Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your Caching Name
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grnbrg

PostPosted: May 04, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

The origins of my nick are terribly obscure, and would be hard to guess.

I got into online communities in the late 80s when I was in high school. Online at that time meant local single line bulletin boards run by hobbyists. If anyone remembers "Adam Selene", that would be me. :grin: The first internet connected system I had access to was "System6626", run by Vic Spicer, which required (I *think*) that you use your real name. So I needed a login name.

Now, as I went through school, I managed to share nearly every class I was ever in with at least one (and sometimes two) other Br[iy]ans. This lead to friends (both my own age and adults) and even teachers calling me by my last name, a trend that continues today. And since login ids were (and still are in many places) limited to 8 characters, the vowels got stripped out. "grnbrg" was born.

Since then, I have tended to use that nick wherever I have the option of specifying it. Lately this has become somewhat difficult, as there are are several other grnbrgs out there on the net. I've even found "bgrnbrg" already in use by someone else on the odd site.

grnbrg
GrumpyIII

PostPosted: May 05, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

My friends gave me the nick name Grumpy.  I happen to mention it to my Grandmother, and Her response was that  Grandpa was Grumpy, Dad was Grumpy Jr., and therefore I was GrumpyIII.  So it's true folks, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

slippery_1

PostPosted: May 06, 2006 6:08 am    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

I was handed this nic when in school and it has not only been a badge of honor but depicted my more youthful ways.I had teachers always saying how I was just a slippery devil and was always managing to just avoid the capital punishment of old days (strappings).

But that didn't mean the schools never saved the best for the last...send him home to dad..wow, man that was just plain cruel and unusual punishment.

As I grew older and the days of CB's and amature radio days I was stuck with the name, all my friends came to know me as slippery and well I guess I'm stuck with it. It was that or pop's and somehow that never seemed appropriate here.

dutch53

PostPosted: May 09, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

Nothing special with our name.  "Dutch" where I was born "53" when I was born.  "BB" is my wife's first two intials.  At the time it was user name to register at geocaching.com.  We might have spent more time thinking about if we knew then what we know now! 

AgentMB

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

I use another name with Agent in it on some other boards, which spun off from some Inspector Gadget jokes.

I figured I'd keep Agent and use MB for Manitoba.

dani_carriere

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

My father's family name being Carriere, and my Christian name Danielle, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Dani. So, I called myself Dani, and came to be called Dani_Carriere.

(Big shiny quarter to the person who can tell me the origins of this paragraph!).

grnbrg

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

dani_carriere wrote:
My father's family name being Carriere, and my Christian name Danielle, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Dani. So, I called myself Dani, and came to be called Dani_Carriere.

(Big shiny quarter to the person who can tell me the origins of this paragraph!).

Ya gotta love the innerweb....

"My father's family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip."

Charles Dickens, Great Expectations, Chapter 1, Paragraph 1.

grnbrg
dani_carriere

PostPosted: May 15, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

stoopid innerweb!  That should have taken longer!  Good job, Brian!  Shiny quarter next time I see you!

Ztirnats

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

Ok I take you way back in the world of cyber space, before the internet was functional and into the life of Bulletin Board operators....  I was co sysop of of one of the larger BB's in Winnipeg at that time and  needed a handle.  NOT being extremely creative I used Ztirnats as a variation of my name,  Since that day Z'tirnats has been (in online gaming)  a very nasty gnome, a Mon Calamari Merchant and flew as an online pilot both in WW1 and as a bomber pilot in WW2  (Z for Zombie, a very famous Canadian Lancaster was my chariot).  Z'ad came about as the Z had to stay and is a very famous entertainer on 7 star systems in the online world.  (originally wanted Zed for the Canadian roots but it was already taken by someone who was a  fan of Men in Black) 

We just started geocaching and we found out about it after a quick search on google for GPS games  (had a gps unit but really didn't know what to do with it, maps in Winnipeg are rather useless)  When geocaching was discovered Z and Z fell in love with the concept and the community that supports it.  A new set of geocachers was born!

JayPeg

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

I am guessing that everyone knows what a jpeg is, well that is not what I had in mind when I came up with this name many years ago. The name comes from the first part of my name, Jayson, and the last part of this wonderful city I have resided in for more than 30 years. That is how JayPeg
flyguy75

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

Started flyfishing about 5 years ago and recently (like last week) discovered Geocaching.  Was looking for a nick and figured since I tied flies I could be flyguy ... it was taken on the main Geo boards so I added my birth year and voila flyguy75 was born.  Also now that I have it I have some good ideas for making wooden tokens for leaving. (if I ever find a cache that is hehe)

ChargerDad

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

My new car..... the 'Dad' part is self-explanatory.

And yeah, it's got a Hemi.

slippery_1

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

polarbeardiggers wrote: it was perfect,the polarbeardiggers was it,and around the christmas season you will see us on t.v ,my young cub and i drinking coke up at the north pole.

And now on Tv during the Summer avoiding the sun and laying on the beach as well...

You beasts are becoming so versitile...CAreful you don't spread yourselve too thin.

etamin

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

A long while, I used to post on the intarweb under the handle of The_High_Desert, which came from my love of staying up late and listening to Art Bell (From the high desert and the great American southwest) and not from some drug laced cactus (as many people thought). After deciding that it was just too much of a pain to always type that in, I started to look for something different and found etamin, a variant on the name of a star making up the right eye of the constellation of Draco the Dragon. I debated choosing his left eye, Rastabon, but decided that I just wasn't funky enough to pull it off.

Jimbo 2

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: RE: Your Caching Name Reply with quote

I figured Jim and Jimbo were already taken, so I just tried "Jimbo 2", and it worked. It's very likely there is already a Jim on Geocaching.com.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: