Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBGA Elections
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Will and Sean for your words of encouragement.

We have a past-prez position in place, so I am still involved with the committee.

Tim and Sandra have my full support in their new positions and I do congratulate them.

I was taken aback by the "hurrah" comment, that's all.

The one thing that I have found about our association is that we are one large family and everyone is supportive of each other, and I would hope that this will continue in the future.

grnbrg

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candaceandwill wrote:
I sense some tension as to the election results. I suspect the voting may have been to some extent a popularity contest that saw votes go to the candidates with higher name recognition.

For my part, I've got no issues with how the votes totaled up. Any comments that I've made that have seemed bitter or unhappy have been purely in jest.

Now, I'll just be over in the corner crying until Junglehair resigns.

grnbrg.

Wagonmaker

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought it's mostly a title anyways. The way I understand it, not having an official title on the committee doesn't mean you can't participate. I figure, the four people involved in the election will all continue doing what they do and helping out with everything, as well all do (in our own ways and to our own extents).

Like dani said, we all work together to make geocaching what it is, so it really matters only a tiny bit WHO is actually the president/vice-president. We're all friends here! No need to let this get in the way of anything.

I'll be honest, I voted for Tim and Sandra simply to give someone else the chance to fill those positions, and to rotate it around a bit. Nothing at all against Dani or Brian, they each did an excellent job!

er.... I mean to say... Gah! I couldn't WAIT for Dani to get OUT of the president's office! She was just AWFUL! BLECH!! Why wasn't this election sooner? It's bad enough I have to deal with her at FAMILY functions....!

Laughing

just my two cents! hahah! (Don't you just love me, dani?!)
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dani_carriere wrote:
Thanks Will and Sean for your words of encouragement.

We have a past-prez position in place, so I am still involved with the committee.

Tim and Sandra have my full support in their new positions and I do congratulate them.

I was taken aback by the "hurrah" comment, that's all.

The one thing that I have found about our association is that we are one large family and everyone is supportive of each other, and I would hope that this will continue in the future.

Well, if it counts for anything, my vote for Prez actually DID go to you Razz

It was your introducing me to everyone at the gathering that did it Very Happy. But looks like I was outvoted.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kabuthunk ... appreciate it!

I'm a little under the weather today with the flu, so I'm a little sensitive.

I appreciate all the feedback.

The association will flourish with the participation of the great membership that we have..

Georgia

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did vote, but as a newbie, I don't know what makes a good geocaching president and vice, so it was kind of a heads or tails thing for me. I have only met the 4 contenders once (at Groundhog Day) - actually I don't even think I met Brian that night.
Y'all seem like nice folks who are "working for the cause" so I am sure that the association couldn't go wrong with whoever made it in.
I plan to be a little more involved in the future, although my busy time at work is about to begin Crying or Very sad The land surveying industry seems to pick up alot in the summer time - go figure.
Congrats to Tim and Sandra, and I am sure they will appreciate the help of others, as they enter the new term.

TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Presidents Message Reply with quote

Membership decided at the MBGA Inaugural Meeting - March 6, 2005 that an elected president and voting members would be the basis of the MBGA structure. As such, once a year positions on the committee are opened up to nominations for members that would like to participate on the committee. Competition for elected positions is in no way a statement about the incumbent - it’s good election process and presents the voters (members) with a choice.

The committee is comprised of active catchers who made the decision they wanted to contribute more to GeoCaching in Manitoba by volunteering their time and effort on council. There are no perks, there is no compensation - committee members are there because they choose to be. For myself, I wanted to contribute more and thought I would have something to offer in the role of President.

The committee members work together very effectively and have done an outstanding job of promoting, and providing services and products to support GeoCaching in Manitoba. The president is but one voice on council and carries one vote like any other council member. I view the president’s primary role is to chair council meetings, facilitate open dialogue and help ensure committee members have what they need to complete their tasks. Also, as with all council members, to take on tasks and assist other members as required. This was the basis of my published platform.

As Manitoba Geocachers, we are lucky to have a solid association and such active participation by members as evidenced by the large event turnouts, member attendance at MBGA meetings and in a myriad of other ways. The passion coming out in this forum discussion shows just how much people care about the activity of GeoCaching. I would encourage members to continue to post their ideas to the forum or contact one of the council members directly.

There is a Past President role on the committee with “with the responsibility of continuing to contribute to the goals and direction of the organization” that Dani will now be filling. At 40% of the votes, the past president had strong support but in the end a new president was elected.

Grnbrg has also agreed that he will stay on the committee as a “Member at Large” and continue to do what he does so well - product creation and merchandising. The invitation for runners up to stay on council was agreed upon at the MBGA Committee Meeting - February 21, 2007.

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank two committee members who stepped down after completing their one year term. Lizardo and The Stuntman did and outstanding job creating an education package, providing many valuable training sessions and responding to countless requests for information. Lizardo and The Stuntman volunteered many, many hours of their time and leave behind a legacy. As Lizardo and The Stuntman tabled for discussion, and was agreed upon at the MBGA Committee Meeting - February 21, 2007, combining the role of PR and Training was a logical choice. Dragonfreys, Bevro and OHMIC have stepped up to take on the task.

I’d also like to welcome Junglehair who brings a wealth of experience as Vice President, and the new MBGA Secretary, MHz, who has attended virtually every MBGA meeting and brings new ideas and objectivity to the council.

Finally I’d like to thank 3T’s&aG, ertyu and Peter and Gloria for continuing to participate on council. They each contributed greatly over the last year(s), to their respective rolls of Event Coordinator, Technical Coordinator and Treasurer.

I’ve said it privately, and I’ll say it publicly, “I can't think of a group of people I'd rather work with - I'm looking forward to the next year!”

TurdleEggs (Tim)
ChargerDad

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Executive completely overhauled every year in theory? If so, why not have two-year terms and stagger the elections -- so that you only have elections for half the positions every year? This provides for a little more continuity.....
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the committee positions are currently one year terms, so yes there is the potential to “overhaul” the entire committee every year. In practice, this would be an unusual occurrence. For continuity there is a Past President role. Your suggestion of a two year term is a good one, and I expect the council will be reviewing the election process as well as defined member roles at some point this year.
dani_carriere

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had brought up the idea of a 2 year term in the December or January meeting (to start after this year's election), however it was not passed by the committee. Probably because that's a long commitment for someone on a volunteer committee. Doesn't mean we can't try asking again.
ohmic

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...it was not passed by the committee. Probably because that's a long commitment for someone on a volunteer committee.

Two years may be good for continuity but one year may be enough for some as schedules change, people move, families grow, and so on and commitment may become more of a challenge.
I joined the executive hoping that my contacts and experience may add to this organizatin but I'm also involved in many other organizations and if I see that my position becomes too demanding (I'm, glad there's three of us for the position of Public Relation and Training), I may find that one year term is enough. It also gives a chance for other members to become more involved with the organization.
For continuity, we could also create a new position of "President Elect" who would be president at the next election. That way, we would have a great transition with a president, a past president and a president elect.
Just a thought.
1Queenand4Jokers

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: THANKS AND CONGRATS Reply with quote

We appreciate ALL who have served and continue to serve on the MBGA. It is a huge commitment and it is great that we have so many with organizational skills. We will continue to support you who promote caching in our great province.
TurdleEggs

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Thanks Jen! Reply with quote

My apologies; In recognizing the efforts of council members who stepped down this last election, I managed to leave Jen off the list.

Thanks Jen for doing such a great job as sectary for the past year! Good luck in your new endeavors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: