Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bomb Squad blows up suspicious package

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Bomb Squad blows up suspicious package Reply with quote

Yesterday the Wpg. police blew up a suspicious package that had been left in a kid's playground. Had to admit I was a little concerned it was a geocache left by someone but once I saw it was in a garbage can (wrapped in brown paper) I felt better. It is a good warning for us to avoid playgrounds - but we've hidden one in a busy park that still has kid's playing soccer nearby. Now I don't think it looks like a bomb but all geocaches look suspicious in my opinion.

Can  you imagine watching the local news and seeing one of our community's caches blown up? Yikes. Don't they scan the object first?

Anybody else see this news piece?

junglehair

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Bomb Squad blows up suspicious package Reply with quote

There is a guy I know in Erie, Pennsylvania who's cache was blown up by the bomb squad.  He'd hidden it outside a police station (with their permission).

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCKR1P

I also know of one that was a locked box attached to the chain link fence around a playground.  There was  a puzzle to figure out the combination to get into the cache.  This too aroused a great deal of suspicion from the neighbours who thought it was being used by drug dealers or something.  I was one of the "unsavoury characters" that found that cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCJT8X

Peter and Gloria

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Bomb Squad blows up suspicious package Reply with quote

When I first heard the promo story "suspicious package that had been left in a kid's playground" and also thought "I hope it's not a geocache". Once I saw the location, a park off Assiniboine, then I figured it could be a new cache since there are no caches in that park. Once I saw the garbage can & the package, I was relieved.

I may not help, but I always try to have "Geocache" and the "geocaching.com" on the outside of my caches.

1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Bomb Squad blows up suspicious package Reply with quote

I wish they had informed the public if it really was a bomb or drugs or whatever? Now I'm puzzling over what it might have been. I mean seriously if someone dropped something into a garbage can who would assume it was a bomb? I suppose I'm not suspicious and I'd think aah old lunch or something. There must be a history to that park. I actually think micro's look more like small detonators than the big caches do. We always hope cachers are discreet when they replace them.

lizardo

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: RE: Bomb Squad blows up suspicious package Reply with quote

Here's another similar story I ran across today: Click Here

Yikes.  Pay for a bomb squad response? Geez.

The comment thread on Fark.com is funny too.  Read it here

-- Edited by Lizardo at 20:13, 2006-02-16

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: RE: Bomb Squad blows up suspicious package Reply with quote

Here's a related booklist that has tried to capture all the caches that have been blown up or investigated by authorities:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=7e604e17-833c-4e7e-9222-
2e4bd0d76070

More there than I expected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: