Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

Hi all,

Reaching 1000  caches (a few times) raised a number of questions that no one seemed to want to tackle, like how many were placed since caching started here, what percentage have been archived, what's the ratio of cache types over time, are we being overrun with micros, etc, etc?

So I PQ'd grnbrg's archived cache list (thanks) and then tried to add all the active caches in Manitoba into GSAK. Exported it into excel via csv and ran a bunch of pivot table queries and generated the following tables which people may find interesting (I know I did).

First archived caches. Naturally the older the cache the more likely it is to be archived but I was surprised that only 20% of caches placed since caching began in MB have been archived. The table below shows by year the cache was placed the percentage of active vs archived caches. Note that we are at 1290 total placed caches. I noticed that I seem a couple of caches light on the active count (1020 rather than 1022) so there may be a few errors but it should be pretty close.

-- Edited by Dragonfreys at 00:58, 2006-12-02

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Cache types Reply with quote

Next was the type of caches placed from the beginning

This wasn't too surprising although I didn't realise there had been that many events already. Then it was split out by year.

This is a very encouraging trend for caching in Manitoba. Looks like a log growth curve.

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Cache Density Reply with quote

By this point I was starting to wonder about cache density so I popped the data into a GIS and ran a kernel density grid analysis on 100 m resolution for Manitoba and 50 m in Winnipeg. Winnipeg's density was so much higher than every where else I had to show the Manitoba density as a standard deviation to have any other hotspots show up (a little over 400 of the active caches in MB are within the perimeter by the way). It gives you a good idea where the hot spots of caching are in the province.

Note that the Winnipeg area analysis uses the perimeter (roughly) as a cutoff but much of the high density caching unfiltered was carried to the northeast all the way to Bird's Hill PP.

Its pretty easy to see where there is room for more caches and where the density is already pretty high. The highest density spot is the UofM with over 10 caches/sq km.

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Caches by Month Reply with quote

Does cache placing slow down in the winter - you betcha. Do you think the May blitz had an impact? Check this out.

Last edited by Dragonfreys on Aug 16, 2008 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Cache Size Reply with quote

One of the big issues of late is the perceived proliferation of micros. Are we really being overrun with the little buggers? Perhaps not, looks like small is the cache size of choice, followed by regular and micros coming in at third. Very Happy

Last edited by Dragonfreys on Aug 16, 2008 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

HOLY COW!!!!

Amazing!  You've put a whole lot of work into this Sean!  I'm extremely impressed.  I'm a fan of statistics.

I would be interested in having this permanently available on our web site.  Is this something you'd be willing to share there?

You're my hero!

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Bugs Reply with quote

Another stat that was queried because it was there, was what is the probability of a given cache type containing a travel bug? Now you know.

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Other stats Reply with quote

I also looked at whether or not difficulty and terrain ratings were changing over the years and it seems a bit inconclusive on a cursory view. You can get the whole spreadsheet with all the various worksheets from here. Feel free to take it and massage out other stats that appear to support any number of viewpoints.

Now I should sleep Gnite all.

slippery_1

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

Now I personaly could think of several other things to do at 2 am on a Saturaday morning, 1 being night caching, 2 being under the sheetes dreaming about caching, but none the less very impressive.

I proudly point out the map where the two rivers meet in the north...quite impressive red coloring there don't ya think? HUmmmmmmmm!

Never ceases to amaze me the tallents we find caching.

Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

Quite the interesting.  I may only be a newbie cacher still, but it's still quite informative.  I KNEW we weren't being overrun with micros.  As said elsewhere... like 90% of the micros are either Mayors or Conquistas (which tend to still indeed be fun for the most part).

Yeah, safe assumtion caches placed in winter will be less.  Well... at least I'll be adding at least one in December (unless something else goes horribly wrong) :P.  Possibly two, but we'll see.

But as someone else mentioned, these would be interesting to see on the main mbga page.

ertyu

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

There is one problem though, many of the "micros" are listed as small caches.

JayPeg

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

Very impressive work you did Dragonfreys. You mentioned pivot tables and I shuddered. Glad you knew what you were doing. The stats revealed some interesting information.

Thanks for the hard work.

winnipegk5

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

Very interesting stats. Thanks for spending all the time it must have taken to put them all together. .

Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

ertyu wrote:

There is one problem though, many of the "micros" are listed as small caches.

This is true (if one goes by my definitions... that being that an altoids container is a micro).  I asked on the geocaching.com board about that once, and the general consensus is that an altoids tin (regular size) was a small.

Bah... the first cache I'm putting out will be a 'small', but I could easily fit about 6-8 altoids tins INSIDE of it :P  I say we lobby that Altoids tins be called micros

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: RE: Manitoba Geocaching Placement Statistics Reply with quote

dani_carriere wrote:

I would be interested in having this permanently available on our web site.  Is this something you'd be willing to share there?

Actually they are already on the MBGA website in an album here. I do this type of work for a living so it really didn't take long. Took me longer to try to get the images posted properly while working around the idosyncrocies of IE7.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: