Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to PBD's caches?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
winnipegk5

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

It will be a loss to not have any pbd hides out there. I've found alot of his caches. Some were easy and there were some that I never did find even though they were clearly there. I think quality is in the eye of the beholder.

I've found alot of caches and there have been some hides in different cities that I was not a fan of. (ie. caches hidden in the middle of the desert in a red ammo case under a 2 foot high tumble weed). That being said I would never openly criticize somone for their choice of hides and I hope people would not criticize mine.

It takes a lot of time and effort to assemble and place caches and the different variety of cache types and locations make the sport very interesting. If every cache was an ammo case hidden at the end of a 10 km hike then even that would get old after awhile.    

If people don't like someones hiding style then they can choose not to search for those caches. I didn't see anybody complaining about pbd caches when there were only 200 caches in the province. It's amazing how quickily people get spoiled. 

That's just my 2 cents.

-- Edited by winnipegk5 at 19:20, 2006-10-20

-- Edited by winnipegk5 at 21:38, 2006-10-20

Jimbo 2

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

winnipegk5 wrote:

It will be a loss to not have any pbd hides out there. I've found alot of his caches. Some were easy and there were some that I never did find even though they were clearly there. I think quality is in the eye of the beholder.

I've found alot of caches and there have been some hides in different cities that I was not a fan of. (ie. caches hidden in the middle of the desert in a red ammo case under a 2 foot high tumble weed). That being said I would never openly criticize somone for their choice of hides and I hope people would not criticize mine.

It takes a lot of time and effort to assemble and place caches and the different variety of cache types and locations make the sport very interesting. If every cache was an ammo case hidden at the end of a 10 km hike then even that would get old after awhile.    

If people don't like someones hiding style then they can choose not to search for those caches. I didn't see anybody complaining about pbd caches when there were only 200 caches in the province. It's amazing how quickily people get spoiled. 

That's just my 2 cents.

-- Edited by winnipegk5 at 19:20, 2006-10-20

-- Edited by winnipegk5 at 21:38, 2006-10-20

Well said...

TheStuntman

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

Like him or hate him he will truely be missed. 

PBD's caches had a style that maybe not everyone liked. But that never seemed to stop anyone from finding more.

Many times I have cursed the fact that I had to spend another afternoon in the pine trees (and for the record most were Spruce) but that was the challenge.

How many of us are gratefull for the fact that we have, in my case, close to 100 finds because of those caches. I know I am.

There are a lot worse cache out there, but all of us consider them as another notch in the number game. We would not have nearly as many finds if we were looking for that cache at the end of the rainbow.

Maybe we don't like everyone's style of hiding but we keep looking. Let's do it without pointing fingers.

PBD I'm sorry to see you go.

-- Edited by TheStuntman at 02:05, 2006-10-21

MHz

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

A lot of good things have been said here that I fully agree with. I've certainly cursed some PBD hides but was always happy to have another one behind me sometimes after several visits and going way out of my way to find them. You will be missed.

I took the liberty of looking through your caches to figure out if there was any TB's still out there.

Turns out there are 3:
Emmalee's Education TB is in The Quick Find Cache
Drone is in A Digger's Delight
Special Edition Log for Cachers is in PBD's possession.

I am more than willing to get these TB's off you PBD once they are all together unless you are willing to drop them off yourself.

MHz

TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Adoption - Triplets Reply with quote

Three polarbeardiggers caches are still active. Team TurdleEggs are the proud parents of three bouncing baby PBD caches in the Vivian area. They’re all nicely camouflaged and hidden Lock ‘n Locks in scenic locations. They’re intact as hidden with the original contents and log book.

Collector Edition ' L ' should remain winter friendly
Collector Edition 'S' can be found in the winter, but will be a bit tricky
Collector Edition ' C' won’t be winter friendly, so come get it while you can!

Happy hunting,

TurdleEggs

polarbeardiggers

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

over saturday i managed to pick up about 22 of my caches,but came down with the flu on sunday,i will place any travel bugs that i find in other caches,there obviously be a few caches i can't retreive until spring,but not to worry,i have a few more weekends left yet before we hibernate completely,.

1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

Hey PBD, We started caching almost the same weekend and have both worked at hiding many caches in Manitoba. There are very few caches we've tried for that we haven't found and we don't give up easily. Our boys found your caches had high quality contents and we are thankful for the amount of money and time and effort you put into the duck tape, the dollar store and more items, and hiding all over the province. We are sorry it went this way for you. I wish you'd have come to more of the events since I think if people had really gotten to know you they'd have found out how much this game meant to you and your relationship with your son. It is a game after all. Your log entries in our physical caches were thoughtful and well written. We especially enjoyed the Blackout cache and your cache in La Barriere Park was one of our first finds - thank you! Many of our finds and great family memories were created at your hides. And we always enjoyed the early FTF races between you and Gumpy for our hides as well. We know how you enjoyed the thrill. From all 5 of us thank you.

TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Adopt a Cache Reply with quote

Calling all Manitoba cachers: If there’s a favorite PBD cache you’d like to adopt, I‘d encourage you to contact polarbeardiggers to see if you can make arrangements. Act quickly though as PBD has already started removing caches.

Polarbeardiggers were undeniably colorful characters in the history of GeoCaching in Manitoba and instrumental in taking caching forward through their participation in the MBGA and of course the 137 caches they placed. Help keep that history alive and pay tribute to a memorable cacher by adopting one of his caches.

If you pursue adoption, polarbeardiggers will need to request Cache-Effect that heshe un-archive the cache first. Cache-Effect is whole-heartily behind restoring the PBD caches and is eager to help.

I hope I’m not out of line with this post PBD, but there seems to be a lot of interest in adopting your caches and I, like many others, would like to see the PBD history and caches kept active.

TurdleEggs (Tim)

candaceandwill

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

At our request, PDB has asked for the un-archiving of Found Finally, Little Bomber and Micro Cache 2 for us to adopt.  We will fix/replace them, and they'll be good to go again in no time. 

Thanks PDB for letting us care for them. 

Jimbo 2

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

I would like to thank PBD's for letting me revive Cache Caddy six.

Just published today. Still same cache, in same place.

I live about 167 metres from it, so maintaining it won't be a problem....

-- Edited by Jimbo 2 at 17:57, 2006-10-24

-- Edited by Jimbo 2 at 17:58, 2006-10-24

TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Six More Adoptions Reply with quote

I knew there’d be repercussions when the pharmacist gave me fertility drugs instead of my poison ivy meds.

TurdleEggs are the proud parents of six more polarbeardiggers caches. The five duct-tape origami works of art, Geko Guesser Limited editions #1, #2, #3, #4 and #5 hidden near Anola and Seddons Corner, and the nicely located Purple Martin cache in Beausejour.

Thanks PBD and Cache-Effect.

Happy Caching!

-- Edited by TurdleEggs at 09:35, 2006-10-25

kruzrrr

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

This is truly a sad event, that the geocaching community would lose a a fellow cacher like PBD. All caches aside, here we have someone who has been a credit to the Geo community and will be missed greatly. We are less without the PBD team.

I hope some day your spirit can be rekindled to bring you back.

kruzrrr

slippery_1

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

Hear Hear....hope you are listening PBD...no matter how you feel now you will always have a place in our geocaching communities.

FoodNinja

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

several pbd caches were just un archived...    welcome back  ::????

Jimbo 2

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: RE: What happened to PBD's caches? Reply with quote

FoodNinja wrote:

several pbd caches were just un archived...    welcome back  ::????

I noticed that too.

Good to have you back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: