Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for info from out of town group

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngelFreak

PostPosted: May 29, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Request for info from out of town group Reply with quote

I received an email from a group of 3-5 seasoned cachers from Omaha, Nebraska who are planning a trip to Winnipeg in the last half of July. They would like tips about the following:

1. Please suggest a location that would be good (e.g., capacity, price, location, menu) for a meet-n-greet for each of breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

2. What are the "must have" caches in the area? We are game for ANY type of cache and the higher D/T fun caches the better.

3. What should we know to avoid there, besides the obvious (e.g., bears)?
dani_carriere

PostPosted: May 29, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakfast, perhaps a Smitty's. The one on Meadowwood has a private room.

Lunch, Boston Pizza, maybe...

Supper, has to be a larger location, can't think of anything off the top of my head. If this is on a Friday or Saturday, some restaurants need to be avoided as they don't take reservations.

Does someone have a bookmark list of the must have caches in Manitoba? Also, we don't have a lot of fizzy-friendly caches. Perhaps we can ask people to start hiding caches with terrains > 3.0.

Georgia

PostPosted: May 29, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top favourite caches are listed on ruylopez's puzzle cache - there is a start for good caches.
Round Table is a good spot for get-together with the private rooms, and fairly central too.
Sunscreen and mosquito repellent are must-haves.
All I can think of off the top of my head.

TeamDAAK

PostPosted: May 29, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you AngelFreak

It is I who contacted AngelFreak, by way of MGA. Our current group size is 3, but I'm hoping that it will be four before we head north. We are all from the Omaha, NE, USA area and have at least 2,000 caches found each.

I am planning this trip and there are a lot of details still to be determined, but we do know that we will be leaving Omaha on Wed, 17 July and plan to be in Winnipeg on the afternoon of Thu, 18 Jul.

AngelFreak suggested your monthly pub night Thu night to deconflict with another event(s) that same weekend. This should work well for us too, so we will plan on attending that Thu night.

I plan for us to cache the Winnipeg area Fri, 19 Jul. This may be the only full day of caching that we can do in Winnipeg. We would also like to do something non-caching (e.g., museum). Suggestions for caches and non-caches are welcome. Our group likes quality over quantity, so we have non-quantity goals.

My goals are to:
fill my fizzy grid: 1/4+, 4.5/5, 5/3.5
fill my Finds by Placed Month: 7/2000, 8/2000, 11/2000, 12/2000, 1/2001, 4/2001
add D/T of 2+/2+

Monty12, another participant, needs:
Fizzy: 1/3.5+, 2/5, 2.5/5, 4/3, 4/5, 4.5/1, 4.5/3, 4.5/3.5, 4.5/5, 5/3, 5/4.5

I hope that we will have a side trip to Moosomin, SK, just to get another province, on 20 Jul, and swing by GC21C for MB's oldest cache. We can certainly add another person to our car if someone else wants to join us for this day trip or add other vehicles for a caravan if more than one cacher wants to go. I'm not set on Moosomin, but it seemed convenient for SK caches.

My current plan is to leave Winnipeg Sun, 21 Jul, headed for International Falls, MN to grab caches in ON. Any cache suggestions that we MUST have within a reasonable distance along Hwy's 17, 71, and 11 would be appreciated.

We are looking forward to meeting you all, going to Canada for my first time at least, and getting some CA caches!

TeamDAAK
a.k.a. Dave
roddandtoddflanders

PostPosted: May 29, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

For some of our favorites, visit Assiniboine Park and Forest. There is a really great Trove Chasers one there (GC48NC5). There are also some really fun night caches in the forest there. This one is our favorite: GC3FW63. The zoo at Assiniboine Park will also have a new series of caches by then. http://www.assiniboinepark.ca/

One of our favorite trees is at GCT4T7 which is close to downtown.

Local history caches like GC41D6C, GCY71E, GC39WXZ, GC39YG9, GC2RGCA

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?state_id=65&sortdir=desc&sort=fav is a list of MB caches sorted by favorite points.

ruylopez has Jasmer caches, with each year as a cache so you could log into some of those. There are also caches for having attended 25 events (GC3KBDD) and 50 events (GC2WA6X). A helpful bookmark list if you are interested in challenges http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=d06cf183-3697-4a03-b342-65f10c3f30df

If you've ever done a streak there are 5 streak caches. Here is the Zombie for 365 days: GC3BNJG and there are 4 others for shorter streaks nearby.

GC48Q6A is the only Whereigo in the city and is quick and fun.

You are coming during Fringe http://www.winnipegfringe.com/ which is always fun. You could also visit the Manitoba Museum, Planetarium and Science Gallery http://www.manitobamuseum.ca/main/ or the art gallery http://wag.ca/

If you want to lift a gold bar or see money being made, the Mint is always fun www.mint.ca
dani_carriere

PostPosted: May 30, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeamDAAK wrote:
My goals are to:
fill my fizzy grid: 1/4+, 4.5/5, 5/3.5
fill my Finds by Placed Month: 7/2000, 8/2000, 11/2000, 12/2000, 1/2001, 4/2001
add D/T of 2+/2+

Monty12, another participant, needs:
Fizzy: 1/3.5+, 2/5, 2.5/5, 4/3, 4/5, 4.5/1, 4.5/3, 4.5/3.5, 4.5/5, 5/3, 5/4.5

Hi Dave! I need a lot of the same fizzy caches as Monty12. For your Jasmer needs, there are only three 8/2000 left in North America: Georgia, Michigan and Utah ... the Utah one will be closest to you. I'm travelling to Michigan in July to pick up a 7/2000 in Traverse City (ironically only a few miles from the 8/2000 cache).

Aside from caching, we're having a theatre festival in the downtown area at that time. A fun place to hang out. Let me know if you want more information. I look forwarding to meeting you. Go Corn Huskers!

dani

dani_carriere

PostPosted: May 30, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought. On your way north on the I-29, there's a town about 20 miles NW of Grand Forks, ND called Gilby. There are some very ingenious and fun caches by trycacheus that you would probably love. Very popular with the people up this way.
Shebaz Jenkins

PostPosted: May 30, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!! The trycacheus ones are great and I would definitely make the stop. Be sure to read the descriptions before you get there so that you have the required TOTT though.

Also on your way in, I would certainly check on Cacheaholic Anonymous (GC1B70P) on Hwy 75 south of Winnipeg. One of my absolute faves!

The last I would suggest is the Remember series, some are real tough and it takes you to some neat places in Winnipeg.

Hope this helps and you have a great trip.
Hockey_family

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great place would be Assiniboine Forest and the Clue Jr series. We did the Clue Jr sereis last year and it was AMAZING.
AngelFreak

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pub night is booked and will publish shortly!
http://coord.info/GC4E6MB

Thursday, July 18 @ 7PM
Fox & Hounds Tavern
1719 Portage Ave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: