Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blackberry?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Blackberry? Reply with quote

Okay we don't have a foggy clue how you guys get the instant message on your (is it a cellphone or PDA?) from geocaching that a new cache is listed but we are curious. Can one of you who has invested in this please let us know the simplest and cheapest way to be online in one's vehicle at any given time besides having the bulk of a laptop. Or does one have to have a laptop? I can just see us can shopping now for a van (ahem) we need  seats for humans and one for our laptop and other electronic gadgetry...My husband has a Ipaq with Bluetooth technology that is not enabled.

FoodNinja

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Blackberry? Reply with quote

foodninja caches with pen and paper... that is it! oh yeah gbs too.. Lizardo, ertyu, and turdleggs would be the top of my list of people to ask on this one.

ertyu

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Blackberry? Reply with quote

I have the notifications sent to my phone's email address. I have to stop by a computer terminal and phone a friend for details :( Lizard has the full data package and can surf the www on his blackberry at reasonable rates.

TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Blackberry? Reply with quote

You can have the new cache notifications sent to your cell phone. Thereís usually an additional cost Ė I think 3Tís just priced it out. The new cache notification includes the name and GC waypoint Ė and thatís it. You can then ďWAPĒ to the gc.com web site from your cell phone and enter in the waypoint to get the coordinates, cache description and hint. Itís slow, and thereís an additional charge to have your cell phone browse the internet (I think JayPeg looked into the browsing fee).

With the Blackberry, youíre truly online but thereís a BIG monthly cost Ė Lizardo might be able to tell you how much.

Or, you can have the new cache notifications sent to your cell phone, then use it to call a friend thatís sitting in front of a computer and have them read out the cache page to you :)

-- Edited by TurdleEggs at 11:43, 2006-10-10

lizardo

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: RE: Blackberry? Reply with quote

If you want the cache notifications, you can do as ertyu and Turdle have done and have them sent to your cell phone's e-mail address.  You will be incurring data charges, and you don't  get the coordinates, just the notification. 

With Blackberry, I still get the notifications, but am able to use the built in Web browser to look up the cache page, get a hint, log my find, etc.  The cost would be significant, but I am using an unlimited data transfer plan.  Even so, that is costing me about 150.00 monthly.  I use it mostly for work, so it is worth it for me.  Average over the past 3 months has been only about 10 % of my data usage allocated to Geocaching.

Another option is the reliable 3T's network.  You can have the e-mail notifications sent to your cell, and give her a call for the cache details.  I have used this service in the past and have found it to be quite reasonable, although you may have to put up with some abuse from time to time.  ;)

Before I got the Blackberry, and previous to the launch of the 3T's network, I would use my PDA to tap in to an unsecured wireless network.  There are tons of them in the city, I don't know about Morris.  But when I was in Beausejour, I had not trouble finding a hotspot there.

TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Blackberry? Reply with quote

I should probably explain a little better about WAP. Essentially itís a web site designed to run on a little cell phone screen. GeoCaching.comís WAP site is at:

http://wap.geocaching.com/

Many cell phones come with a mini web browser now, but you will be charged at data rates over and above whatever plan you have. Itís not as expensive as the Blackberry though; you pay by-the-minute charges, and itís too slow to do much more than looking up coordinates on GC.com so you likely wonít rack up a bunch of usage time. Now that GC includes the waypoint in the new cache notification, you can look up the coordinates fairly quickly via WAP. You can also login and log your find via WAP.

WAP also lets you lookup Travel Bugs. You can quickly lookup the TB tag and see its origin and goal and view itís recent travel history.

-- Edited by TurdleEggs at 08:07, 2006-10-11

JayPeg

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Blackberry? Reply with quote

I have the notification sent to my phone. All incoming text messages are free. I did try the WAP and it cost $.03/kb. on the MTS setup. I believe if you pay the extra $5/mth the downloads are unlimited. The WAP does not provide a lot of details so I usually get the notification then phone a friend for the coords.

If you need more details on setting up the phone notification, let me know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: