Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Call for Nominations for the MBGA Board of Directors, 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Call for Nominations for the MBGA Board of Directors, 2013 Reply with quote

Nominations are requested for MBGA director’s positions to be elected at the Annual General Meeting on April 13, 2013.

The board of directors will serve to manage the affairs of the MBGA for a one year term following the election. If you, or someone you know, would like to volunteer please e-mail nomination@mbgeocaching.ca with the name and contact information of the nominee. Permission must be obtained before nominating another person. Nominees should submit a statement of their qualifications before the AGM.

Nominations are accepted for any Manitoba resident, 18 years or older, who is an eligible voting member of the MBGA for at least thirty (30) days prior to the election. Nominations are open until midnight, March 31, 2012.

For further details on the election and operation of the MBGA please refer to the Election Policy and Bylaws. Reviewing past meeting minutes of the MBGA committee will also give you an idea of what to expect.

Nominees are running for a director position on the board. Once the group of directors has been elected, the board will elect officer positions.

As per the MBGA Election Policy, if there are insufficient nominees to fill the Board positions, a call for nominees from the floor shall occur
at the AGM

---

(As well, if you feel that you would be excited to volunteer your time and energy, by all means, ask someone to nominate you.)

AngelFreak

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to email a nomination to that addy and it came back with a delivery notification failure?
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

testing.
SiaFhir

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email from Ken today to that address--it works.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested volunteers are welcome to join us at our March 19th meeting to see what being a board member is all about. Kind of like dipping your toes in the water to see if its too hot, too cold or just right.

Please let us know if you are planning to attend so we can make arrangements for extra chairs.

We'll be at Charlee's Restaurant & Lounge, 185 Stadacona St, Winnipeg, MB

--

Also for Geocachers in Westman and Northman that are interested in representing your region on our board, we'd love to have you. We have some great groups of people in Brandon, Dauphin, Flin Flon and Thompson.

Skype or Teamviewer to video conference into the meeting are options.

roddandtoddflanders

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryan would like to go to the meeting on the 19th.
SiaFhir

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: nomination writeups Reply with quote

Here is the list of nominees to be on the board of the MBGA for 2013 (click on the name for their profile):

Rhonda (4elements5senses)

My name is Rhonda Plohman, aka 4elements5senses, and I would like to put my name on the ballot to serve on the MBGA board of directors for the 2013 -2014 term. I am a Human Resources and Management graduate from the University of Winnipeg, and also have diplomas in Child and Youth Care and Criminology. Over the years I have volunteered my services with a variety of organizations, ranging from The Child and Youth Care Association of Manitoba (Board Member), to the Winnipeg Police Service (District #3 service centre volunteer), to volunteering with The Winnipeg Fringe Festival. I have been Geocaching since 2005, however attended my first event just this last July. Since then, I have attended 25 events, and to date I am approaching 1500 finds. Geocaching has shown me some majestic and beautiful locations, taught me valuable history lessons and introduced me to some truly fantastic people. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Jo-Ann (AngelFreak)

Hello! I'm AngelFreak but you can also call me Jo-Ann. I completed some business administration courses in 2003-2004, and then took a break to raise my children. Since then I have been working in customer service, sales, and am currently in the health care field. However, my passion is planning events as I have always liked organizing different ones (such as birthday parties, game nights, and murder mystery parties) for my family and friends. I found out about geocaching in early 2010. After a few months my curiosity got the best of me so I tried it out and have been addicted since July 2010! I'm known for finding my first 507 caches without a gps or smartphone. I attended my first geocaching event in October 2011 and then my first MBGA board meeting the next month where I volunteered to investigate an event idea for the board. The first event I helped plan for the board was in February 2011. I became Interim Events Coordinator in March and have enjoyed being Event Coordinator ever since. Being in this position has helped inspire me to begin a career in this field. I would like to continue to provide my services to the board.

Eric (Erocks)

I've worked as an industrial sprayer for 11 years and in 2012 was appointed on the safety committee at my work. I also enjoy volunteering at the Festival Du Voayageur and the Winnipeg Comedy Festival. I have 18 years experience in scouting. I enjoy camping, fishing, boating, hiking, rock climbing, and pretty much anything outdoors. I started geocaching in 06/14/2011 and I'm close to 2000 finds. I became a member of the MBGA just before GeoVenture 2011, then started attending board meetings in January 2012 and helping at events when needed. I'm currently serving on the board as the membership and marketing director. I really like meeting and talking with new people and look forward to helping on the board in the near future.

Mike (Glacier_ice)

My name is Mike Neale, aka Glacier_ice. You may remember me from such Geocaches as 'Another Stupid Micro', 'Zach's Place' and 'Photo Edited'. I am currently serving my third term as MBGA President and my fourth year on the board of directors. There will be no vote bribery coming from me, so if you were looking for tips to solve Photo Edited in exchange for your vote, I am sorry, but you'll have to solve that one the old fashioned way. I will, however, continue to share stories, in my cache logs, about my three little Ice Cubes that sometimes go caching with me. I am willing to keep my name on the ballot for this year's election and continue to serve on the board of directors. I look forward to meeting the new geocachers who will be attending their first AGM this year. I also look forward to tasting all the meat and (ahem) vegetables, at the UFCII contest. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Stacy (GroovyPinkSocks - GPS)

I have been geo-caching since November of 2011. I have volunteered in many aspects of my childrens lives, Basketball coach ( 5 years ) Spark leader (2 years), Cub Leader/ popcorn convenor (5 years) Soccer convenor for Winakwa (3 years) Soccer coach (6 years) Parent council (2 years as treasurer, 3 years as Member at large) along with many other places and events.

In the last 16 months I have attended many events, and almost 900 finds, with the goal of finding 1000 this year. I have gotten to know a great number of other cachers, and always enjoy lending a hand. I look forward to being a part of the MBGA and making contributions to the community.

Kari (happymole)

Hello fellow cachers. I'm happymole AKA Kari. I discovered Geocaching back in 2010 after reading an article about it. I thought a GPS might make a good gift for my youngest (Gabalo aka Wyatt) for Christmas and that caching might be something we could do together. After more thinking, I decided that it would probably be a good idea to try it myself first. I bought that GPS as a gift to myself and dove in head first. I started searching for caches in my neighbourhood, and after a some confusing starts, made a few finds and was hooked. I loved the idea that this was something I could do myself in my spare time, would take me outdoors, show me new places and spaces and make me think in a new way about my surroundings. Gabalo soon joined me on some of my quests as did his friends. I was the cool mom who would stop the car off the highway and tell pre-teen boys to head under the bridge to look for treasure. Too much fun. I travel a fair bit and was thrilled to discover that I could play this new game elsewhere. Geoventure provided me with access to other cachers and their help and expertise with programs (GSAK etc), and with friends to go hunting with. To date, I am approaching 4000 finds and have added a new caching partner to my searches known as ARKAY950 aka Russ.

I have been part of the MBGA board for 2 years now, first as a member at large and this year as secretary and game planner for Geoventure.

My non-caching life finds me running my family toy store Toad Hall and raising my two boys and step daughter.

Ken (KLBLUE)

My name is Ken, the "K" in KLBLUE. Our family started geocaching in early 2010. We have also been a member of the MBGA since 2010. We have now hidden 50 geocaches and have over 4,000 finds. Last year was my first year on the MBGA board as a Director at Large. I have a university education and a Certificate in Applied Management. I am currently working on a Certificate in Management at the U of M. I am also employed by Manitoba Hydro as a lineman with over 22 years of service. I love being outdoors and geocaching all over our beautiful province. I have also geocached in various other provinces and the U.S and Mexico. I coach my boys in baseball and enjoy playing various outdoor sports. I thoroughly enjoyed being on the MBGA board this past year. They are a great group of people to work with. I am willing to help out in any capacity I can if I am fortunate enough to be elected to the board again.

Bryan (roddandtoddflanders)

I’m Bryan aka Todd Flanders aka Zombie by Bus. I’ve been caching since August 2011, when Danielle (Rodd Flanders) saw it in a documentary about Asperger’s and we tried it and got hooked immediately. I have just over 1700 finds now and co-created the Simpsons series of caches. I’ve volunteered for the Arts Student Body Council as a Marketing Representative, helping with event promotion. I spent a year as the Arts Student Resource Coordinator running the Arts Resource Center. I served 2 terms as the Students Living with Disabilities Representative with UMSU, advocating for students, setting up a disability audit of campus; and organizing, promoting and hosting a 2 day conference. I was awarded the UMSU Award for Student Involvement (Governance) for my work in this position. During this time I was also the Disability Commissionaire for Canadian Federation of Students. I attended 2 AGMs in Gatineau, which taught media skills, and helped create new relationships with political leaders.

Andrew (SiaFhir)

My name is SiaFhir, aka 'dat guy who looks like Matt Damon', or Andrew. I've been geocaching since September 2008 when I discovered the sport following the purchase of a Garmin Nuvi and wondering what else I can do with it. I got instantly hooked after my first find and have been enjoying every moment since then (even the frustrating ones that lead to a DNF!) I'm a computer software developer working for a consulting company, near the end of a contract with the City of Winnipeg, and I'm working on learning Android development on the side. I have proudly served on the MBGA board as the Vice President in the past two years, and I'm willing to continue to serve on the board in the 2013-2014 year. Thank you for your consideration.

Sean (S.T.D.K)

My name is Sean, better known as S from S.T.D.K. I was introduced to geocaching in October 2012 when I attended a great “InMotion” event D & K’s school hosted by Skoki; I have been hooked ever since.

One of the most interesting things about geocaching to me is all of the interesting places within the city that I didn’t know existed. I have lived in Winnipeg for 16 years now (originally from Ottawa) and I can’t believe how many places I have never been, places that are right down the street! I am really looking forward to seeing what other interesting places I can find this summer all throughout Manitoba, Ontario and wherever else caching takes me.

I should also mention that when I am not S.T.D.K I am an IT Project Manager for an Engineering Consulting firm. In the past I have volunteered as an event planner for SMD when they hosted the “24 Hour Relay”, participated in and organized fundraising teams, sat on corporate social committees and I have recently joined the board of directors for D & K’s daycare.

I truly enjoy geocaching and have met some great people in my short time. Even if I am not elected I would love to help wherever I can.

Josh (stonagal)

My name is Josh Bernier. I recently completed a degree in Political Studies from the University of Winnipeg. I have been geocaching since August 2012 and have been coming to MBGA events regularly since November. I like to hide geocaches that have an educational element to them, and search for geocaches whenever I have spare time. My most natural interests include geography and exploration, which makes geocaching a great fit for me. I attended my first MBGA board meeting in March and was nominated by two of the sitting Board Members. I look forward to getting to know the sport, the organization, and the membership better this year.

Sandy (swelbergen)

Teacher, procrastinator, fairweather geocacher. Loves footwear, scarves, and Chapstick, all essential for a successful geocaching jaunt, and has finally bought some awesome yellow wellies! Personally and unabashedly responsible for Skoki and icimondo, both of which are responsible for abating her fear of rain, spiders and tornadoes. Driven to teach school children all about sustainability, GPS, remote sensing, estimating, road safety, problem solving and responsible use of technology (i.e. GEOCACHING), just so she has an excuse to teach out-of-doors and escape from the classroom. "Um, yeah, we're on a field trip..."

Tony (ToonYogi)

My Name is Tony aka ToonYogi, I started caching in June 2012 and to date have 325 Smilies… I am a Graphics guy at a Sign Company and also the Safety coordinator… I come from a small town near the whiteshell and have been volunteering for a few years at the local Community Centre. In my spare time, when I'm not Caching, I'm usually Golfing or building/Repairing computers, Memory eXpress is my second home LOL… Even if I am not elected I will do what I can to help…

Kristina (TXNCHK)

My name is Kristina Graham (aka TXNCHK) and I am interested in continuing my service on the MBGA board for the 2013-2014 term. I served as the Treasurer for the past two years. For those of you who don't know, I moved to Winnipeg from Fort Worth, TX in 2004 to be with my now husband, Jurg (aka MonkeyMan), whom I married in 2006. I graduated with an MA in English from the University of Manitoba in the summer of 2008. While completing my degree, I served as Treasurer for the Association of Graduate English Students (pAGES) from the spring semester of 2005 through the fall semester of 2008. I also concurrently served as Social Convener (Event Planner) for pAGES during the 2007 and 2008 school years. I currently work in the Adoptions Department at the Winnipeg Humane Society as well as from home as a technical editor and writer. I have been Geocaching since October 2010 and have loved almost every find, I really can't even begin to pick a favorite one. If the cleverness of the hide doesn't resonate, then the beautiful scenery or the fantastic people I am with all contribute to make fun and lasting memories!

The Board shall consist of five to twelve Board Members.

As per the MBGA Election Policy, if there are insufficient nominees to fill the Board positions, a call for nominees from the floor shall occur at the AGM. We have fourteen, so there will be a vote for twelve members.

Update April 10... I added one more nominee, for a total of 14. I also reordered the list alphabetically by cacher name.
pkldbutterfly

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excited to hear who made the board this year. Unfortunately we weren't able to attend but sounded like fun.
glacier_ice

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In alphabetical order by Cachername, this is the 2013 Board of directors as nominated by those in attendance and those who submitted absentee ballots.

Thank you to everyone who allowed their names to stand for election.
--

Rhonda (4elements5senses)
Jo-Ann (AngelFreak)
Eric (Erocks)
Mike (Glacier_ice)
Stacy (GroovyPinkSocks - GPS)
Kari (happymole)
Ken (KLBLUE)
Andrew (SiaFhir)
Sean (S.T.D.K)
Josh (stonagal)
Sandy (swelbergen)
Kristina (TXNCHK)

--

Our first meeting of the new board will happen on Tuesday, April 30th, 7pm at Charlees on Stadacona. As always, MBGA members are welcome.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Manitoba Geocaching Association Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: