try to maintain certain old caches if possible. It would be a shame to lose a really old cache if there are cachers willing to take it over. I point to the examples of Da_Bowz adopting Burnside Cache, and Peter and Gloria adopting Scooby's Lunch as two good exercises in preservation. With that said, Tall Timber was not, in my opinion, a cache that needed to be preserved for those reasons. It was published in October 2007; we still have a few of those around anyway.

If I may propose a rule of thumb: a cache that has more than four digits in its GC code (after the letters "GC") need not be considered "old". (This would be anything published after Christmas Day, 2006.) Coincidentally, just today we lost Peanut Butter Pleasures (GCYM4P), which was placed in October 2006, due to its GZ being bulldozed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: