Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Churchill (and Nunavut) The Sequel!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHz

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please take GFM off the list as he can't leave at harvest time. Sad I'll be travelling solo.

I'd prefer the hotel with the breakie included. I'd also prefer the bear watching instead of the whales but in the end, I will do what the majority does.
Thanks for taking this on OHMIC!

MuStash

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please add my wife to the list. That will make us MuStash & Mo. The hotel is our preferred accomodation. Neither of us has been there. This should be a grand adventure. Thank you OHMIC for the initiative.
GentlePurpleRain

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my summer plans conflict, so I won't be able to make the trip. You can remove me from the "maybe" list.

From what I recall, it's pretty rare to see a polar bear around Churchill during the summer, but the belugas are everywhere, so that's probably a better bet for those wanting to watch wildlife.
MuStash

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have gone "all in". My self acknowledged princess wife wasn't at all keen on the train ride part of this adventure. So she checked out Calm Air and discovered a seat sale that got us from Thompson to Churchill and back for $250 each. So we booked it. It's a 1 hour flight. It arrives in Churchill 3/4 of an hour before the scheduled train arrival.

Details: Calm Air 541 depart Thompson Thursday Aug 22 at 7:15 a.m. arrive Churchill Aug 22 at 8:15 a.m. Calm Air 540 depart Churchill Saturday Aug 24 at 3:00 p.m. arrive Thompson at 4:00 p.m.
ohmic

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info MuStash, perhaps others would like to take advantage of this and avoid the painful 12 to 18 hours train ride as well for $150 more.
ohmic

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itinerary:

Wednesday August 21 - drive to Thompson, either take the train or spend the night in hotel to catch the pane the next morning

Thursday August 22 - arrive in Churchill (either by plane or train) explore Churchill, find some caches in town and meet at hotel for Pub Night

Friday August 23 - pick up from hotel by bus, tour of the CNSC and lunch, grab the cache at the CNSC and head to the Nunavut shore event at low tide (4:05pm). Head back to hotel. Free evening.

Saturday August 24 - Free personal day, a choice of tours can be arranged (whales, bear, fort, etc.) return to Thompson (train at

Sunday August 25 - drive back to Winnipeg

So far we have :

OHMIC
ruylopez & Zachary
JB
Gnirips & Mrs. Gnirips
Jean Déniche
MHz
THz and Mrs. THz
MuStash & Mo
4elements5senses

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this sounds like a good time!! Churchill is on my list of places to see! I am glad the 2nd set of dates were chosen as the 1st set definitely did not work for me. I am a definite maybe; I will know more once I am back in Winnipeg and at home to look at my holiday schedule.
ohmic

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have submitted the Pub Night event and the Nunavut Shore Lunch Event.
There might be two other events to be published: a Geocaching Training Event on the Friday afternoon at the CNSC as well as a Breakfast event on the Saturday morning.

The hotel rooms have been booked and reservations made at the pub for the event.

You will have to book your own transportation to get to Churchill whether you're going by train (www.viarail.ca) or by plane (www.calmair.com).

On Friday, a bus driver/guard will pick us up from the hotel, take us to Churchill Norhern Studies Centre for a tour of the facilities and a presentation on polar bear. This will be followed by the Shore Lunch Event in Nunavut and back to town for the evening.

Saturday will be your free time to explore Churchill on your own before going back to Thompson.
Many tour companies offer a variety of ways to explore Churchill such as Sea North Tour (www.seanorthtours.com).

More info to come.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though i'm a maybe, i'll cast a vote. I'm easy for either hotel or hostel. Mind you, with quad occupancy in the hotel, that's pretty much the same cost as the hostel per person, so hotel gets the preferred nod from me. The train ride sounds like an adventure. Smile
GroovyPinkSocks

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the child care worked out, so now on to the finances, things are looking really positive for this trip! Thanks to OHMIC for arranging it!
MHz

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now ordered my train ticket, THz is going to book is own train ticket soon and Mrs. THz has decided to not come on the trip.

I have asked seanorthtours.com about going on their "Beluga and Fort Tour" on Saturday Aug24 for $115 each and am hopefully booking THz and myself.
Hope some more from the group can join us.

Looking forward to the adventure as well as the caching!

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just learning about this now. I'd be interesting in going. Price seems right, and timing seems good for me too.

How do I sign up?

glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dani's in? Then i'm out. Lol

Actually the real reason I'm out is that my mother-in-law is having eye surgery right as this trip is departing. I need to be around for transportation. Argh! So close!

Ah well, in a couple more years, I could take Ice Cube #1.

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea where we're going to park our cars? Someone posted on facebook that they're likely to be vandalized if we leave them at the train station. I think z'tirnats had an off site place planned for that.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dani_carriere wrote:
Any idea where we're going to park our cars? Someone posted on facebook that they're likely to be vandalized if we leave them at the train station. I think z'tirnats had an off site place planned for that.

For the last trip, Z'tirnats mentions two secured parking lots. I found this page that mentions parking at city hall or a nearby campground. You'd have to pay, but your car would be secure.

Thompson City Hall - fchief@city.thompson.mb.ca Secure Lot - Free Parking (donation)
McCreedy Campground - 204-778-8810 Secure Lot - Paid Parking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Events & Contests Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: