Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing Ammo Cans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Missing Ammo Cans Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've just recently started hearing anecdotal stories of ammo cans going missing around the province. While missing caches aren’t anything new, the red flags are that they are going missing after newer cachers have visited them. I’m hopeful that this is pure coincidence and they have been truly muggled and not taken by a thief posing as a cacher. (Or a newbie who doesn’t yet know better as we've seen with some interesting cache logs recently.)

I would like to try and track (through this forum) and see if there is any common links between the missing caches.
Please post the following information
- cache and location of your missing ammo can
- the date of the most recent find
- The caching names of the last 2-3 finders (obviously this list is going to include experienced cachers, but we’re looking for new and unfamiliar names that might show a common thread.)
- Any other information that might prove helpful.

As I said, hopefully this turns out to be pure coincidence and leads nowhere but I would like to do the due diligence to be sure.

GI

Stonagal

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a pocket query of disabled, regular-sized caches and found 5 that may meet the criteria:

1. The Staff Station (GC32WC6). Birds Hill Provincial Park.
- September 6, 2014 by MushyMedic. Jesmar and SALTK44 before.

2. Harris Park cache (GC2H06X). Winnipeg (St. Vital).
- May 1, 2014 by beancakes. J&R_2003 and IMZathras before.

3. Life's a beach! (GC266E9). Hillside Beach.
- July 5, 2014 by villagehunters. Jerismoo and brian-i before.
- Had previously been lost and found in May.

4. Trolling For Treasure (GC1HTNP). La Salle.
- January 4, 2014 by outdoorfun69. Curious, as it comes between DNFs and cache is not winter friendly. Gabbi0220 and FraggleCachers before.

5. Point of a Union (GC34DDP). Between Morris and Ste. Agathe.
- October 2, 2014 by karma reprint. Ammo can reported missing. Moose623 and Old Guys 21 before.
MHz

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had one go missing but I'm blaming the Hwy construction muggles but it could have been a cacher but I like to think not.

http://coord.info/GC34DDP - Point of a Union

Last cachers to find before it was reported missing and confirmed by me was
Moose623 on Aug 31. I really don't think they took it.

- The caching names of the last 2-3 finders (obviously this list is going to include experienced cachers, but we’re looking for new and unfamiliar names that might show a common thread.)

Moose623 mentioned seeing the ammo can so I know it was there then. Next log on Oct2nd said it was gone and it was.

I drive past every day on my commute to work and I know a pile of the Hwy guys parked by the cache as they were laying concrete and I meant to check it earlier. I do blame myself for not disabling it and grabbing it sooner.

In the past I've lost 2 ammo cans to muggles and saved 2 from bulldozers. They do go missing. It's a fact of caching and of where it's hidden. I've got many that have never gone missing.

dani_carriere

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacques the Monkey is gone and archived. Which makes Dani a sad monkey, I loved that cache.

Please post the following information

Jacques the Monkey! (GC20YQ6) - N 49° 52.397 W 097° 14.906 - Assiniboine Park

June 24, 2014

littleshrimp - 11 finds - DNF'd on August 2nd 2014
aaronhannem - 2 finds - DNF'd on June 27th 2014 (annoying log of just the word "Monkey" ... I loathe to mention it as I was lambasted on facebook for complaining about it.)
dan098098 - 4 finds - FOUND on June 24th 2014
P.A.C.K. - 702 finds - Found June 22, 2014
rachipooh - 5 finds - Found June 12th, 2014
jlallan - 30 finds - Found June 12th
etc
etc

surprising number of low cache count people (see the other logs at gc.com) ... seeing it's now October and many still have less than 10 finds. Yet, not on the same date. I was thinking maybe a school outing, but who knows.

Moose623

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHz wrote:

Nope. We surely did not remove it, just as MHz noted. I know no one is pointing fingers, but I just wanted to put that out there as we are still fairly new to MBGA, in the relative scheme of things, and folks probably don't know us too well.

... bah - so sorry about the double post. I hit submit and it gave me an error so I thought I had to redo it.

Last edited by Moose623 on Oct 08, 2014 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moose623

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHz wrote:

Nope. We surely did not remove it, just as MHz noted. I know no one is pointing fingers, but I just wanted to put that out there as we are still fairly new to MBGA, in the relative scheme of things, and folks probably don't know us too well.

I distinctly remember this cache. We had picked it up on our way back from a circuitous road trip to Killarney. It was a very large ammo can, hanging in a tree.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... eyes Moose suspiciously...

(Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL)
Very Happy Very Happy

Moose623

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - Ice, you kill me! I want to use that moose for our new avatar! He's awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: