Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wildlife Management Areas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VictoriaRM

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Wildlife Management Areas Reply with quote

There is a Wildlife Management Area near me that I am trying to figure out who maintains it. There used to be a "Friends of Rae's Ski Trail" group that groomed the trail but from what I can find it doesnt exist anymore. It is a GORGEOUS hike full of hills and amazing scenery.

I would like to hide a cache(or many) but cant get a hold of anyone who can tell me who would give me permission to do it. I have permission from the RM that its located in to hide one there, but I would also like to talk to someone about painting their signage and advertising it a little better.

Can anyone give me any direct contacts I could call? Ive been hunting for this information since March!!

Thanks so much, and if youre in the area shoot me a message.
Trove Chasers

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried contacting anyone at Wildlife Branch
Box 24, 200 Saulteaux Crescent
Winnipeg MB R3J 3W3
Hours: Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m CST

Phone: (204)945-7775
Fax: (204)945-3077
VictoriaRM

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried them in the past, left messages with no return calls. Ill just have to keep trying. I actually stopped there this past weekend for a hike and found it totally overgrown. My husband and I hiked in the spring before everything had a chance to grow so Im not sure that the trail is actually groomed in the summer for hiking. Maybe just in the winter for skiing.
MuStash

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some information that might be helpful: I hiked the Rae Trail on Sept 26, 2011 with another geocacher, MLKoop. First of all, we learned about the trail from the Prairie Pathfinders' book titled "Hiking the Heartland". According to their book, the ski group does not exist anymore. The Prairie Pathfinders did an annual hike on the Rae Trail and also did some maintenance at that time. They had also placed some club signage along the trail. The WMAs are not provincial parks and don't require parks permission to place caches. Especially seeing as how you got the RM's permission, I think you should just go ahead and place caches. To this day, I wish we had placed some caches when we were there. I don't know if the Prairie Pathfinders still visit the trail. But I'd suggest contacting them through their website to see if they still actively use the trail. At one time they organized an annual hike there.
VictoriaRM

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SO much for that information MuStash. I was starting to worry that my trail has gone cold. Theres a local camp that would love to use the area for their summer programming and keep the trail groomed in the summer for it but they dont want to make any one angry. Ill try contacting that group to see what they have to say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: