Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Lizards Smell Tougher Than Others

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Some Lizards Smell Tougher Than Others Reply with quote

From here: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070221-lizards-smell.html

Some people may be able to smell a good fight. But some male lizards can smell a bad one too, giving the animals clues as to whether to stand their ground or turn tail, a new study suggests.

Thought this might provide insight into lizard behaviour. Wink
lizardo

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Where to begin? Reply with quote

It would seem that adding some cholesterol scent to my daily preening regimen may make me smell tougher to others...well...other lizards anyhow.
And where was that cholesterol secreted? Oh yes, the thighs. Alllll-right. So rubbing some butter, eggs, and perhaps a jambuster or two on my thighs will make me smell tougher to other lizards and increase my chances of finding a suitable mate.
Truly, it has been a while since I courted for a mate, but none of these methods seem familiar to me. And as for intimidating other males...hard to say. But I am fairly certain that should I come across a foe covered in Bacon, Eggs,and pastry, I would likely turn tail. Less because of the cholesterol smell, and more to do with the fact that if that guy is crazy enough to do that, he can have the chick. If she'll have him..

Thanks for the laugh...

FoodNinja

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm jam buster...
Tannasaurus

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Where to begin? Reply with quote

lizardo wrote:

So rubbing some butter, eggs, and perhaps a jambuster or two on my thighs will make me smell tougher to other lizards and increase my chances of finding a suitable mate.

I really prefer the smell of chocolate. But breakfast sounds okay, hon.

(P.S. You had me at "rubbing", but that's another story, for another time.)
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Lizards stop blending in to bag a mate Reply with quote

There sure seems to be a lot of current research on lizards lately:

http://environment.newscientist.com/article/dn11232-lizards-stop-blending-in-to-bag-a-mate.html

I found the video to be especially amusing for some reason.
lizardo

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just vain enough to consider that this thread was set up to mock me. That's OK. I'm fine with that. I dish it out on occasion myself, right Tobey?

But as a minor note of...I'll call it vindication...did anyone see the front page of the Free Press on Saturday? It's there in black and white: ..."have you hugged a lizard today?" I'm not kidding. Apparently it's front page news!

And here comes the reminder signature...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Off-Topic Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: