Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dangerous Wildlife in Assiniboine Forest?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tromelin

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Dangerous Wildlife in Assiniboine Forest? Reply with quote

Going to check my cache in the forest, I came across some deer legs. I was wondering if it was known there were hunting animals in the city forest. I didn`t find anything mentioning their existence, they mention the deer and non dangerous critters that I often see run away.

Whiteshell clearly states they have bears and wolves but I would think they have a lot more room to be hidden than in the city.

Now, I came across bears and a coyote before and all were happy to leave me alone (much to my relief, and not in Manitoba). That was during the day, I wouldn't want to cross them at night, should caches in the forest be disabled at night and/or day ?

Should I contact someone? Has Gnorman gone gnuts or really hungry?
ChargerDad

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE, HEED THIS WARNING AND APPROACH ASSINIBOINE FOREST WITH CAUTION!

The Manitoba Panther is no doubt one of the more endangered mammals of Canada and the world. The Cree have great respect for this "coo-wah-chobee" or big cat. This creature needs us all to show that same respect or else it will disappear forever in the wild.

Description:

*The Manitoba Panther (scientific name is Puma concolor coryi) is tan in color and the underbelly and muzzle is white. It is a subspecies of the cougar family. Adult male panthers can weigh up to 150 pounds and can be up to 7 feet long. The females are smaller in weight and length.

Habitat:

*Manitoba Panthers, endangered, are on the brink of extinction. Once they were plentiful in the Manitoba wild, but now there are only between 30 to 50 living in remote urban forests in Manitoba south of Lake Winnipeg. It is Manitoba's unofficial provincial mascot and are under the protection of provincial and federal laws. They are predators and hunt other mammals like deer and wild dogs. They also eat other animals like raccoons and have even been known to attack humans. They are solitary and can have a range of 275 square kilometres. Females give birth to average litters of 2-3 kittens. The kittens are born in dens of dense vegetation.

Danger:

*It is the continued loss of habitat that is the main danger for the Manitoba Panther. Other dangers include being hit by cars on highways and also mercury poisoning. The mercury is thought to come from contaminated raccoons that the panthers feed on.

Again, PLEASE exercise extreme caution.....
lizardo

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come across a few carcasses or parts of them in the Assiniboine forest. More than often they are close to either Grant (Roblin) or Shaftesbury. I figure they may be unfortunate enough to be struck by a car and then make it a ways into the bush and then succumb to their injuries.
I haven't seen any evidence of the Manitoba Panther, but I haven't seen Saskquatch either, doesn't mean he's not in there.

Tromelin

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose when hit by a car any number of small critters could have a meal.

I emailed a photo and concerns to the Winnipeg Naturalist Services, I`ll inform you on what they say about it.
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Dead deer Reply with quote

Some other options to consider:

Deer succuming to winter kill, low energy cycle, hypothermia (cold wet)
    Coyotes taking advantage of deer in weak condition
    Coyotes hunting in packs
    Dog(s) in the country are pretty adept at taking deer as well

That being said Manitoba panther or cougars are not unheard of as we had two killed in our area last year.
Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually seen a lynx a number of years back out by Landmark where I grew up. Took down a few cattle here and there, and after a few weeks, we never saw or heard anything regarding it again. Musta taken back off to whereever it wandered in from.
Tromelin

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Winnipeg Naturalist Services: It is difficult to tell from the photo but I can assure you that to the best of my knowledge, there are no large deer predators in the Assiniboine Forest. It was likely as speculated, a car collision.

Looks like Lizardo was right. Some critter decided to have a meal of roadkill deer legs.

So, no special precautions when in the Assiniboine Forest, just be careful if your driving near it.

Strangely enough, I think I would have been less worried if I had seen the whole thing rather than just the legs.
ChargerDad

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the date of my post..... Then take a deep breath and relax!
Georgia

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heehee C-Dad - you got them! Laughing
I have been following this thread with interest... you had me going too!
GG

Tromelin

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to specify, my post wasn`t an April Fools (just a coincidence). I came to the realisation that ChargerDad`s was on the way to get the photos a good hour later(something about there only being the Pinawa Panthers hockey team on my search on the internet and the date finally hit me). I then figured I should really get photos for anybody to believe me (something did chew on those deer legs after all).

I was about to mention it today, but another quick search with cougar got me cougars in Riding Mountain and Duck Park. So I thought maybe he meant those.
netleyhunter

PostPosted: May 04, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no real dangerous animals that you should be concerned with in the city, or outside for that matter. Even in the Whiteshell where there are a few bears. They will leave you alone unless cornered or you are between them and their young.

Just make some noise when walking and you should be fine. Grew up in the whiteshell and never had a problem. Wolves are of no concern, most wolves stay well away from humans. Chances of running into a pack while out walking are very slim.

What you found was probably winter kill or a deer that was hit by a car and stumbled off to die. There is no big game hunting inside the city limits. There is goose hunting though. That is in the RM of Roblin and around Fort White Centre
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: May 16, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tromelin wrote:
I was about to mention it today, but another quick search with cougar got me cougars in Riding Mountain and Duck Park. So I thought maybe he meant those.

Speaking of which here's a cache dedicated to those felines in our area that we've been trying to see for over a decade.

Cougar Cache Splash
Lagavulin

PostPosted: May 17, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are regular cougar sightings right downtown at
4953'3.21"N 9710'50.45"W
be afraid... be very afraid. Shocked
ChargerDad

PostPosted: May 17, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some hunting tips.....

http://tyrashow.warnerbros.com/tips/cougar_hunting101.html
Lagavulin

PostPosted: May 17, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... an older woman, typically early thirties to mid-forties ..."

i guess that makes me an older man.

Those are instructions for Cougars Hunting, not Hunting Cougars.

haha - fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: