Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XII Manitoba Dragoons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stonagal

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: XII Manitoba Dragoons Reply with quote

This cache (GC3306) is the 7th oldest active in Manitoba. I'm contemplating making a trip to find this one sometime while I'm home from school (Dec. 13-31). It's near Virden, Manitoba and would essentially be a daytrip from Winnipeg. It takes a couple hours in the summer, but in winter you can cut across a field and the frozen Assiniboine River and be back in about 45 minutes total.

I haven't decided yet if I'll make the drive this winter, but I thought I'd gauge interest ahead of time, to see if anyone else would be up for making the drive (or, if you live in Westman, meeting me there). The cache would be a Jasmer hit for me (January 2002), and takes you one step closer to completing the All Our Yesterdays Challenge (GC39619) and Half-Century Challenge (GC4PFQJ). Plus it starts with the letter X, in case you haven't found such a cache yet.

Any takers? The date is up for discussion. And we'd be finding other caches along the way, no question. Interestingly, only 25 cachers have found this nearly 12-year old cache. Previous finders assure me you can't DNF it once you make it to GZ. Also, my weekends are pretty well spoken for while I'm in town, so this would probably have to be on a weekday.

Last edited by Stonagal on Dec 11, 2013 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total
AngelFreak

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally up for this! I can let you know which dates I'm free (no kids).
TeamAngryHamster

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm free from 16 Dec - 6 Jan with the exceptions of 24-27, of course.

Count me in if there's room!
MissionMode

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tempted if we can make the day work.
Stonagal

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted this on the MBGA Facebook page as well. Right now I'm looking at Boxing Day as the ideal day to go. I can take three passengers in my car. If there are more interested we'll have to take multiple vehicles.
TeamAngryHamster

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha I would love to reply to you on there but they still haven't responded to my friend request :p

I will be in the Whiteshell during those days.

If you come up with something aside from Boxing day, Josh, let me know and I'll see if I can make it work.

Thanks!

Aaron
Stonagal

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I can now make either the 26th or 27th work. Which day we go will be determined by which has the better weather forecast. Between this forum and Facebook, it seems more cachers can make it on the 27th, so if both days are forecasted to have favourable weather, we'll go on the 27th. I'll make a decision by the 23rd or 24th.
Stonagal

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: the plan is to go on the 27th, this Friday. Plans are being worked out primarily through Facebook (Manitoba Geocaching-Association profile).
Those interested can meet in the Unicity Walmart parking lot at 9:00 AM on Friday.

It bears emphasizing: we will be walking across a frozen river (Assiniboine). Though precautions will be taken, there is always the risk of breaking through. I myself will be bringing ice picks and a chisel to gauge ice thickness as we walk across, and I am fine being the “leader” as we cross. If you have snowshoes or ice picks, feel free to bring those. If it helps, I walked across the width of the Assiniboine in Winnipeg last week without issue (at Assiniboine Park).

Bring food if you’d like, but we’ll stop for lunch in either Virden or, more likely, Brandon. Supper we’ll play by ear. And of course, bring warm clothes, even if the weather is mild. We’ll be outside a lot.

So then: who’s in for Friday? And who can drive if needed? All cachers welcome.
Stonagal

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recap: The 27th was an absolutely gorgeous day for winter caching (~1 degree and no precipitation). We definitely lucked out. After caching our way to Virden, rurbonas, 4elements5senses, Bike_4_me, and myself parked up on the hill 600 m east of GZ, geared up, and walked down the path and over the fields toward the river. There wasn't enough snow on the ground in this area for snowshoes, so those were left behind. We made a beeline for the river, and could see the cache in the tree from across the way. But the banks were steep so another way was sought and found south of our location, where a drain from the field produced a more gradual descent. We crossed the river without issue and found the container full of water and ice, trapping the ammo can inside. Had to use force to free the ammo can, and then use delicate force to access the log and cache contents. Unfortunately the original log is wet and damaged, so we left a new log in a plastic bag. After getting some pictures of our group, we headed back to the car. The climb back up the hill took effort, and we were all quite warm when we got to the top.

A great day and a great adventure! Thanks to those who joined me, and also to those who had expressed interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: