Manitoba Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileEdit Profile/Settings   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Caching Stories

View previous topic :: View next topic  
junglehair

PostPosted: May 20, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Interesting Caching Stories Reply with quote

I was out this afternoon scouting locations to place a new cache and decided to check out the little park off River Avenue that I've passed by many times. I think it's called Fort Rouge Park. Seems like a nice little park with play structures for kids, and picnic tables and benches scattered about.

First of all, I walked down to the river level to look for potential hiding spots in that area. This is almost a 3 tier park. There's the upper level with the play structures, then a middle level that is just a grass field, then the river level. There were a couple groups partying down on the middle level (remember this is the middle of the afternoon), so I decided that perhaps it would be better to stick to the upper level. I figured if I placed a cache here and warned people that it was not recommended for night caching, then it should be ok.

So here I am wandering around the upper level of this park and checking out some of the lilacs and other bushes for potential hiding spots, when I hear what sounds like a dropped case of beer nearby. I stand still hoping that who ever that was doesn't see me. Well, next thing I know, there are two native guys getting ready to sit at the picnic table right beside where I am standing.

The one guy asks me what I'm doing there in the bush. I replied "oh, just looking around". Then he asks if that's a radio in my hand. I'm thinking it's probably best to let him think that, than to tell him it's a $500 GPS unit, so I said "ya". Well, then he starts asking if I am some sort of security, or if I'm a cop, or what exactly I think I am doing hiding out in these bushes. I laugh it off and tell them not to worry, I'm just enjoying the lilacs in bloom.

So then they ask if I mind if they sit there and drink their beers. Sure, no problem - it's a free country (although I imagine that open liquor in the park is not legal). So they sit down and pop open their cans of Lucky beer. I tell them to have a nice day and try to go on my merry way. Well, not so fast - now they want to chat. They suggest that I sit with them at the picnic table because I'm making them nervous walking around (looking for my quickest exit). So I agree and sit down to chat with these guys.

The one guy introduces himself as Russell, but the other doesn't offer up his name. Russell mentions that freedom is the best thing in the world then tells me that he just got out after serving 6 years in the joint. That's apparently where he met his nameless buddy.

He asks me if I can imagine what it's like to be locked up for 6 years. I tell him I really can't. So he explains to me what it's like, and what you need to do to survive in there. He asks me if I've heard of the Manitoba Warriors. I told him I hadn't. He looked at me in disbelief and said "You've never heard of the f'n Warriors???" His buddy asks me if I just crawled out from under a rock in that bush (ha ha - sense of humour I see). So then I got a lesson on some of the gang activity in the city.

Apparently the one that didn't offer up his name is a captain of the Warriors with his own crew and everything. He showed me the tattoo on his back to prove it. Russell is just an associate (I think that was the term he used), but being friends with a Captain (even though he's not on his crew) means that people pretty much leave him alone. As far as I can gather, these two guys met in the joint and are now friends for life. There was certainly a lot of "I love you man" comments being exchanged between the two of them.

They asked me if I'd ever smoked crack, and I told them no. So then they asked me if I wanted to as he's reaching into his bag of tricks. I told him no thanks. He said "it makes your head f'n ring", so I asked "and that's a good thing??" Note: this is the 2nd time in a week that I've been offered drugs while geocaching.

Oh, and I also got to hear about their fun and exciting Friday night down on Main Street. They ran into some guy that owed the Captain money. It's all about the money you know, so he had to show him he meant business. The Captain grabbed the guy and apparently stabbed him 4 times in the back until Russell stepped in and told him to back off. Then he told the other guy to take off before he gets himself killed. Gee, what did I do Friday night? Sat around my apartment drinking margaritas with a couple of friends.

Well, my new friends finished their beers and had to go make a phone call. They told me that they respected me for sitting there and chatting with them. Especially being a white female and being alone - they were surprised I didn't run away in fear. Russell picked one of the lilac blooms off the bush nearby and handed it to me saying it was a gift from them.

Man, do I ever lead a sheltered life. Needless to say, I chose not to place a cache in this park.
Lagavulin

PostPosted: May 20, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - what an experience. i've had similar ones though not while caching. i spent 8 years living and working in Northern Manitoba (i was a teacher and consultant for Frontier School Divisionhttp://www.frontiersd.mb.ca/)
as a result, i can make a connection with pretty much anyone i encounter on the streets. usually goes something like this:

them: Hey buddy, got some change?
me: awass meetskan (Cree for "get your sh**ty a*s away from me")
them: eeehhh, my brother, you speak my language
and the conversation continues as we talk ebouat his brother in pikwitonei that i know, and how the new store there is good but prices are too high...
then i give him money.

or, more frequently:

me: have you always lived in Wininpeg?
them: no, some little place, you won't know it
me: try me
them: it's near swan river
me: what, duck bay? barrows junc...
them: you've heard of barrows junction?
me: of course, been there many times
them: eeehhh, my brother, you must know...

but, like junglehair, i've found that people just want to tell their story, want a little respect, and want to feel like they belong somewhere... having been where they've been allows me to do that, and have some amazing conversations at the same time. (i've never been in jail, but i have some former students that have been!)
Lagavulin

PostPosted: May 20, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: being "approached" Reply with quote

What makes me nervous when I'm caching, and it's happened twice, is when I find myself iin what must be gay cruising spots. I mean it's nice to know that both sexes find me attractive (haha) but please, we've just met!
Péninsule. Belvédère Urbain and Emmer's Cache

Last edited by Lagavulin on May 20, 2007 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
junglehair

PostPosted: May 20, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny that you mention that because I was just wondering if there were gay cruising areas in Winnipeg (hmm, that doesn't sound right). That was actually quite common in New York and any park after dark (and sometimes before dark too) seemed to be a hot bed for that sort of activity. I had a couple geocaching friends there that were a gay couple and they filled me in on a lot of the terminology. For example, a gay cruising area is called a pickle park. I'm sure you wanted to know that, right? I had an interesting experience once caching alone, at night, in Rochester. OF course, being female, they weren't too interested in me. But the tricky part was, it appears that they used flashlights to signal their locations. Now how exactly are you supposed to find a geocache in the dark without using a flashlight???
slippery_1

PostPosted: May 20, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still experience the same mind set here and I still work in the north. I get the attitude when recognized from work, then I get the hows it going, and the odd...a'tim machisk.
The odd are though if iam even in the city and want to see someone from home just go down to Portage place and wait for 5 minutes...someone from home will walk by. This even happens in polo park.
But the can ya spare some change for a cup of coffee now results in me going, "Have you eatten today? No, well come on we'll go in and I'll buy you a burger and a cup of coffee."
Man you would think I had hit the lottery now with all these old commerads I knew from my real job...
Cache and Cary

PostPosted: May 21, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Interesting Caching Stories Reply with quote

I was out late on a Sunday afternoon, going from finding the devious "The Bus Stops Here" cache to the humourous "CSI: Winnipeg" cache when I noticed a bright flash in my rearview mirror. I wasn't at an intersection and the only thing that I had passed that was suspicious was a plain grey car.

It couldn't be! Could it? Have I been nailed, FOR THE FIRST TIME for speeding?! It's Sunday evening for heck's sakes! And this is right before Grant changes to a more resonable 60KM (from the turtle crawl of 50KM).

Well, caching would have to wait, I fumed. I circled around to go back and take a look and sure enough there was something funny about this grey sedan. There was something stuck to it's bumper. So, I pulled into an alley and parked in an empty parking lot and walked back to the grey car to get a better look at the, and decide to take my trusty old digital camera with me.

Sure enough, I walk back to the urban camoed car and see something like "Photo Traffic Unit" on the passenger side of the car. I am not happy with this, so I stand in front of the car and make a VERY obvious statement of taking a picture OF HIM (an probably got in the way of his taking a picture of a speeder - was not thinking straight at this point). Then, I walked behind the vehicle and took another picture, in a very obvious manner, of the back of the car (complete with licence plate - I will have to post these somewhere).

I was still fuming and this person had not said boo or even rolled down the window - probably is sick and tired of being verbally abused. So, I walked back over to the passenger side of the car and the person (NOT A POLICE OFFICER - obviously someone who makes a living solely off of speeders), and leaned over the hood and waved saying "HELLO! I am going to go get a piece of cardboard and stand back there", pointing at the road behind the vehicle.

Well, I stormed back to my vehicle and drove a little ways down the alley when I noticed a bright green "cardboard only" Dumpster. How marvelous! I jumped out and lifted the lid and found a white cardboard box, easily within reach - wow that was lucky. So I get back into the vehicle and grab my trusty felt pen from my geocaching gear and write on the card board: "Slow Down SPEED TRAP Parked grey car" making sure that "SPEED TRAP" was the most visible. Freedom of speech is a WONDERFUL thing.

Then I drove a bit to park on a street "upstream" from the speed trap and got out and walked out to where I was a block and a half before where the grey car was. I unfurled my sign and stood right at the curb and shook it at the oncoming cars to get their attention - especially if a car was going fast.

It was cold and raining, and I did not even have a hat on, but I was darned if I was going to turn tail and leave. So I stood there in the drizzle and defiantly display my makeshift cardboard sign and LAUGHED as I saw cars put on their brakes RIGHT BEFORE the unmarked grey car. I even saw the individual get out of the grey car and stand and look at me for awhile. Well, my efforts were not unappreciated. I had people happily honking and giving me the "thumbs up" signing (I think I could even make out a few smiles). Even a few did a U turn and came back and rolled down their windows to shout encouragement and wave. Even one woman paused to ask why I was doing this, to which I replied "He caught me, and I am making sure he does not get anybody else." That seemed to satisfy her and she drove off.

BUT, THE BEST RESPONSE I GOT was when a young man in a sports car came back and stopped in front of me, rolled down his window, and said "Your f***ing great! I am going to go park in front of him". I laughend and said "Great!" Then it dawned on me "WHY THE HECK DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT?!" Instead of standing out in the rain and getting cold and wet and making a spectacle of myself.

So this wonderful person parks in front of the photo radar car in such a way that it is impossible for him to photograph anymore cars. Great! If the grey car can park their, then ANYONE can park in front of him. I laughed even harder and wondered if this would FINALLY convince the person in the grey car to call it a night - because I had been standing out there for over an hour. Five or ten minutes later, I turned back to see the grey car had indeed started moving away, AND WAS TURNING BACK MY WAY.

Since my services were no longer needed I folded up my sign, disposed of it in a proper trash receptacle and proceeded to take the long way back to my vehicle in a leisurely and cheeful fashion. The sun was out, and the rain had stopped and I couldn't help feeling proud of myself. When, along comes the grey car who was obviously searching for me.

NOW he stops to talk to me. Now that I have thwarted his plans, he decides to talk to me, in a secluded alley.

My apprehension was for naught, because he starts off with saying "I want to thank you for slowing down all those cars. Because, that's what I am out here to do, is slow down speeding cars." I thought to myself, "Yeah right!!! You're here to make money off of people in such a way that they do not know that they did something illegal until they get a notice in the mail days later! " But I did NOT say this out loud.

I was not about ruin my good mood so I decide to play his game a gave him A BIG SMILE and LAUGHED. I cannot recall word for word what he said next except that he was "Happy" with my performance. Since he was shovelling it out so heavy, I kept playing along and said "Well, I am happy that you are happy (huge smile on my face). And, I made a lot of friends today" (implying that people liked me a LOT more then they liked him).

He gave another, unsuccessful, parting shot and drove away and I continued on back to my vehicle. I too, decided to call it a night and get some supper.

So, I lived up to my motto: "Don't get mad... GET EVEN!" and made a lot of people happy doing it. I also didn't get violent or abusive and have a great story and very good laugh. It will cost me a few bucks, but I HAD FUN!

The moral of this story is: "Drive carefully and obey the speed limit when you are out geocachine - it is NOT a race (I will not mention names here). And watch out for plain grey cars parked along the road. And if you do happen to see a photo radar car, out on your travels, consider taking a little stop RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM. You can check your gpsr and your notes. Perhaps make a phone call, have a nap, listen to some music. It's a free country."
slippery_1

PostPosted: May 21, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an interesting conversation with ertyu regarding the last post.
It seems although we always want to stick it back to the "man, or excersise what we believe to be an oportunity to exercise or rights under the Cdn Charter of rights and freedoms, but, What you where doing was an obstruction of Justice.
Although be it a minor offence or what we think of as nothing, but advising someone who "has commiteed a criminal offence or broke the law," we are aiding and abbetting in this illegal activity. As such you can possibly be charged for obstruction of justice by just simply holding a sign saying there is a speed trap, or the police are conducting stop checks etc.
We see this as slowing down the traffic, but tell that to the families who may possibly be affected by those same people who may carelessly cause or create a traffic accident because they where not stopped through your actions. I never heard you say you where innocent, but quite the opposite you described your offence as if you agreed you where caught doing something wrong. Thats the right way to descibe it, I did it, I got caught, now i gotta pay...I know what the speed limits are and it serves me right!
But to go out and show them that I can do this to stick it to you is also not the way to solve the issue of unmarked cars, or sneeky police just trying to get those who deserve not to drive, or take the "Privilage" of driving to extreemes where others are affected.
I hope this doesn't just become a way for those in disagreement take issue and pot shots at the views expressed here...but take this discussion and build on it.
Be safe
Dragonfreys

PostPosted: May 22, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Interesting Caching Stories Reply with quote

Cache and Cary wrote:
"I want to thank you for slowing down all those cars. Because, that's what I am out here to do, is slow down speeding cars." I thought to myself, "Yeah right!!! You're here to make money off of people in such a way that they do not know that they did something illegal until they get a notice in the mail days later! " But I did NOT say this out loud.

I think in all probability that person told you the truth. I don't know the politics of where the money from photo radar goes but I believe any strategy, including yours, to slow people down is a good thing. As a volunteer firefighter I have been witness to the results of speed on highways. The faster the vehicles are going when things go wrong, the bigger mess it makes. Cutting people out of cars, or holding parts of them together while the ambulance packages them up, gives you time to reflect on how long its going to take them to recover from the accident, if they ever do. All due to some self imposed urgency to save a little bit of time in transit.

I get a kick out of people who are afraid of coming out to the woods for fear of bears, and I can understand the fear of desperate people of the inner city, but it is by far most dangerous to travel in an automobile.

World Health Organization wrote:
Globally, road traffic injuries are the leading cause of death among young people aged 10-24 years. Each year nearly 400 000 people under 25 die on the world’s roads – an average of 1049 a day. Most of these deaths occur in low- and middle-income countries and among vulnerable road users – pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and those using public transport.

Road traffic injuries can be prevented. A number of targeted interventions have proved to be effective in addressing these risk factors and reducing road traffic injuries among young people. These interventions include separating different types of road users, reducing speed, lower blood alcohol limits and graduated driver licensing schemes for novice drivers.

The Canadian Safety Council has flagged speed as a growing concern especially with the rash of car adds showing faster more powerful vehicles on closed courses.
http://www.safety-council.org/info/traffic/speed.html

All that being said I have been lucky not to have a speeding ticket. I have been stopped and warned, and I know that I regularly take advantage of the 10% margin generally afforded by highway patrols. I know I am breaking the law and so does everyone else that has a working speedometer on their vehicle. We accept the risks and push the line and we get upset when we are caught. We are human. Hopefully we will learn to slow down before it catches up with us. We might just save having to experience the anquish and regret that is just as human when something goes wrong.

My two cents,

Dragonfreys
Cache and Cary

PostPosted: May 22, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Freedom of speech Reply with quote

I realized when I posted this, at another cacher's urging, that some of the other cachers might not agree with I did.

That's okay. You can do that, we have free speech.

It's curious how "free speech" might become "obstruction of justice" when those in power deem you to be "troublesome".
slippery_1

PostPosted: May 22, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Freedom of speech Reply with quote

Cache and Cary wrote:
those in power deem you to be "troublesome".

At no time did I or ever mean to suggest this about you or anyone else...
I made an observation formulated a responce to your comments and then wrote them down.
I have also taught my children and those around me, that if you have been caught with your hands in the cookie jar, then fess up to it and make less of your actions, sometimes the punishment may be less than you expect if handled correctly. But then I'm still waiting for the less in my life...
slippery_1

PostPosted: May 26, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: I actualy have an interesting Story now Reply with quote

The Ruins
by dennisbear1 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=909d0e3e-5c02-4248-9488-87a078efe128

I haven't thought about this location since I was likely a child. Then someone goes and places a cache here and man the memories as well as the stories I was told as a child filter back and then consumes me now.
I recall how my grandfather was reported to have been a caretaker of this property and how as a child I played all over this property, gopher hunting, showing horses, meeting girls , attending what i thought was the biggest and best summer fair etc.
So anyways, I decide to then make it a mission, find out more about my grandfather, see if anyone would have any pictures of him, and to then see about the actual ruins location. It has been verified his name was Charles Young, and he had been employed as a groundskeeper from 1937- 1951 and his residence was simpley listed as 13th and Brandon Ave.
In this post, I will not give out the actual location so you all can go find it.
but suffice it to say I actualy rmember this when it housed what was there in it's time...cough, cough cough.

The stories I am seeking are not ones that can just be told by family members, but actual history if there is any. And then to see if there is anyway now my grandfather could be memorialized as a pioneer to this property.
Because I am thinking this i believe I see an actual cache in the making for his home area.
If anyone can find any information relating to this I would appreciate it, but if anything significant come Up I will update.
netleyhunter

PostPosted: May 28, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on these posts I can safely say I am more comfortable geocaching outside the city in the more rual settings. Give me a hike through the Whiteshell looking for a geocache rather than looking for cache in the city and hooking up with some of the members of the Manitoba Warriors any day!
Jimbo 2

PostPosted: May 28, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I feel safer caching out in the wilderness than in Winnipeg.
I would also feel safer caching in a lower crime city, like Calgary, Edmonton,or Toronto....
MuStash

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a warm and fuzzy caching story:

While I was planning my Elk Isand and Beachcomber geocaches, I spent quite a bit of time hiking along untamed natural beaches. I always enjoy observing whatever nature shows me on any given day. Through the media I had heard a bit about the Piping Plover (rhymes with lover) and knew that it was at least an uncommon bird. Realizing that my hikes were taking me through territory that the Piping Plover might consider home, I read up on them to get a fresh image in my mind so that I could positively identify it if I saw one.

Well as good fortune would have it, on June 3 I was on Elk Island and encountered a pair of Piping Plovers on the beach. I observed them with field glasses for about 10 minutes, took some photos and also saved the spot’s coordinates in my GPS.

When I got home, I did some internet research and discovered that officially the Piping Plover is considered a “species at risk” in Manitoba. The last Manitoba census counted only 26 of them. I e-mailed my photos and the coordinates of the sighting to the provincial government authority. He sent the information on to a society of volunteers who are trying to protect and enhance these birds. Within a day, they had a field person visit the sighting area. They found the birds and their nest with 4 eggs in it. An enclosure was erected around the nest to protect it from predators. The society will continue to monitor the situation.

I am hoping to become a godfather some day soon.
netleyhunter

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome story MuStash! Good for you to help out this speices at Risk. I know at St.Ambroise (north of Portage) they close down the beach to give the pipping plover a chance to nest with out people distrubing the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MBGA Forum Index -> Caching Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: