Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Group Caching Outing?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThreeTs

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

As part of a group caching outing last week which was good times all around, it has been suggested to me that we perhaps make this more of a regular thing.  We would meet up at a designated spot (or two, depending on the interest and the number of people coming) and do some caching in that area and then off for some good eats and cache talk!  If there is enough interest, I will post as an event (or some other thing) for all to come and enjoy.  I can't post here as not everybody reads these forums.

How about Thursday May 25, say 5pm?  Place TBA?

Tobey of 3T's&aG, MBGA Event Co-Ordinator

grnbrg

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

ThreeTs wrote:
I will post as an event (or some other thing) for all to come and enjoy.  I can't post here as not everybody reads these forums.

On the other hand, a huge group might not be nearly as managable.

How about Thursday May 25, say 5pm?  Place TBA?

Sounds good to me.

Suggestion: Once an area is selected, create a bookmark list of nearby caches that can be downloaded/printed/etc.

grnbrg
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

Im in. The U of M, Forks area, Tuxedo forest, Little Mountain Park, Hwy 8 and the Perimeter (ha ha) all have enough caches that we could park in one place and go for a leisurely hike.

dani_carriere

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

5PM is a little early for me ... HOWEVER, if you pick a place / time for munchies, I could always meet up with you. (I normally work until 6:30PM ish)

TurdleEggs

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

Dani: If you knew someone with a cell phone (me for example), maybe you could call and catch up with the group at one of the caches. Then you could at least say you did some caching before going for supper

bevro

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

Maybe to simplify things, why not set up a regular weekly time & meeting point (like a local Sals, God knows there's enough of them) and just let people congregate before heading off.  No hassles other than indicating which is the Sals of Choice (Pembina Hwy near U of M, the bridge at the Forks, etc.) and whoever shows up can wait until the designated search time and head out with whoever else shows up.  This could be updated weekly on the MGCA website for all to see or a monthly sched posted.

Now if I can just manage to stay in town for the next six weeks, I'd love to join y'all (practising for Texas!).

ThreeTs

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

grnbrg wrote:
 On the other hand, a huge group might not be nearly as managable. 

Depending on the interest and who wants to come, we could always do a couple of different groups to go to a couple of different locations (Assiniboine Forest, UofM Campus, etc.) and then all meet up after at one central location

Suggestion: Once an area is selected, create a bookmark list of nearby caches that can be downloaded/printed/etc.

This can and will be done, I'm sure!

Cache and Cary

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. As long as we can keep it to a semi-leisurely pace. I realize it's a bit painful for "the rabid cache hounds" who hit the ground running sniffing out the cache a bassett hunting for a rabbit.

dani_carriere

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

Tim, send me an email with your cell number ... I'll let you guys know ahead of time if I'm planning on meeting up with you ...

ertyu

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea! But can we pick an area where I have caches to find, like say Brandon, haha

-- Edited by ertyu at 10:17, 2006-05-16

lizardo

PostPosted: May 16, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

I can't remember which groups' forum I was sharking around in a couple of weeks ago.  But they had a thread for posting such a thing on their forum.  You would simply post when you were planning on going caching, and a list of caches or an area and cachers would e-mail to let you know they would come.

An event would work too, but you would have to plan that further ahead.  Using the forums would work best for me.  But, I'm flexible.     

MHz

PostPosted: May 16, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

I think the forums for this type of thing works just fine. I'd be up for caching anywhere even if I have found them before. Sometimes finding a cache a second time can be a challenge if it's been moved by other cachers. MHz

ThreeTs

PostPosted: May 16, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

Since there was enough interest expressed here, my partner in crime and I (that would be TurdleEggs as the idea was originally his) have worked up an event listing to be posted soon (we hope) to gc.com.  We figured going through there would be easiest as not everybody reads these forums and its easier to keep track of things that way.  If it becomes a regular outing, we could perhaps go through the forums once people are aware of the regularness of the event.  Watch for the group caching event listing on a gc.com page near you soon and hope to see you all there!

TurdleEggs

PostPosted: May 16, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

. . . and just to give you heads up, the first outing is going to be:

Where: The Forks

When: Thursday, May 25 at 5:00 PM

Meet: Outside the Salisbury House on the Esplanade Riel

Optional Supper:

Where: Old Spaghetti Factory in the Forks Market

When: 8:00 PM.

. . . with caches:

Eye of the Man (Cathedral Illuminations)

Emmer's Cache

On the Waterfront

No.1 Northern

Upper Fort Garry Gate Cache

Fountain Promenade

The Forks

grnbrg

PostPosted: May 16, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Group Caching Outing? Reply with quote

ThreeTs wrote:
Watch for the group caching event listing on a gc.com page near you soon and hope to see you all there!

Might I suggest "Blitzing the Forks!"?

grnbrg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: