Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Untouchable.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuStash

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

I'm scheduled to work the weekend of Feb . 24 but have put in a leave request. If I can get the time off and no other muggle life realities get in the way, I'll be there.

MuStash

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: A canis lupus earworm story Reply with quote

In the summer of 2004, prior to owning a GPSr and learning about geocaching, my enjoyment of nature hiking had reawakened. I had set out on a solo hike to Horseshoe Lake in the Whiteshell. I was a couple of miles down the trail when I walked over a rise in the granite and met a lone wolf coming up the other side towards me with its nose down following a scent. It was only about 40 feet away and didn't notice me. Krikey! I let out a whistle. The wolf looked up, saw me, turned and ran off.

TheStuntman

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

Once was enough, plus I don't have a good pair of snowshoes. But you never know, a couple of back to back warm days and I could be up for a short hike.
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2007 4:14 am    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

TheStuntman wrote:
Once was enough, plus I don't have a good pair of snowshoes. But you never know, a couple of back to back warm days and I could be up for a short hike.
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

Thanks to Cache Effect the event is published.

Oldson

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

I've been watching this one with interest...got to admit I'm envious of the group that is going, and would love to be a participant but that's not possible.  Looking forward to reading about the adventure.  Good Luck to all!

Oldson

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

Thanks Oldson,

Just a note that a link to a detailed map of the proposed route is now posted on the event page and there is also a link to potential Friday night accomodation. If nothing else they have a nice website and interesting weekend supper specials.

Cheers, Dragonfreys

MuStash

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

Excellent job on the mapping Dragonfreys. Thanks.
candaceandwill

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

Re: Equipment

Things I thought to bring others might over look
-First Aid Kit
-TP

I dont have ice self rescue spikes...any suggestions?

Jimbo 2

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

candaceandwill wrote:

Things I thought to bring others might over look
-First Aid Kit
-TP

In lieu of the spikes, a length of floating nylon rope, like they sell in the boat safety kits. Whomever hasn't fallen through the ice could throw the end of the rope to the person(s) in the water.
I would assume everyone will be walking together, so some of the supplies could be "pooled".
I'm not sure if I'm going yet, otherwise I'd volunteer to bring the rope and candles.
I do not own a pair of the self-rescue spikes either.

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Rescue spikes Reply with quote

candaceandwill wrote:

I picked up a pair at

candaceandwill

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

CTC also has this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%
3Efolder_id=1408474396672364&bmUID=1170276240898&PRODUCT%3C%
3Eprd_id=845524441902551&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true
  I found them when I went back to grab the Ice Safety Kit. 

I wouldn't recommend the metal whistle included in the other one - remember The Christmas Story movie :P

So it looks like I'll be leading any water crossings...I'm likely the heaviest.

-- Edited by candaceandwill at 16:39, 2007-01-31

junglehair

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Untouchable. Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by junglehair on Feb 27, 2007 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
The-Stuntman

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: follow up Reply with quote

I thought you guys wanted and adventure?

No contingency plan like spending the night in the bush?? The weather got colder on the bent elbow exp. Maybe a big tarp and a camp fire should have been on the agenda, I'm sure burchill, M.I. or myself would have made it. Of course I have perfect 20/20 hindsight. Shocked

Since the first attempt fell short due to lets say the weather Boo hoo! , The big QUESTION now is, When will you be going back? Arrow

I'm only bustin' your chops cause I want my name to be the sole entry in the log. Good luck in the future.

p.s. I hear theres a good cache hike out on the Mantario that makes untouchable feel like a picnic.
MuStash

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: