Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caching Burnout

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How would you rate your caching intensity?
I eat, sleep and live caching to detriment of all other things.
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
I plan to cache hard then move on to something else
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I like to cache in spurts when it suits me
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
I have integrated caching into my lifestyle and plan to cache a long time
54%
 54%  [ 17 ]
I cache when the mood strikes in light doses
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 31

Dragonfreys

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Caching Burnout Reply with quote

Seems that the ebb and flow of individual interest in caching occurs across the activity/sport/hobby/pastime in different areas.

Here's the latest example:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=161659

Should we caution new cachers to temper their passion so they can integrate caching into their lives without disrupting them to the point of needing repair or reprieve? Pace yourselves people. It's not a race unless that's what you want it to be.

I'm curious about people's longer term objectives with caching. Here's a poll.
junglehair

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have integrated caching into my lifestyle and plan to cache a long time"

I can understand the burnout aspect, and was pretty close to that point before I moved back to Manitoba. I think GeoWoodstock III was what did me in. I made the pilgrimage to Jacksonville, FL with several other cachers from New York, including the top cacher in the state (he has over 8000 finds now). If I ever thought I was addicted to this game, I've got nothing on him. He was mad that we "wasted" so much time at the GeoWoodstock event itself when we could have been caching. He also got annoyed at us when we stopped for sit down meals during the trip from New York to Florida. After all, eating is taking away from valuable caching time. This really can be an addiction. He would certainly fall into the category "eat, sleep and live caching to detriment of all other things".

That being said, I think my move back to Manitoba has rejuvenated my interest in the game. Lots of great caches, clever puzzles, and terrific people - what more could you ask for.
Shinook and White Juan

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of where we live, caching is a challenge as there are no caches nearby and we usually have t travel 100's of kms to find any, and the ones that are close by, you need a float plane to get to, and we can't justify that cost just to find a cache. We cache mostly during vacation and the occasional weekend that we are able to do so. We both love caching and have intergrated it into our lifestyle and plan to cache as long as we can. This is the one hobby that we both enjoy doing together and is a great way to visit new places and see hidden gems that we would never had visited otherwise.
MHz

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have integrated caching into my lifestyle and plan to cache a long time"

That's me. I've even made sure I've budgeted for extra gas (price keeps going up) and truck TB maintenace! Smile I cache in spurts too as I'm running out of caches to find nearby. But I really like the social aspect of caching and will quite often go back to a cache I've already found with other cachers just so I can get outside!

My cache hides are few and far between as I like to make sure I can maintain yet another one before diving in!

Now if I can only stop buying geocoins....

ohmic

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit it, right now I eat, sleep and live caching. However, I'm sure that over time as my closest caches are becoming further and further away I'll either settle into integrating caching into my lifetsyle or just move to anothe city (like junglehair!). Very Happy Gotta keep my 100/month average! Razz
burchil

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I have integrated caching into my lifestyle and plan to cache a long time - my family might think different. Right now caches are a way to see different places and explore. It has provided some of the best tours of places I have visited. Caching also gives me an end point to head for when out for a ride - no longer do I just have to ride to some town or mark on the road.
Georgia

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cache in spurts, I guess. Trying to get a block of time to go caching can sometimes be difficult with a job, 3 kids and aging parents that need your time and help.
I tend to be very keen about something at the beginning and then taper off in time, but still continue with it at a more leisurely pace. I started caching in the winter and was very keen, but of course, there were many caches that weren't winter-friendly and that was a bit frustrating.
I have other interests too Surprised and one of them is gardening. So I will be dividing my time up more.
My dog always needs a walk, so it is an excuse to incorporate a cache hunt into the walk. I like to spend time in the Kenora area in the summer so I am glad to see lots of caches out there that I can take advantage of.
Interesting poll, anyways!

Kabuthunk

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option D all the way. Geocaching is well integrated in my day-to-day life now, and I don't forsee myself stopping anytime in the near future :}
JayPeg

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw a posting at one of my caches by the cacher Clue Seeker. http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=3aff5501-6e3b-4fc2-a0b9-611b945be2cf
He will probably hit 2000 caches in 1 year visiting all 50 states and several provinces. He must have some unlimited resources to do that much traveling in 1 year. Me thinks the word I'm looking for is .....OBSESSED!!

Wow!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: